GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, but they've had a new GM for over a year now, and he's doing about the same.

I’d like to see them make meaningful changes to the core and find their DeMar for Kawhi type trade as much as anyone, but also a bit resigned to the status quo as well. If management doesn’t have the strength and confidence to move off a guy via blockbuster trade, maybe it just means they can see it will be a net loss to the program if they do anything. The classic Cliff Fletcher mandate trade is basically your worst case scenario.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Timmins is having another good camp. Not reading too much into. Maybe Rifai is playing his way into the conversation. Pretty funny about Nylander. Wonder if it’s just a one practice move.

Ugg... Nylander is playing at C in practice today.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I’d like to see them make meaningful changes to the core and find their DeMar for Kawhi type trade as much as anyone, but also a bit resigned to the status quo as well. If management doesn’t have the strength and confidence to move off a guy via blockbuster trade, maybe it just means they can see it will be a net loss to the program if they do anything. The classic Cliff Fletcher mandate trade is basically your worst case scenario.
That would be something, but since the Tkachuk trade, Treliving seems terrified of making trades that don't involve a mid-round pick for depth players.

Now that the new season is coming and all the frustration and want for change is more distant now, as hockey people do, they just settle in and do the minimal.

And he has.... and the few things that he has done are anywhere from "meh" to "why?"

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Next year.

Changes this year may depend on the production from the Holmberg, Robertson and box of chocolates, along with the remade defense.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It’s still early but what if Liljegren just isn’t what people want and think. If Liljegren wasn’t a first round pick would people be batting an eye with him being moved to 4th pair. If this is another coach that doesn’t see it in Liljegren maybe he just doesn’t have it.

Reactions: rumman

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It’s still early but what if Liljegren just isn’t what people want and think. If Liljegren wasn’t a first round pick would people be batting an eye with him being moved to 4th pair. If this is another coach that doesn’t see it in Liljegren maybe he just doesn’t have it.

For me, I like Liljegren still and think he can be top 4 D, but this GM/coach combo isn't to his advantage.

You have Rielly, the best D on the team.

Then you have OEL and Tanev, the GMs new boys, and McCabe, a steady Eddie type of player who fulfills all the biases of the coach and GM.

So, where is Liljegren going to fit?

I guess they are cool with the $3m 3rd pairing guy despite the cap issue and decent holes at both C and D still.

Still, they did sign him, mostly because, as I reference in the post above, it seems like Tre is scared of trade backfiring and media and fans going for him, so they end up signing players they don't really like, which shows about as much conviction as a first-time skydiver.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think Rifai 99% gets claimed if he goes on waivers. Leafs probably know this. And he's been solid for awhile so it makes sense to keep him as a depth option while Hakanpaa recovers.

I know people got mad at me before, but are we sure the leafs are not considering trading Liljegren if the right deal presents itself? 3m for a #6 doesn’t feel right. And Liljegren has value

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know people got mad at me before, but are we sure the leafs are not considering trading Liljegren if the right deal presents itself? 3m for a #6 doesn’t feel right. And Liljegren has value
Can't see Berube enjoying tape of Lil routinely losing board battles and failing to clear the front of the net. Against passive teams he looks great, any pressure whatsoever he looks a total liability. Good depth, never my top 6 come playoffs unless he finds another level.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Sunk cost fallacy for a lot of people i'd imagine. Hes just like another Sandin. Average in a lot of stuff, not elite in anything specific. Just a very vanilla player that has shown he crumbles come playoff time when games are tighter and tougher.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I meant like cheating in the faceoffs, pulling yall jerseys, hooking, fisting when the ref aint seeing, blinding, lifting a stick, holding a stick and also saying things to a player thst is almost not acceptable etc. We gotta do all to win. Be Claude Lemieux, Roy, Neauwendyk , Roberts type
Fisting???

We are not that kind of a website, crudity is never appreciated.

True enough, he should speak as little as possible.
But misinterpreted 100% of the time, narrative is what makes the world go around🤪

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Can't see Berube enjoying tape of Lil routinely losing board battles and failing to clear the front of the net. Against passive teams he looks great, any pressure whatsoever he looks a total liability. Good depth, never my top 6 come playoffs unless he finds another level.
Hopefully he’s headed to LA along with Kampt………

Reactions: CincoHolio

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sunk cost fallacy for a lot of people i'd imagine. Hes just like another Sandin. Average in a lot of stuff, not elite in anything specific. Just a very vanilla player that has shown he crumbles come playoff time when games are tighter and tougher.

I think you are describing all the Leafs defenders, although maybe Tanev brings something useful.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Seems rules changed this year and they are allowing shirts off during interviews. Nylander and Reaves taking advantage of it early. Recall Reaves was interviewed last season and given a shirt to wear before the interview, and during the broadcast he asked who made him wesr the shirt and commented the NHL should be using his body to market the game better Vs other sports.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
History would say the Leafs will have to add to get rid of Kampf (maybe a third).
Kampf just like Jarnkrok are everyday NHL players, most teams in this league would be more than happy to have them, especially because both signed to very affordable contracts. Their contracts only pose a problem here in Toront, because of 4 guys who are being somewhat overpaid.

Just because the dough head former GM compounded his own idiotic mistake by spending a first round pick on a player he truly overpaid, instead of eating 2.5m of his remaining deal doesn't mean it's always going to be a means to an end.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems rules changed this year and they are allowing shirts off during interviews. Nylander and Reaves taking advantage of it early. Recall Reaves was interviewed last season and given a shirt to wear before the interview, and during the broadcast he asked who made him wesr the shirt and commented the NHL should be using his body to market the game better Vs other sports.

1727726078811.gif

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
well Domi was flipped back to center today, and Nylander back on RW.

With Tavares banged up things do need to shift around.

Also though it can't be to surprising that Nylander is back on wing seeing as he started 2 games there and didn't finish either of them there.

hopefully that's a sign that the stupid Nylander at center experiment that is tried every year and fails every year is being put to bed for another year.
Jeepers I remember when all of LeaFland( not to be confused with Leafs Nation) were demanding, nay, shrieking at the powers that be that young William be given the 2nd line centre's job over "slow Johnny" now and forthwith. 🤣

Reactions: Nineteen67

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yes, but they've had a new GM for over a year now, and he's doing about the same.
You do have an appreciation for the mess he inherited I hope. Its not just the cap issues, but there are deep set cultural issues that had been created because a rookie GM wanted to be buddies with certain players.

Rome as they say wasn't built in a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad