News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Really want to see someone else tried on McDavid's LW. There is just no getting around what a ghost Nuge is 5v5 when the going gets tough. 4 primary points 5v5 the entire last run while McDavid was blowing the doors off more than any player in 3 decades.

Was McDavid vs the world in the finals with Hyman run down from the run. Nuge was near mint condition but barely any help at all.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can pretty much guarantee those same people would be whining about #2LW if they didn't sign someone like Skinner to address #2RD instead.

Somehow the concept of there only being so much money to go around is lost on some people.
The difference is that we have a #2LW option for free once he’s healthy come later in the season. There’s no cavalry coming on RD.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Really want to see someone else tried on McDavid's LW. There is just no getting around what a ghost Nuge is 5v5 when the going gets tough. 4 primary points 5v5 the entire last run while McDavid was blowing the doors off more than any player in 3 decades.

Was McDavid vs the world in the finals with Hyman run down from the run. Nuge was near mint condition but barely any help at all.
That and Perry is a scrub. No, we don't need his 'leadership' - we are the oldest team in the league.

Reactions: oobga

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can pretty much guarantee those same people would be whining about #2LW if they didn't sign someone like Skinner to address #2RD instead.

Somehow the concept of there only being so much money to go around is lost on some people.

The thing is that we have a #2LW - Kane. He will miss most of the season but his spot is not as critical as the Mt St Helen’s sized hole at #2 RD.

Time will tell if the gamble paid off and no doubt they will try to fill the hole in season but I’m not sure the hole, which has been there for years and years, shouldn’t have been the top priority instead of adding a second second line LW.

Reactions: Messrules11

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The thing is that we have a #2LW - Kane. He will miss most of the season but his spot is not as critical as the Mt St Helen’s sized hole at #2 RD.

Time will tell if the gamble paid off and no doubt they will try to fill the hole in season but I’m not sure the hole, which has been there for years and years, shouldn’t have been the top priority instead of adding a second second line LW.

I'd say #2LW is just as critical. Maybe even more so. Both in impact on the ice(especially since Kane has never really meshed with Leon) and getting Leon re-signed.

Also, I don't really think the options are all that different.

Scenario #1: #2LW(Skinner), eventual #2/3LW(Kane), stop gap D(Emberson) and eventual top4 D(trade deadline)

Scenario #2: stop gap #2LW(whoever), eventual #2/3LW(Kane), top4 D(prioritizing RD), eventual whatever(trade deadline)

You're pretty much ending up in the same place. Just getting the pieces at different times.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The difference is that we have a #2LW option for free once he’s healthy come later in the season. There’s no cavalry coming on RD.
You're giving up assets for a top4 rightie and waiting until the deadline to add an NHL player in both cases though, so is there really much of a difference?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I’d like to see RNH moved down to 3C when Kane is back. We could technically run 3 scoring lines.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'd say #2LW is just as critical. Maybe even more so. Both in impact on the ice(especially since Kane has never really meshed with Leon) and getting Leon re-signed.

Also, I don't really think the options are all that different.

Scenario #1: #2LW(Skinner), eventual #2/3LW(Kane), stop gap D(Emberson) and eventual top4 D(trade deadline)

Scenario #2: stop gap #2LW(whoever), eventual #2/3LW(Kane), top4 D(prioritizing RD), eventual whatever(trade deadline)

You're pretty much ending up in the same place. Just getting the pieces at different times.

Agree about the end result but disagree with the importance of order of importance of the position, especially when the 2LD is a mistake prone Nurse.

Either way the Oilers should make the playoffs without question but concerned another finish below 1st in the Pacific leaves the team fatigued and road weary for a Finals push. Thats where in my mind a solid 2RD from Day One helps cement a 1st place Pacific finish.

I am fascinated by how it will turn out.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The reverse Versteeg?

(correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he sign a PTO here then part way through preseason sign a NHL deal with the Flames?)
Players in PTOs can sign with any nhl team.

Have we had any rounds of cuts yet other than the one at the start of the week?

I’ve been pretty impressed with him honestly. I haven’t seen anything from Ryan or Pederson this preseason. I’d be surprised if Philp starts but I hope he does.
I have an extremely hard time with his name. I always call him Philip. Philp is such a weird name to me.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You're giving up assets for a top4 rightie and waiting until the deadline to add an NHL player in both cases though, so is there really much of a difference?
There were top 4 RHD available in the summer. We don’t know the same will be true come the deadline.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Expecting zero top4 righties to be available at the deadline seems a little doomy and gloomy to me.
Im not saying that’s the case. But it’s not like top 4 RHD grow on trees. And it’s not hard to look at the list of upcoming free agents and see a pretty light list on guys who might be moved.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Im not saying that’s the case. But come on now, when is it not easier to trade for a middle six W than it is a top 4 RHD?

That might be why they went the route they did. Top4 D are traded at the deadline a ton more than during the offseason.

Get a top6 winger for free out of UFA and then plan to pick up a D when they're more readily available.

Reactions: bellagiobob

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Or those people might have preferred an upgrade on Ceci vs spending $10m on middle six forward upgrades.

Time will tell if this was the right move or not. But it’s not like there weren’t other ways to approach this offseason than the one the Oilers took.
And if the Oilers spent cap space and likely assets upgrading the D then those same people would be whining that the Oilers didn’t get wingers for Leon and that the team has no fwd depth.

More then one way to build a team and more then one way to win. They’ve created a lot of flexibility while being patient and it’s going to pay off again like it did with Ekholm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad