News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well you didn't answer the question about how you expected to profit from the development.

So without the district, the downtown would be as good? Better? Ridiculous.

Since you have all the answers, I would like to know exactly how much your property taxes went up to support that project. Waiting.

I can't believe people still bitch about this not being a positive change for the city.
Yup, if DT was truly dieing then building the ice district there was genius idea. Central location where no one wanted to go previously. Now because of it parking costs can remain outrageous.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Holy shit it says we are playing Winnipeg tomorrow at 3pm pst. Any idea if these will be streamed for free or do we have to sign up and pay?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The decline of the DT core significantly predates the arena though. Major retailers were bailing for years. Part of this is simply that Edmontonians like their local amenities. You are also correct that it is hard to actually quantify the economic benefit of an arena because it is challenging to determine how much activity is truly new and how much is just transferred from some other place.

As someone who lives in a community of 600k without one, I view major arenas as infrastructure. Having one allows a city opportunities that they would not otherwise have. But like most infrastructure projects some will benefit others won't. For example, the Gateway Boulevard exchange project cost $238M. It was a pretty crucial project for anyone traveling in that area. But my 82 year old mother in law contributed to its construction and will almost surely never even see the result.

If you want something a little closer in spirit take a look at the Terwilliger Rec Center. The cost came in at $108M. A portion of my taxes went to pay for that but I don't even know where it is. We had a similar development in my city that cost me as a tax payer far more on an individual basis than the arena cost Edmontonians. And I have only been in the facility once for an open house.

What complicates the issue for an arena is that private business makes a lot of money off the project. This tends to color people's impression of the project, which I certainly get. But again as someone who lives in a place that lacks such a facility I think that the city would be a lesser place without it. Where I live the 407 highway is privatized but it is clearly still an important piece of infrastructure. Even people who never travel on the road benefit because it takes some pressure off the truly insane 401.
Agreed that the decline has been going on for years. but after all the attempt to revitalize and here we are. Dead DT. Dead retail,

I don't mind at all paying for rec center. Benefit to that. Not to building more gambling facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yup, if DT was truly dieing then building the ice district there was genius idea. Central location where no one wanted to go previously. Now because of it parking costs can remain outrageous.
"Lets build it where they won't come."

No help either that the entertainment industry is flat as well. Outside of hockey not much to see. Back to hockey then..

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With lots of jobs now having work from home options, downtowns won’t thrive nearly as much as they used to even 10 years ago

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Philp, Savoie, Kemp according to Stauffer yesterday.
That’s great news. I think Savoie starts with Bakersfield regardless but Kemp could compete with Emberson, Brown, and Stecher (along with all the AHL guys like Gleason and Carrick) for one of the two right defence spots and Philp could earn that 4th line centre role with some strong play.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That’s great news. I think Savoie starts with Bakersfield regardless but Kemp could compete with Emberson, Brown, and Stecher (along with all the AHL guys like Gleason and Carrick) for one of the two right defence spots and Philp could earn that 4th line centre role with some strong play.
I think Philp would have to show strong in one of the last couple Preseason games to get that push, I think he'll need a bit of time in Bako to get used to game pace again, but it does bode well for him getting a shot at the NHL this year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
With lots of jobs now having work from home options, downtowns won’t thrive nearly as much as they used to even 10 years ago
It's more about where people live, not work.

If you can reside downtown with amenities, recreation, night life etc that will appeal to younger adults.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
"Lets build it where they won't come."

No help either that the entertainment industry is flat as well. Outside of hockey not much to see. Back to hockey then..
As if getting people to get to Oilers games is a struggle in Edmonton. No one has issues getting to ice district and moss pits when Oilers are playing.
Say whatever you want about rest of downtown amd entertainment industry but ice district has been the saviour of many DT businesses post covid.

With Jarventie and Kane injured a roster spot is up for grabs for Savoie and about a half dozen others.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Edmonton is still ranked as the best value living for a major city in Canada. Its because of affordable (relatively) housing and a growing and diverse job market.

Katz and other developers understand they need people residing downtown before they can grow the development around it.

Drive downtown and see all the new condo units under construction everywhere. It will feed the district and it will thrive over time. It's a long play.
What bs. Housing starts and population increase higher everywhere than it is in the DT.

All I see under construction DT is all the LRT, bike lanes, road closures etc. You'll find more builds almost anywhere else.

Agreed that Edmonton is still affordable and better option than some other places but I don't know anybody that doesn't regret living dt now.

Indeed Edmonton DT is one of the few that has had population decline at times.

So the bolded is straight up misleading.

Edmonton population growth is frenetic, but NOT in the DT which is stagnated.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's more about where people live, not work.

If you can reside downtown with amenities, recreation, night life etc that will appeal to younger adults.
Yeah, I loved living in and around the downtown of Chicago for over a decade. There was always so much to do and it had a great atmosphere to meet new people.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
What bs. Housing starts and population increase higher everywhere than it is in the DT.

All I see under construction DT is all the LRT, bike lanes, road closures etc. You'll find more builds almost anywhere else.

Agreed that Edmonton is still affordable and better option than some other places but I don't know anybody that doesn't regret living dt now.

Indeed Edmonton DT is one of the few that has had population decline at times.

So the bolded is straight up misleading.

Edmonton population growth is frenetic, but NOT in the DT which is stagnated.
How do you know anything about the downtown when you clearly stated its if no use to you and you don't profit from it?

Do you spend your time digging up opinions to support your position or have you actually been down there lately?

Go for a drive instead and talk to people half your ago instead of yelling at the clouds in Millwoods.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
As if getting people to get to Oilers games is a struggle in Edmonton. No one has issues getting to ice district and moss pits when Oilers are playing.
Say whatever you want about rest of downtown amd entertainment industry but ice district has been the saviour of many DT businesses post covid.

With Jarventie and Kane injured a roster spot is up for grabs for Savoie and about a half dozen others.
The district saw the benefit of the full length of playoffs. So that it was an uncharacteristically better year. More hockey events, but overall not a lot of huge draw events through 365days and otherwise the DT is dead. Went through there on Alberta Day and there were more people at the Leg on a Sunday than walking around DT. You might see one person on a block and ALL the businesses, restaurants, bars were closed. Walked from 100st to 107st along Jasper Avenue and the only place open was the Wee book inn. Deader than dead down there.

City Center Mall is half boarded up or vacant. Nobody wants to have a business there.

I didn't say its difficult to get DT. Any of the slimebucket LRT trains go there. If you don't mind secondhand crack smoke. Valley line not as bad yet as Capital line for druggies but give it time, they'll take that over too.

Parking DT? lol, no way I'm spending 30bucks to go there. Not the only one as Downtown parking revenues are a lot lower than had been expected. The city response to this is to make parking rates more expensive. lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
How do you know anything about the downtown when you clearly stated its if no use to you and you don't profit from it?

Do you spend your time digging up opinions to support your position or have you actually been down there lately?

Go for a drive instead and talk to people half your ago instead of yelling at the clouds in Millwoods.
Must be better to make up shit. Like I said I was DT on Alberta Day. Walked all over there and the only positive thing I could say is I saw less crack smoking on the streets than expected. I saw windows broken all over, boarded up, Saw every place on Jasper Avenue closed on a Sunday. Everything but tumbleweeds.

But apparently you're immune to the facts that DT is stagnated and has been for a longtime.

Maybe try substantiating your position. DT retail, housing starts etc is flat as a pancake. I've cited all that. You respond with crap.

Guess all those bikelanes, LRT lines, Arena district and tons of other funded developments didn't help. The RAM even has less visitor numbers than the closed Provincial Museum had. Nobody wants to go there.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
Replacement does not want to go downtown. Therefore, NOBODY wants to go downtown. This guy and his opinions presented as facts is nauseating.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The district saw the benefit of the full length of playoffs. So that it was an uncharacteristically better year. More hockey events, but overall not a lot of huge draw events through 365days and otherwise the DT is dead. Went through there on Alberta Day and there were more people at the Leg on a Sunday than walking around DT. You might see one person on a block and ALL the businesses, restaurants, bars were closed. Walked from 100st to 107st along Jasper Avenue and the only place open was the Wee book inn. Deader than dead down there.

City Center Mall is half boarded up or vacant. Nobody wants to have a business there.

I didn't say its difficult to get DT. Any of the slimebucket LRT trains go there. If you don't mind secondhand crack smoke. Valley line not as bad yet as Capital line for druggies but give it time, they'll take that over too.

Parking DT? lol, no way I'm spending 30bucks to go there. Not the only one as Downtown parking revenues are a lot lower than had been expected. The city response to this is to make parking rates more expensive. lol
So you seriously think that having the arena in DT was bad for the city? DT businesses? Somehow it contributed to shutting down of city mall? homelessness?

You are right that there are very few reasons left for a couple or a family to go DT after office hours. ice district oilkings/oilers games are certainly a major one.

Replacement does not want to go downtown. Therefore, NOBODY wants to go downtown. This guy and his opinions presented as facts is nauseating.
There are some who argue(d) that Oilers landing McDavid was the worst thing that could've happened to this franchise.
Ice district is #97 of DT.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So you seriously think that having the arena in DT was bad for the city? DT businesses? Somehow it contributed to shutting down of city mall? homelessness?

You are right that there are very few reasons left for a couple or a family to go DT after office hours. ice district oilkings/oilers games are certainly a major one.

There are some who argue(d) that Oilers landing McDavid was the worst thing that could've happened to this franchise.
Ice district is #97 of DT.
DT Edmonton is probably a lost cause. It has been mostly since the end of the 70's.

Does the Arena district make it better? One can argue that. But as much analysis has said most of it is just bean shifting. For instance money going to Marriot used to be going to the Sutton and Westin that are doing poor business now. Most of the uptick in the Ice District is countered by a decrease in the Arts district.

Yes, as well, security and policing has had to be diverted to arena district, inordinately, and away from other regions of the DT. So in that it does add to other problems.

No easy answers. But DT is not a people or family friendly place. Nothing evokes that more than the cliff drop off in visitors at the RAM or the DT EPL etc.

There will be families there tomorrow, which is good, but probably not for long after the practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad