News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I haven’t watched him much from Jr but from what I saw he always struck me as the complimentary scorer player. Watching him in Bako and his training camps he seems to be more a finesse player - something we just don’t need.

I’d rather we bet on players that fit the 3/4 line mold than scorers that late. Late round scorers with no size rarely pan out and we need the complimentary players at cheap contracts to fill out our roster down the road.
Not much of a finesse guy. He's a really solid transition winger who does a good job of playing off of skilled linemates. He's better suited playing with a puck transporter at even strength. He's also a weapon on the powerplay. That's a useful player.

If you can unlock some offense this year in the A, it's not hard seeing him build some momentum to an eventual call up.

I think that most effective bottom six type players start off as effective offensive players at lower levels. It's not always physical, PK types.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Savoie
Podkolzin-Philp-Brown
Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Stetcher
Brown

Skinner
Pickard

Kane on IR
Ryan waived to minors

Lets get a little bit of extra size down the middle and some more speed/youth in the bottom 6. Perry can fill in where needed.

Give me an L instead of an S attached to "avoie" and I like the look of that.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They have an infinitesimally small chance at becoming a full time NHLer but I prefer how we made our late picks this year, getting guys with character who will never be scorers but may turn out to be solid role players. Petrov for me had such a small chance at latching on as a top 6 guy that it wasn't worth the pick. Pick your shit disturbers, your long shot big D men like Desharnais, your character guys late for a team as offensively stacked as the Oilers. McDavid and Co can handle the offence. Where we will need help is with cheap role players, checkers, depth D men and penalty killers.
Not to pile on here. But I loved the late round bet on Petrov. I think he's shown solid character in choosing to play in Northern Ontario's North Bay, has learned English seemingly effortlessly, has shown an adaptable game in a junior with goal scoring and playmaking.

Hardest jump to make is junior to pro. Petrov hit the wall and has a lot to prove following a largely ineffective first year and this year's poor Rookie Tournament and main camp. This is a huge year for the player. The odds are always against six round players ever making it to NHL apex level competition. But good to draft a range of player types regardless of immediate need.

Let's see what Petrov does with a clear message his camp wasn't good enough.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not to pile on here. But I loved the late round bet on Petrov. I think he's shown solid character in choosing to play in Northern Ontario's North Bay, has learned English seemingly effortlessly, has shown an adaptable game in a junior with goal scoring and playmaking.

Hardest jump to make is junior to pro. Petrov hit the wall and has a lot to prove following a largely ineffective first year and this year's poor Rookie Tournament and main camp. This is a huge year for the player. The odds are always against six round players ever making it to NHL apex level competition. But good to draft a range of player types regardless of immediate need.

Let's see what Petrov does with a clear message his camp wasn't good enough.

By character I mean what they show on the ice. He doesn’t have much size, have yet to see him throw a check, doesn’t back check well, doesn’t “dig in” which all speak to him showing to be a production player without a commitment to the NHL openings this team will have.

Just my point of view right or wrong. Didn’t line the pick then. Don’t like it now.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
By character I mean what they show on the ice. He doesn’t have much size, have yet to see him throw a check, doesn’t back check well, doesn’t “dig in” which all speak to him showing to be a production player without a commitment to the NHL openings this team will have.

Just my point of view right or wrong. Didn’t line the pick then. Don’t like it now.
Gotcha. Fair points. His skill is his calling card but agree that's not enough for virtually all players to coast on in moving up the food chain from junior to pro. Will never be a heavy player but showing aptitude, willingness and work boots to play a two-way game is a critical component of his development needs. Of course that's a moot point if he can't score and produce against AHL competition.

Petrov made a bid decision to jump to North America and play in somewhat remote North Bay which isn't necessarily a traditional path for Russian players. His ability to learn English too was impressed. But at pro level the mental strength, desire, resiliency, grit and determination is huge factor that separates those that ultimately step up to NHL apex competition. This is a defining year for him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For all his horrible management, and by god there was a lot, Chiarelli did hit on quite a few mid to late round D-picks.

Caleb Jones
Ethan Bear
John Marino
Vincent Desharnais
Michael Kesselring

Hell, there’s still an outside chance Phillip Kemp could get a look as a bottom pair guy.

Nothing to write home about, but miles better than anything before or since.

Unfortunately for him he blew it on his higher picks by passing on all of Barzal/Connor/Chabot/Boeser, Aho, DeBrincat, Tkachuk, etc. etc. Blowing all those picks effectively cost him his job. If he could have recoginized any one of those players was going to be really good, he would have likely bought himself enough time to save his job.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m
Unfortunately for him he blew it on his higher picks by passing on all of Barzal/Connor/Chabot/Boeser, Aho, DeBrincat, Tkachuk, etc. etc. Blowing all those picks effectively cost him his job. If he could have recoginized any one of those players was going to be really good, he would have likely bought himself enough time to save his job.
Oh yeah, he did far more bad than good. But for depth drafting he did pretty good.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Question for Oilers fans, as someone who followed the Ice a lot and am a fan of Savoie, how has he looked in camp?
Hes had his moments, just needs to get used to the pro game and be engaged more consistently. Expected from a 20 year old with 1 pro game of experience.

Reactions: surixon

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Question for Oilers fans, as someone who followed the Ice a lot and am a fan of Savoie, how has he looked in camp?
They haven't really given him a shot with skilled linemates yet, I think his best linemate so far has been Philp. He probably has to really earn his chance to play with Draisaitl and McDavid in the coaching staffs eyes, but I would like to see him given a pre-season game with one of them.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its hard to tell honestly. 3 of the 4 games haven’t been competitive as Oilers don’t tend to play their veterans or skilled players.

I think Savoie and Philp have had their moments and have showed pretty well. They look better than most of our players. Which is sort of a compliment and damning at the same time, because for the most part, we are sleepwalking through preseason. Hopefully the next four games will be a step up and we can evaluate the roster a bit better.

Reactions: K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad