News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Have to say that the hand wringing over Brown is over the top and dumbfounding.

Does it make obvious sense why they signed him for 3 years? No.

Is he an everyday NHL D man? No.

Does it matter whatsoever? No.

There is zero consequence to having Brown signed unless you’re Katz, who should probably be asking why he’s spending $3M in cash on him. For literally anyone else it does not matter. Time to move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There is zero consequence to having Brown signed unless you’re Katz, who should probably be asking why he’s spending $3M in cash on him. For literally anyone else it does not matter. Time to move on.

They signed him for 3 years because they want to use him as a 7D who is up and down from the AHL but don't want him to be picked off waivers easily, so they went on contract length to discourage that.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions

It matters if our coach plays him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Gleason going to make this team this year

I wrote in the GDT that he's jumped ahead of Dermott and Kemp through 2 games in my book. It's back to back training camps where he's been one of their more noticeable (in a good way) defencemen.

It's not like the Oilers #7 is written in stone, so I'd like to see a guy get rewarded for putting his best foot forward. I also like that he brings the ability to rush and stickhandle with the puck, which (outside of Stecher) no one on the backend has that ability to do.

There's also something to be said for the guy who's going to be starving for a true NHL chance. Nurse, Kulak, and Broberg all have reservations about playing the right side? Well I'm pretty sure Gleason would agree to jump through flaming hoops as intermission entertainment if it got him a true NHL shot, let alone play his offside.

The Oil should still keep a close look at the waiver wire over the next 2 weeks. But at the moment my current depth chart is

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Emberson
Gleason

Dermott-Carrick
Dineen-Brown
Hoefenmayer-Kemp/Wanner

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Going to be hard to re-live that game 7 though. I like to just pretend that never happened. Just like in 2006, no Stanley Cup was awarded.

I can’t do it and I can’t watch any Leafer programming or Matt Tkachuk so I’ll give the series a miss.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad