GDT: Training Camp discussion - Rifai and Murray on waivers -- Steeves clears

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
If we have to choose between Jarnkrok and Kampf, we are better off keeping Kampf. Always keep the center when talking about bottom six types. We have tons of wingers. Ship CJ off to CBJ, sign Patches and let the young wingers hustle and battle it out for ice time.
100%

Kampf will be what, top 5 in PK minutes out of all the forwards in the league by the end of the season? At least he's "top" in something for whatever he does. Jarnkrok is just here doing what really. Pretending he's even 50% of what Kerfoot was for us.

Reactions: banks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It seems likely the Leafs will just waive Timmins and then sign up Pacioretty and Lorentz, with Hakanpaa and Jarnkrok or Dewar on LTIR to start. It should fit everything they need. Clearly Treliving needs another 3 months to assess the trade market.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Lineup looks pretty set now with Chief wanting that as the 4th line... Only thing is the 3rd line has too many people right now, We have about 3 forwards and only one roster spot available.. (Patches/Jarnkrok/Dewar (LTIR)

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Domi - JT - Nylander
McMann - Holmberg - Robertson/Patches/Jankork/
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Tanev - Rielly
McCabe - OEL
Beniot - Timmins/Lilly/Raifi/Hakanpaa/Myers (personally, I would put Hakanpaa in the 6th spot when healthy).

It would tiddy work from Treliving to clear 5m in cap space trading Lilly and Jarnkrok away and running Patches/Dewar as the extra forwards and Timmins/Raifi as the 7th d-man.

horner

May 22, 2007

Lineup looks pretty set now with Chief wanting that as the 4th line... Only thing is the 3rd line has too many people right now, We have about 3 forwards and only one roster spot available.. (Patches/Jarnkrok/Dewar (LTIR)

Domi - JT - Nylander
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Tanev - Rielly
McCabe - OEL
Beniot - Timmins/Lilly/Raifi/Hakanpaa/Myers (personally, I would put Hakanpaa in the 6th spot when healthy).

It would tiddy work from Treliving to clear 5m in cap space trading Lilly and Jarnkrok away and running Patches/Dewar as the extra forwards and Timmins/Raifi as the 7th d-man.
And Myers

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Domi - JT - Nylander
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Tanev - Rielly
McCabe - OEL

Yep. I think it has been a good camp and we are seeing Berube's preferences in the line-up configurations and I think I like them. I go back to we can move Liljegren, Jarnkrok and Kampf and not really miss them

Last night's line-up looked pretty good and didn't have Calle or Lilly in. Or McMann. It also didn't have Dewar, Hakanpaa, Rifai, Cowan, Minten or Grebenkin.
m
This s not about dumping those three, but if we can get some draft picks, cap space and ice time for our next wave, then we should be doing that. Do we ever see a top 6 that has both Lilly and Niemela? No? Trade Lilly now then. My line-up below is not what Berube is doing and I do believe he knows more than I do. Here is what I would like to see though.

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi Holmberg Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Robertson
McMann Lorentz Reaves
Dewar (IR)
Cowan
Minten (IR)
Grebenkin (Marlies)

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Timmins
Hakanpaa (IR)
Myers
Rifai

Woll
Stolarz
Murray (Marlies)
Hildeby (Marlies)

This 23 man roster would have over $4.5M in cap space and we could get three or four picks for the guys we move out. It might be a way to keep Cowan up too and I would like that; 30 or 40 games up and down the lineup, released to the world juniors, and practicing with the big club all year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Domi - JT - Nylander
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Tanev - Rielly
McCabe - OEL

I agree with this lineup provided that Robertson starts on the 3rd line. Keep Patches as an extra forward for depth in case of injuries and trade Jarnkrok to gain valuable cap space.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yep. I think it has been a good camp and we are seeing Berube's preferences in the line-up configurations and I think I like them. I go back to we can move Liljegren, Jarnkrok and Kampf and not really miss them

Last night's line-up looked pretty good and didn't have Calle or Lilly in. Or McMann. It also didn't have Dewar, Hakanpaa, Rifai, Cowan, Minten or Grebenkin.
m
This s not about dumping those three, but if we can get some draft picks, cap space and ice time for our next wave, then we should be doing that. Do we ever see a top 6 that has both Lilly and Niemela? No? Trade Lilly now then. My line-up below is not what Berube is doing and I do believe he knows more than I do. Here is what I would like to see though.

Knies Matthews Marner
Domi Holmberg Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Robertson
McMann Lorentz Reaves
Dewar (IR)
Cowan
Minten (IR)
Grebenkin (Marlies)

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Timmins
Hakanpaa (IR)
Myers
Rifai

Woll
Stolarz
Murray (Marlies)
Hildeby (Marlies)

This 23 man roster would have over $4.5M in cap space and we could get three or four picks for the guys we move out. It might be a way to keep Cowan up too and I would like that; 30 or 40 games up and down the lineup, released to the world juniors, and practicing with the big club all year.
The top 4 on defense and goaltending are both going to be near top of the league this season. I think it will be a significant upgrade from last season.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The top 4 on defense and goaltending are both going to be near top of the league this season. I think it will be a significant upgrade from last season.
I like our D and G too. I don't know what your definition of "near the top" is, but I think both could be top 10. Our offense staying top five would make us one of the best teams in the league.

I like the depth on this team too. That helps a lot over an 82 game season and our (first) goal should be to win the division.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I agree with this lineup provided that Robertson starts on the 3rd line. Keep Patches as an extra forward for depth in case of injuries and trade Jarnkrok to gain valuable cap space.
If Robertson is sat off the opening night roster for a player like Patches or Jarnkrok after the camp he has had then it's clear the players play means nothing.

Apart from scoring goals in the pre season, Robertson was engaged all over the ice, back checked hard, stronger along the boards (one of his big weaknesses last season) and better in the d-zone.

I don't expect this to be a nightly thing, there's going to be games where he doesn't play good etc, BUT at least you know it's there for now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting enough... they can choose not to sign Patches and Lorentz until after opening day rosters are submitted. We are currently cap compliant, though we'd have to waive Murray. But, we could put Jarnkrok on LTIR, and sign Patches and Lorentz and still be under the cap.

Or trade Jarnkrok, sign Patches and Lorentz and we are still cap compliant.

Lorentz has earned a spot imo, guy’s a solid fourth liner and gives the best value to help the cap…….

Reactions: LeafSteel

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If Robertson is sat off the opening night roster for a player like Patches or Jarnkrok after the camp he has had then it's clear the players play means nothing.

Apart from scoring goals in the pre season, Robertson was engaged all over the ice, back checked hard, stronger along the boards (one of his big weaknesses last season) and better in the d-zone.

I don't expect this to be a nightly thing, there's going to be games where he doesn't play good etc, BUT at least you know it's there for now.
If that happens Robertson should reissue his trade request

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If that happens Robertson should reissue his trade request
I don’t yhink there’s s chance Robertson isnt on the roster for the season opener, unless traded, Columbus could use him to compensate for the loss of Johnny Hockey, I want him to stay but if a overpayment is there you have to do it, what could a Robertson/Lilly package return thst fits the cap?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don’t yhink there’s s chance Robertson isnt on the roster for the season opener, unless traded, Columbus could use him to compensate for the loss of Johnny Hockey, I want him to stay but if a overpayment is there you have to do it, what could a Robertson/Lilly package return thst fits the cap?

So is there anyway a Cowan, Liljegren, Robertson+ lands you Mason Mc?

Yeah, I know the answer, but how much is the +?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So is there anyway a Cowan, Liljegren, Robertson+ lands you Mason Mc?

Yeah, I know the answer, but how much is the +?
Love Mason’s game, but he’s yet another often injured player, I think that bingo card is already more than full, that kind of trade is what’s needed to improve the team…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Love Mason’s game, but he’s yet another often injured player, I think that bingo card is already more than full, that kind of trade is what’s needed to improve the team…….

He's a center.
Leafs will need a center as early as next year, badly.

1728236656682.png

1728236598324.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad