Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Solid game tonight from Lysell. Had several shifts where he was a puck hound and went right after it - winning battles, drawing penalties, using teammates, making plays. Took a couple of hard hits but I did see him peel away from some contact - which I'm not upset at seeing from a player like him. I'd rather see someone as slight as him avoid contact when he can as long as he's making the play. He'll figure out what he can and can't get away with once he's off the rookie starting blocks.
I think the Bruins will need this kid in the lineup. He gives you the speed that departed with Jake DeBrusk. Nobody is catching this kid from behind. He needs to be protected.

I think you have to put some size on Lysell's line. Put Max Jones on his line or Kastelic. You gotta protect Pasta as well. No more BS from guys like Tom Wilson. I am so sick of his S**t. He goes after smaller guys. He went after Lysell in an exhibition game for christ sakes. This is why the Bruins got bigger. Cannot wait to see Zad!

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins and BTO

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Got it!

Lysell certainly looked solid in every way last night.
The problem with his first game the puck didn’t find him and when it did it was like it was bouncy - but that is on him

His skating is A or A-
His size is an acceptable level - low end of medium
Shot is very good
Hockey instincts really good

They need two top 6 young players because Marchand getting along and Coyle is a 2/3

Poitras looks like he’s going to be one sooner rather then later (he’s definitely got some Savard in him)

They need Lysell to stick this

It doesn’t matter if Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, and Detroit have 2.3 Million prospects - you can only have 6 top six forwards

Those teams don’t have Bruins D or with Sway the G

So they will not catch Bruins anytime soon

Kuntar & Duran are intriguing and exciting but they are no where near top 6 at this point

A for effort but results are skill driven here

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Funny that if both Lysell and Brazeau look good, Bruins suddenly have too many right wingers.

Lysell
Brazeau
Pasta
Geekie
Kastelic
Johnson
Brown

Brown and Kastelic are both 4th liners who can also play center. Geekie and Johnson can play center also. Thinking Lysell and Johnson really need to impress to stick around.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Poitras and Lysell not in the opening night top 9 would be malfeasance.
It could very well happen only because they can clear waivers and bruins may want to see how some players perform NHL level. If I were GM I would take the first 10 games and insert/remove top camp performance players that are longer tenure at Providence. Merk is a perfect example. See what you got approach is the prudent approach for this fan.

I do agree Potsie and Lysell should be on the team but willing to send them down for a bit to check out other players.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It could very well happen only because they can clear waivers and bruins may want to see how some players perform NHL level. If I were GM I would take the first 10 games and insert/remove top camp performance players that are longer tenure at Providence. Merk is a perfect example. See what you got approach is the prudent approach for this fan.

I do agree Potsie and Lysell should be on the team but willing to send them down for a bit to check out other players.
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Opening night is Florida. there is a part of me that just wants to dress all the big guys they have and have a few take liberties with them all night (where are you Jeffrey Viel) :laugh: then switch the the lineu we may want on a regular basis after.

It will be a battle, and they may well lose a player or two on waivers this year. Tufte sure doesn't look like someone who should be sent down, but it's only been 2 games so far, but he looks awesome

Reactions: BTO

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Brazeau makes the team there is only room for one poitris or lysel unless they are they r13th forward which won't happen

It's hard to see a situation where Braz does not get a good look in the early lineup unless he gets hurt. He earned it with his play last season. And you are right, Poitras and Lysell aren't served by watching from the 9th floor when they could be getting reps and growing their games in Providence. Merk is the bubble guy to me and maybe at his age now he is the guy they keep up and give him the chance to sink or swim since Poitras and Lysell to me are the better prospects and young enough that there is no immediate rush to get them on the roster.

Reactions: Kegs

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It's hard to see a situation where Braz does not get a good look in the early lineup unless he gets hurt. He earned it with his play last season. And you are right, Poitras and Lysell aren't served by watching from the 9th floor when they could be getting reps and growing their games in Providence. Merk is the bubble guy to me and maybe at his age now he is the guy they keep up and give him the chance to sink or swim since Poitras and Lysell to me are the better prospects and young enough that there is no immediate rush to get them on the roster.
Reminds me a bit of Dave Andreychuk, not the most skillful guy in the world but he gets to where the goals are scored and he knows how to finish.

Probably a more appropriate comp would be Mike Knuble.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Funny that if both Lysell and Brazeau look good, Bruins suddenly have too many right wingers.

Lysell
Brazeau
Pasta
Geekie
Kastelic
Johnson
Brown

Brown and Kastelic are both 4th liners who can also play center. Geekie and Johnson can play center also. Thinking Lysell and Johnson really need to impress to stick around.
Lysell has waivers so unless he moon walks while scoring a couple more he’s down

They won’t lose Braz to keep Lysell

My 9/25 feeling

Zacha- EL- Pasta

Marchand- Coyle - Johnson

Freddy- Poitras- Geek

Beecher - Kastelic- Jones
Braz

Lysell down but he’s a long termer if he plays really well

Brown is Brown ~ he will be up and down before he ends up in the organization or coaching college hockey

Solved

Merk I think has waivers as well - I would not expose him

Numbers against 23 & 42 if everyone healthy if not, gotta think one or both stay

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Great comments. Great attitude.

OT: I love that he says it's easier for him to be physical. Having kids who play, it's super easy to be physical when you're the biggest kid on the ice. It's easy to be 'tough' and knock the smaller kids around, but it isn't brave. It's the small players that are brave. The guys who engage in battle with someone a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier. I don't think those guys get enough credit for their heart in youth sports or the NHL. It always galled me that folks talked about Grzelcyk like he was afraid. Bullshit. That guy battled as hard as he could. He didn't have the size or strength to overpower people in certain situations but he battled and the folks who act like he didn't bug the shit out of me. They root for the bullies and mock the bullied even when the bullied stand in and take a pounding for the team.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lysell has waivers so unless he moon walks while scoring a couple more he’s down

My 9/25 feeling

Zacha- EL- Pasta

Freddy- Poitras- Geek

Braz

Brown is Brown ~ he will be up and down before he ends up in the organization or coaching college hockey

Solved

Numbers against 23 & 42 if everyone healthy if not, gotta think one or both stay

Johnson made a few plays last night, but he should in what was basically an AHL game. He should be head and shoulders above that group. I would hate to lose someone like tufte to keep Johnson around, but we will see what happens.

Lysell I want to know before Thanksgiving if he is the solution or not. Whether that means opening night or not who knows, but sending him down to take a beating in the AHL doesn't prove anything for him

You see that Brown is just better than most of these guys when playing AHL type games. Solid guy who I have no problem riding the shuttle. Never hurts you when in Boston lineup, and coach on the ice in Providence

Merk is not an NHL center. He made some plays last night, but also made some plays that show why he isn't a c in this league

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Lysell
Brazeau
Pasta
Geekie
Kastelic
Johnson
Brown

I think Johnson is the "insurance policy" if Lysell doesn't look good this pre-season. If Lysell sticks, then I don't know if they offer Johnson a contract. Brown will be sent down to the AHL again unless there are injuries.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

My 9/25 feeling

Zacha- EL- Pasta

Freddy- Poitras- Geek

Braz

Solved

I'll be disappointed if Brazeau isn't playing.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think Johnson is the "insurance policy" if Lysell doesn't look good this pre-season. If Lysell sticks, then I don't know if they offer Johnson a contract. Brown will be sent down to the AHL again unless there are injuries.
Hope so

Johnson has that Tampa stamp

I'll be disappointed if Brazeau isn't playing.
Was he at practice today ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad