News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well you didn't answer the question about how you expected to profit from the development.

So without the district, the downtown would be as good? Better? Ridiculous.

Since you have all the answers, I would like to know exactly how much your property taxes went up to support that project. Waiting.

I can't believe people still bitch about this not being a positive change for the city.
Yup, if DT was truly dieing then building the ice district there was genius idea. Central location where no one wanted to go previously. Now because of it parking costs can remain outrageous.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Holy shit it says we are playing Winnipeg tomorrow at 3pm pst. Any idea if these will be streamed for free or do we have to sign up and pay?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The decline of the DT core significantly predates the arena though. Major retailers were bailing for years. Part of this is simply that Edmontonians like their local amenities. You are also correct that it is hard to actually quantify the economic benefit of an arena because it is challenging to determine how much activity is truly new and how much is just transferred from some other place.

As someone who lives in a community of 600k without one, I view major arenas as infrastructure. Having one allows a city opportunities that they would not otherwise have. But like most infrastructure projects some will benefit others won't. For example, the Gateway Boulevard exchange project cost $238M. It was a pretty crucial project for anyone traveling in that area. But my 82 year old mother in law contributed to its construction and will almost surely never even see the result.

If you want something a little closer in spirit take a look at the Terwilliger Rec Center. The cost came in at $108M. A portion of my taxes went to pay for that but I don't even know where it is. We had a similar development in my city that cost me as a tax payer far more on an individual basis than the arena cost Edmontonians. And I have only been in the facility once for an open house.

What complicates the issue for an arena is that private business makes a lot of money off the project. This tends to color people's impression of the project, which I certainly get. But again as someone who lives in a place that lacks such a facility I think that the city would be a lesser place without it. Where I live the 407 highway is privatized but it is clearly still an important piece of infrastructure. Even people who never travel on the road benefit because it takes some pressure off the truly insane 401.
Agreed that the decline has been going on for years. but after all the attempt to revitalize and here we are. Dead DT. Dead retail,

I don't mind at all paying for rec center. Benefit to that. Not to building more gambling facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yup, if DT was truly dieing then building the ice district there was genius idea. Central location where no one wanted to go previously. Now because of it parking costs can remain outrageous.
"Lets build it where they won't come."

No help either that the entertainment industry is flat as well. Outside of hockey not much to see. Back to hockey then..

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With lots of jobs now having work from home options, downtowns won’t thrive nearly as much as they used to even 10 years ago

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Philp, Savoie, Kemp according to Stauffer yesterday.
That’s great news. I think Savoie starts with Bakersfield regardless but Kemp could compete with Emberson, Brown, and Stecher (along with all the AHL guys like Gleason and Carrick) for one of the two right defence spots and Philp could earn that 4th line centre role with some strong play.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That’s great news. I think Savoie starts with Bakersfield regardless but Kemp could compete with Emberson, Brown, and Stecher (along with all the AHL guys like Gleason and Carrick) for one of the two right defence spots and Philp could earn that 4th line centre role with some strong play.
I think Philp would have to show strong in one of the last couple Preseason games to get that push, I think he'll need a bit of time in Bako to get used to game pace again, but it does bode well for him getting a shot at the NHL this year.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
With lots of jobs now having work from home options, downtowns won’t thrive nearly as much as they used to even 10 years ago
It's more about where people live, not work.

If you can reside downtown with amenities, recreation, night life etc that will appeal to younger adults.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad