GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, that's not what happened.

He's not back at Wing. Domi and Nylander are taking turns at C... in PRACTICE.

Like I said above... people try to read far too much into these lines that media post.

""

how many turns do you ever see Matthews take on wing.?

You don't

if the Leafs thought Nylander was a center he wouldn't be taking turns on the wing.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yes, but they've had a new GM for over a year now, and he's doing about the same.
Yes he has had a year but it’s going to take a lot more than a year to turn the ship around. As firs as Matthews and Willy’s contracts it pretty hard to walk away from either of them as a new GM.
As far as Marner yes he made a mistake not trading him when he could but again that’s a pretty bold move first day on the job.
We will be paying the price of Dubas’s hubris for years to come

Reactions: Jmo89 and bax

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Maple Leafs are well over the salary cap — and the cuts that need to be made - The Athletic

Two moves I’m anticipating before the season starts will be Hakanpää and Dewar starting the year on long-term injured reserve, which will allow the Leafs to exceed the salary cap for as long as they’re out.

LTIR would mean both players have to miss the first 10 games and 24 days of the season, something that makes a lot of sense for Hakanpää given the extensive knee issues he’s dealing with. Dewar’s injury timeline is less clear, but given he’s yet to do much in camp, we’ll assume they’ll slow play his return.

Those two moves would bring the Leafs to within $1.07 million of the cap and needing to only make one more cut. The most obvious manouevre I can see to get compliant would be to place Conor Timmins on waivers, freeing up another $1.1 million, and using Marlies standout Marshall Rifai as the seventh defenceman.

Remaining cap space?

$30,033, or enough to easily afford a new Nissan Versa with some nice add-ons.

PuckGM-Roster-Card-Fri-Sep-27-2024-14_20_22-GMT-0700-Pacific-Daylight-Time.png

I’m not certain why capologist Brandon Pridham would leave an extra $30,333, but it could always end up being included in Pacioretty’s deal, which is awaiting some of the final cap machinations this week before they put pen to paper.

On that front, I believe it’s also possible Pacioretty gets some additional 35-plus contract bonuses added in, similar to the ones he had last season with the Capitals (albeit not to the tune of $2 million for playing 20 games). But those don’t necessarily have to count against the cap this season. More on that in a second.

Even with the injuries, it’s a good-looking roster to start the season, with some quality forward depth in the 13th and 14th holes to fight for minutes or replace banged-up players.

If this is how the Leafs start the season, what it does is buy them some more time to see how some players settle in. It pushes the decision on someone like Nick Robertson, for example, into the second month of the season, allowing Berube to play him in games that matter and contemplate if there’s an established role for him in the top nine or not.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
well Domi was flipped back to center today, and Nylander back on RW.

With Tavares banged up things do need to shift around.

Also though it can't be to surprising that Nylander is back on wing seeing as he started 2 games there and didn't finish either of them there.

hopefully that's a sign that the stupid Nylander at center experiment that is tried every year and fails every year is being put to bed for another year.

None of this is accurate.

1) Domi and Nylander were both taking turns at center. They may flip the two of them around in game depending on situation so that makes perfect sense to me.

2) Nylander play virtually both entire games at C. He only didn’t finish the first game in that spot because we shortened the bench looking for a goal and they went to a familiar combination there.

3) Nylander at center has never been given a legit chance. It’s never failed; it was never committed to. We haven’t even taken a too short glimpse at it outside of maybe a few times. Keefe giving it one preseason game and ending it last year says nothing about Nylander and everything about it not being Keefe’s idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad