News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is it possible that Nurse was banged up in playoffs?
Physical limitations can cause brain farts trying to compensate

He wasn’t anywhere near his best for large stretches last season and in playoffs became worse. He did get hurt but it was in the finals when he turned into a hit along the wall I think Game 5. That is the injury that he was apparently nursing (no pun intended) this training camp according to Stauffer.

The playoffs last year and the 1 series against Colorado when he was injured.

His play has been pretty consistent other than those 2 things

He wasn’t hurt all playoffs and he had a lot of bad stretches last year. Plus he didn’t play with that edge and nastiness that seems to bring out the best in him - that’s what Coffey and KK wants him to get back to in order to get back to being more dominant like he can be.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Stecher is the best partner for Nurse... he's steady defensively... has very good hockey iq (and you know he has to have high hockey iq because a smallish lower offense dman doesn't play 494 games in this league without being a very smart hockey player). Plus Stecher skates reasonably well and can move the puck out of the zone.

Biggest concern is whether he can stay healthy... but every game he's in the lineup... I think he's a positive on his pairing whether that's on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Just out of curiosity I looked at how good the NHL teams were that Stecher has been with over the years:

16/17 29th
17/18 26th
18/29 23rd
19/20 17th
20/21 27th
21/22 25th and 14th (13 games)
22/23 27th and 16th (20 games)
23/24 27th and then Oilers who were 9th (7 games)

He's been on a whole lot of mediocre teams which I'm sure skews his stats somewhat. This Oiler team is easily the best team he's been on and already in his small sample with the team he had 2 assists and +4 in the 7 games he appeared in.

If Emberson can't hack it on the 2nd pairing... Stecher will be solid there... and at the deadline the big upgrade can be made to really improve the 2nd pairing going into the playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad