Training Camp Standouts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Raty has shown improvement and may make the team. Felton has come out of nowhere to have a couple of impressive games. Tocchet has been quite positive about Alriksson and this player got a contract.

Lekkermaki looks like he will need more time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How has Konsta Helenius looked in preseason? I liked that pick when it was announced as he was bit higher on my list than where he was picked up.

There are definite flashes of talent, but he needs to adjust to the speed and timing of the North American game.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
For keeper league purpose, Do you see Lohrei and Poitras producing offensively?
this year, i can see poitras around 40 points. lohrei maybe 25-30.

long term, poitras maybe 60, lohrei 40 if they hit full potential. i think lohrei is long term PP1 QB personally.

Reactions: goforit

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pens:

Brunicke is raw but has really popped from a talent perspective. The skating/athleticism/size combo is high end. In that sense, he looks closer to a lottery pick than a mid 2nd. If he can take strides with his quick game and create more offense with his brain and not necessarily just out-athleting guys, he could be a real player. Still as it sits he has the tools to be a second pair guy even if he doesn’t refine his game too much in the next 2-3 years. I think it’s too early to read into much and guys that can skate like he can always look good in camp but about as exciting as the 44th pick can look fresh off his draft.

Pickering has almost been the opposite. You’d maybe love it if he flashed more explosion and ability to take over shifts but he’s been huge, smooth, and subtle (in a good way). Has good hands for a D. Encouraging after his counting stats stalled in junior.

McGroarty will be a beast if/when he gets stronger. Already smart positionally. Skating has improved, I’d argue his balance/core strength is a bigger issue. He looks close to being ready as the game is not too fast for him at all. I think I’d have preferred if he played in the NCAA this year though.

Poulin has been disappointing in his “waiver year”.

Koivunen looks like a guy who is in danger of being AAAA type if he doesn’t add a step. Too small to not be evasive.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A few standouts from different teams.

Artem Grushnikov - Smart & physical young defender. I don't believe he makes the team but he's absolutely been one of their best defenders in camp and will play big minutes in a year or two. He's been terrific, smart and gritty.

The #6 spot is just waiting for this guy. He's my first callup for a bottom pairing role.

Hunter or Poirier need to battle it out if we need a top 4 guy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A few standouts from different teams.

Artem Grushnikov - Smart & physical young defender. I don't believe he makes the team but he's absolutely been one of their best defenders in camp and will play big minutes in a year or two. He's been terrific, smart and gritty.

Hunter St. Martin - Despite the 6th round overager draft pedigree, St. Martin has been very noticeable for the Panthers, combining great wheels with maximum effort on every shift. It's not hard at all imagining him being a bottom 6 forward, killing penalties and being dangerous off the rush in the NHL. He's very lanky could add 10-15 pounds of muscle and be a real problem for other teams in a couple of years.

Oliver Kapanen has been all over the ice for Montreal....smart, fast, defensively aware and sound. I don't think he's strong enough to endure the rigors of an NHL season yet but he's definitely a player and will contribute nicely to the middle 6 in Montreal.

Lane Hutson's offensive and zone entry gifts are so undeniable that I have a hard time thinking that he won't make the team and also run the Habs 1st PP unit. The problem is that he's going to have to have extremely sheltered minutes because defensively he's a turnstyle. He simply cannot yet defend well in the NHL. He's not strong enough and despite his extraordinary 4 way agility, he's not a blazing skater. Such a fun player to watch.

Tristan Luneau has been very effective as well, he will help Anaheim's sorry defense right away. Excellent skater, very smart, surprisingly tough and well positioned. I believe he deserves to make the team and will have an opportunity to move up the line-up.
The ducks have been high on luneau since we drafted him…. i don’t think they’ve even considered letting him spend some time in the AHL.

Well rounded RHD, I feel like he has top pair upside if he can stay healthy. He’s going to be a key part of our defense for a long time.

Pretty solid defensive draft that year… Casey Hutson and luneau all look like they should have been 1st round picks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lauko has probably won a starting spot. Has scored, shown off his speed, grittiness, and overall smart play. Ben Jones has scored some nice goals, but is a long shot to make the roster. Marat Khusnutdinov is a lock to make it, but hasn't hurt his case by playing with speed, a bit of skill, as well as being good on the PK and FO.

I think Ohgren might not make the team out of camp. He's not been bad, but I think they'd rather play him top line minutes in the AHL than sporadic minutes in NHL, for now. Want to see him use that nice shot of his and develop into a legit top 9, if not top 6 guy, a couple of years from now. I don't think his play deserves him a top 9 spot right now

Chisholm, the guy MN got on waivers last year, has looked good. Nice skater, good with the puck, good decisions, even if he isn't the most physical defender ... #2PP material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad