News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes, **New Pole Added**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who makes the team

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is it possible that Nurse was banged up in playoffs?
Physical limitations can cause brain farts trying to compensate

He wasn’t anywhere near his best for large stretches last season and in playoffs became worse. He did get hurt but it was in the finals when he turned into a hit along the wall I think Game 5. That is the injury that he was apparently nursing (no pun intended) this training camp according to Stauffer.

The playoffs last year and the 1 series against Colorado when he was injured.

His play has been pretty consistent other than those 2 things

He wasn’t hurt all playoffs and he had a lot of bad stretches last year. Plus he didn’t play with that edge and nastiness that seems to bring out the best in him - that’s what Coffey and KK wants him to get back to in order to get back to being more dominant like he can be.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Stecher is the best partner for Nurse... he's steady defensively... has very good hockey iq (and you know he has to have high hockey iq because a smallish lower offense dman doesn't play 494 games in this league without being a very smart hockey player). Plus Stecher skates reasonably well and can move the puck out of the zone.

Biggest concern is whether he can stay healthy... but every game he's in the lineup... I think he's a positive on his pairing whether that's on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Just out of curiosity I looked at how good the NHL teams were that Stecher has been with over the years:

16/17 29th
17/18 26th
18/29 23rd
19/20 17th
20/21 27th
21/22 25th and 14th (13 games)
22/23 27th and 16th (20 games)
23/24 27th and then Oilers who were 9th (7 games)

He's been on a whole lot of mediocre teams which I'm sure skews his stats somewhat. This Oiler team is easily the best team he's been on and already in his small sample with the team he had 2 assists and +4 in the 7 games he appeared in.

If Emberson can't hack it on the 2nd pairing... Stecher will be solid there... and at the deadline the big upgrade can be made to really improve the 2nd pairing going into the playoffs.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Last season:
Desharnais in 78 games: 1g 10a +3 playing 15:44 per game on one of the best teams in the league

Brown in 51 games: 3G 7a +2 playing 14:45 per game on one of the worst teams in the league.

Brown needs to cover about one extra shift per game to make up for the loss of Desharnais.

They’re both bottom pair do nothing plugs. They aren’t difference makers either way. Browns been a bottom pair plug for nearly 300 games in the league. Kulak will be good enough to cover him just like he was good enough to cover Desharnais.

Emberson is the big question on whether he can repeat his 30 games from last season with an expanded role and expectations.

22 minutes a night, a plus player and 30+ points isn’t going to crater your 2nd pair.

Nurse is far from good value on his contract, but he’s not going to crater your second pair on his own.
Brown is not on Desharnais's level and even within the org the preference was Desharnais they just couldn't sign him to a $2M contract, even if the skill level is somewhat comparable and J. Brown is a better skater, Desharnais's defensive awareness is much better, he's better on the PK, he competes harder in the dirty areas, and he's very good at being a pain in the butt to play against as his nickname Seaweed suggests, he's just always on or around guys, crowding them and making them fight for their space.

J. Brown's career he's pretty much only played on really weak d-cores and even then got scratched plenty, his analytics aren't good and he straight up got outplayed in pre-season by not only every NHL d-man we have, but also every AHL d-man we have with the possible exception of Hoefenmayer.

You can also look at how the coaches deployed the 2 our coaching staff played Desharnais over both Kesselring and Stecher when those were available options and in Arizona, Stecher and Kesselring were higher in the pecking order than J. Brown, I think that should be somewhat telling.

The only 2 seasons he didn't put up a bad GF% were 2 seasons he had an unsustainably high PDO (one being last year and the prior being his sophomore season). Also AZ has been one of the best teams in the league at getting good performances of the cast-off depth players and tweeners, a lot of players who left that team went on to play worse for the team that followed.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Bingo. Brown is the direct Vinny replacement, the size, grit etc. so he's going to get the nod at least to start the season. I think it's a lock tbh.

Brown is the Vinny replacement (for now, let's see what happens with waivers), but Vinny also didn't play 9 of their last 10 playoff games. I think the Oil want the option to have size in the lineup when the situation calls for it (especially as they'll be without Kane for the foreseeable future), but I don't see them blindly playing him over Stecher, Emberson, or even Dermott/Gleason who have all been better.

Also it's not like Bakersfield is swimming with heavyweights, and I'd say it's a bigger requirement to have one in the AHL vs. NHL, I suspect Brown will be bouncing between the Bakersfield and Edmonton throughout the season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Stecher is the best partner for Nurse... he's steady defensively... has very good hockey iq (and you know he has to have high hockey iq because a smallish lower offense dman doesn't play 494 games in this league without being a very smart hockey player). Plus Stecher skates reasonably well and can move the puck out of the zone.

Biggest concern is whether he can stay healthy... but every game he's in the lineup... I think he's a positive on his pairing whether that's on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Just out of curiosity I looked at how good the NHL teams were that Stecher has been with over the years:

16/17 29th
17/18 26th
18/29 23rd
19/20 17th
20/21 27th
21/22 25th and 14th (13 games)
22/23 27th and 16th (20 games)
23/24 27th and then Oilers who were 9th (7 games)

He's been on a whole lot of mediocre teams which I'm sure skews his stats somewhat. This Oiler team is easily the best team he's been on and already in his small sample with the team he had 2 assists and +4 in the 7 games he appeared in.

If Emberson can't hack it on the 2nd pairing... Stecher will be solid there... and at the deadline the big upgrade can be made to really improve the 2nd pairing going into the playoffs.

I don't get the idea of tossing Emberson straight into the top 4 and with Nurse. Yes, it looks like a good fit, but this is a guy with 30 games of NHL experience, who is going to a new team. It's okay to pump the breaks a bit and start him in an easier situation.

Imo the best play is start Stecher with Nurse (as you highlighted), and work with the idea that he's likely going to get injured after 30 or so games. But that gives you 30 games to get Emberson up to speed playing with Kulak and see what the team has in him. Similar to what they did with Broberg in the playoffs: Started off with Ceci, went to his offside with Kulak, and was eventually moved up to Nurse's pairing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You can’t judge how knob coaching in the preseason will affect the season. He already said in an interview that he coaches different in the preseason because you are looking at how different guys play in different situations and you aren’t necessarily coaching to win the game but rather coaching to evaluate players in different situations that they may not be played during the season or in some cases guys who won’t be on the team to get a first hand knowledge of organizational depth. People are reading far too much into little things here and making up problems that may not exist
Brown has been playing with Kulak in just about every practice session as well, that's not a little thing. That indicates to me that he's in the drivers seat to start the season on the 3rd pairing so it's more than just preseason deployment that has me thinking this.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Brown has been playing with Kulak in just about every practice session as well, that's not a little thing. That indicates to me that he's in the drivers seat to start the season on the 3rd pairing so it's more than just preseason deployment that has me thinking this.
Brown's passing has been quite concerning. I also hope that he's more physical when the games count for real.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Sign Dermott/Schultz. Get rid of Josh Brown PLEASE

I may vomit

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My personal preference for the opening night lineup:

Hyman-McDavid-Skinner
RNH-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Podzkolzin-Henrique-Lavoie
Janmark-Ryan-Brown
Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson

Skinner
Pickard
This.

And then call up philp to take over for Ryan part way through the year.

Janmark - philp- brown could be a real good 4th line

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Analytically, the worst player in the NHL is Josh Brown. Analytically , the best player in the NHL at producing chances by far is Mcdavid. Here's the kicker- before he joined the Oilers, when Josh Brown was on the ice, his chances against were the same as if he was facing Mcdavid every shift. This is while facing only bottom 6 competition.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Analytically, the worst player in the NHL is Josh Brown. Analytically , the best player in the NHL at producing chances by far is Mcdavid. Here's the kicker- before he joined the Oilers, when Josh Brown was on the ice, his chances against were the same as if he was facing Mcdavid every shift. This is while facing only bottom 6 competition.
Seems bad. Not a fan.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's hard to be physical when you're as slow as he is.

From both the eye test and the stats I've seen, he's one of the worst skaters in the league right now.
It's not just that, he doesn't look particularly strong and doesn't seem to win alot of physical battles.

Other than being tall and having muscle, I don't know what he can actual do.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I was happy to defend the Brown signing when it looked like he was going to be a #8/Black Ace with a contract that no other team was going to claim as insurance, but 1) he's been so horrific there is no value in him ever being on the big club 2) we're keeping him up (at least right now) over someone who can actually play hockey in Ben Gleason. Really not understanding where Bowman/Jackson are getting the idea this guy is a must-have on a contender.
Reeks of nepotism seeping back into the org. Who cares if Jackson repped him and knobloch coached him.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
All 5'9 of Phil DiGiuseppe ran his shit in a puck battle against the Canucks. Not exactly encouraging stuff.

Mama Mia! You know it’s bad when you get clowned by this guy

1727906345808.png

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Reeks of nepotism seeping back into the org. Who cares if Jackson repped him and knobloch coached him.

Knoblauch for sure didn't coach him and I'm pretty sure Jackson wasn't his agent. Maybe you're thinking of Dermott or Connor Brown?

I made fun of the Leaves for giving Reaves a 3 year deal last summer and we might have one upped them with this Brown signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad