News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean, it's the same exact question marks they had going into last season. This isn't anything new.

Ceci was more established so we knew what we had in him but they had to get his salary off the books and take the chance on bringing in somebody different with a different dimension that might have more upside. Options were limited, cap is limited until it accrues so I have no problem with how Jackson/Bowman played this and I think people will see in time that it was the right move to move on from Ceci, not overpay Desharnais and bring in different types of Dmen.

Bottom line is that the Oilers were limited with Ceci and Desharnais, at least with Emberson and accrued cap space (which they wouldn't have had with Ceci and Desharnais here), there's room for growth.

I would have rather instead of acquiring Skinner and knowing Kane would be available for playoffs, get the RD in the off season and use any accrued cap space to shore up weaknesses at the TDL. We didnt really need Jeff Skinner, but we really needed a 2RD, and as you say this isnt anything new. Instead they chose to bulk up the forwards and yet again leave a hole on RD.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Question for Oilers fans, as someone who followed the Ice a lot and am a fan of Savoie, how has he looked in camp?
Definitely been noticeable when I've watched. He stands out. Confident with puck and making plays. He's taking on defenders and beating people with moves. In the Calgary game one sequence the Oilers changed lines and Savoie still gained line and evaded all the Flames defenders. So notable an Ohhhhhhh shot up from the Calgary crowd. All kinds of confidence. In other games he's been able to pick opponents and start cycle. Reminds me of Nuge on the PP. His passing, reads, where to go with puck is very good.

Since when are there 3 days off between games in preseason? Ridiculous. Just get it over with. You don't need this time off with most players playing either or games. Used to be preseason was compressed to games almost every night. makes it even more silly that we have split squad nights.

Oh well.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think a more accurate description is

Oiler fans - upgrade Ceci!

But I think you know that.
I think Emberson has the potential to be an upgrade on Ceci, but if he isn't, our dcore is quite a bit worse.
That said, if Nurse can bounce back to even close to the player he was a couple seasons ago, that would balance it out on its own.
Thankfully we can hopefully add one mid season.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think Emberson has the potential to be an upgrade on Ceci, but if he isn't, our dcore is quite a bit worse.
That said, if Nurse can bounce back to even close to the player he was a couple seasons ago, that would balance it out on its own.
It’ll be easier to add this year because it doesn’t need to be salary in/salary out since we aren’t Into LTIR for once

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’ll be easier to add this year because it doesn’t need to be salary in/salary out since we aren’t Into LTIR for once
Its true. On paper our defense core and depth is worse than it was last year with the potential to be just as good. For our d to be better we have to add a new player, but as long as we can make it to the deadline IN a good playoff spot we can wait. If the team struggles they just have to use the LTIR space at the expense at the deadline.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Most wanted an upgrade on Ceci, we didn’t get that.
And it didn't make sense to do that in the off-season. The Oilers are trying to win a Championship this season and roster depth is necessary to do that.

Foegele and Holloway were big losses in the off-season. Not being able to add Arvidsson and Skinner to offset those losses would've thinned out that depth significantly. Losing Adam Henrique was a very real possibility and he's an important roster player.

The Oilers don't need their playoff ready roster on Game 1 of the regular season. This is a roster with a significantly deeper forward lineup than they had at the beginning of last season. I think people are overreacting to the Ceci loss.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The reverse Versteeg?

(correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he sign a PTO here then part way through preseason sign a NHL deal with the Flames?)

Reactions: vocks10

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I also hope Emberson can be an upgrade on Ceci, or at the very least fill his shoes. But that might be copium. We’ve seen first hand guys like Emberson play a good 30 games on a bad team only to fall back to earth the next season. Brandon Davidson was a perfect example in our own backyard.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Those people might not understand the salary cap then.

The only way to upgrade on Ceci without subtracting from the roster, is waiting until the deadline when they have accrued cap space aka what they've explicitly said the plan is.
Or those people might have preferred an upgrade on Ceci vs spending $10m on middle six forward upgrades.

Time will tell if this was the right move or not. But it’s not like there weren’t other ways to approach this offseason than the one the Oilers took.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or those people might have preferred an upgrade on Ceci vs spending $10m on middle six forward upgrades.

Time will tell if this was the right move or not. But it’s not like there weren’t other ways to approach this offseason than the one the Oilers took.
I can pretty much guarantee those same people would be whining about #2LW if they didn't sign someone like Skinner to address #2RD instead.

Somehow the concept of there only being so much money to go around is lost on some people.

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad