GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
What if they choose to let Marner walk to free up the money only for free agency to work out like it has the last two years?
Your question is fair and that is the unknown element here.

What and who does Treliving spend that money on?

Bring in an overpriced non performing player and we are definitely worse off and Treliving would have blown a defining moment in his tenure. You cannot move off from a player of Marner’s calibre and blow it.

If Marner had been traded this offseason and we had used most of the money to sing Lindholm at 2C and Matt Roy, then yes, we are a better and more balanced team.

This where pro and anti Treliving sentiment will drive the narrative. I prefer to look at each move he makes.

Much more unknown than known here, but my response was to a poster who started carte blanche this team is a worse team without Marner, with no consideration of what personnel would be brought in with the cap space.

That is what I was addressing.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Remember him well. It was such a shock to hear on the morning news what he had done. Too bad the first try was not successful, but when you consider the advancements that have occurred since then, it is truly remarkable and has changed many, many lives.

Since Dr. Barnard was South African, it reminded me of the Jonathon Bernier response to a question about Nelson Mandela, another South African who changed the world, about a year after his death.

Well obviously growing up, he’s one of the most known athletes in the world. A lot of impact in any kind of sport that he did, and even playing hockey, everyone knows him, right? From being the type of person that he was off the ice and on the ice. It’s unfortunate that he passed a year ago, but, he changed a lot while he was with us, and he’s a tremendous guy.”
I still wince when I read this quote.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What a weird comment.

In the grand scheme of things all of humanity we're all just an infinitely small dot on an infinitely small dot in a universe billions of light years across, so sure nothing matters...

Except to us . It matters to us.

He was freaking Captain of the Maple Leafs and this is a place we talk about it.

This is not a Wendy's sir.
I've lost count of the number of people who didn't spot the sarcasm. That said, Sundin wouldn't be near the top of the list of my favourite Leafs. I am much more of a fanboy of a guy like Wendel Clark or Rick Vaive.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He 100% is and should be. He's cheap, versatile and has shown plenty of growth in his game -- especially in the physicality aspect.

If this team plays Lorentz or Reaves over him, they are incredibly stupid. I refuse to believe they are.

Whether he should be or not, which I think is somewhat arguable, I’m not totally convinced he is one of their 12 as things currently stand

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
That will never happen. You can't be successful as a coach trying to make someone into something they are not.

I figure it will take to the 20 game mark before we start to see everything Berube is trying to implement, and he might bench someone for a period or a few shifts along the way, but he won't healthy scratch anyone.
Then expect the same results when the game is on the line

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Whether he should be or not, which I think is somewhat arguable, I’m not totally convinced he is one of their 12 as things currently stand
There is no question he's one of their best 12 on merit, but whether the team will follow merit is the question

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Your question is fair and that is the unknown element here.

What and who does Treliving spend that money on?

Bring in an overpriced non performing player and we are definitely worse off and Treliving would have blown a defining moment in his tenure. You cannot move off from a player of Marner’s calibre and blow it.

If Marner had been traded this offseason and we had used most of the money to sing Lindholm at 2C and Matt Roy, then yes, we are a better and more balanced team.

This where pro and anti Treliving sentiment will drive the narrative. I prefer to look at each move he makes.

Much more unknown than known here, but my response was to a poster who started carte blanche this team is a worse team without Marner, with no consideration of what personnel would be brought in with the cap space.

That is what I was addressing.
Agree with this 100%.

At the end playoffs results matters.

Like when JT left Islanders, everyone thought Islanders will be in trouble and they ended up going to back to back Conf Finals. While everyone thought the Leafs will win it all and Leafs ended up winning ONE round in 6 yrs.
Not saying Islanders is better off now since a lot happened to the Islanders ever since. BUT I think any teams would take Back to Back Conf Finals over Back to Back 1st round exits in the two years after JT left the Islanders.

Look at the Tkachuk trade, Flames managed to get a 1st rounder, 1 pairing RD in Weegar and 100pt LW- who was penciled in as McD LW on Team Canada at that time if they can send Pros to the Olympics, for Tkachuk who wants out.
At that time, I don’t think anyone thought Panthers won that trade and at best it was a good hockey trade on both sides.

But nobody will deny Panthers won that trade by a mile now. Even if Hube didn’t fall off the cliff and maintained his 100pts seasons, the fact that Panthers went to the Finals and then Won a Cup the following year showed they won the trade.

At the end, winning in playoffs matters and if the Leafs win the Cup, any decisions is the right decision.

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
Agree with this 100%.

At the end playoffs results matters.

Like when JT left Islanders, everyone thought Islanders will be in trouble and they ended up going to back to back Conf Finals. While everyone thought the Leafs will win it all and Leafs ended up winning ONE round in 6 yrs.
Not saying Islanders is better off now since a lot happened to the Islanders ever since. BUT I think any teams would take Back to Back Conf Finals over Back to Back 1st round exits in the two years after JT left the Islanders.

Look at the Tkachuk trade, Flames managed to get a 1st rounder, 1 pairing RD in Weegar and 100pt LW- who was penciled in as McD LW on Team Canada at that time if they can send Pros to the Olympics, for Tkachuk who wants out.
At that time, I don’t think anyone thought Panthers won that trade and at best it was a good hockey trade on both sides.

But nobody will deny Panthers won that trade by a mile now. Even if Hube didn’t fall off the cliff and maintained his 100pts seasons, the fact that Panthers went to the Finals and then Won a Cup the following year showed they won the trade.

At the end, winning in playoffs matters and if the Leafs win the Cup, any decisions is the right decision.
When a teacher makes a team with four core players nylander matthews tavares and marner who are not willing to do (anything) to win, the it wont work. You have to yzerman-claude lemieux-roy it up, to win. Cheat, fight, hit, eat noses and scramble. Cheat. We are not being doing that. Not with the core of these players. For that to change... its not even probable. Even if one of them would do something special, like dropping a key guy or like telling it off by talking in every single game... even words can kill. We have not been able to do that. Now we will see again where will this same core lead us.... gary roberts, sundin tucker thomas belfoue quinn almost did that. See why? Read my post again and you'see. And learn why.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When a teacher makes a team with four core players nylander matthews tavares and marner who are not willing to do (anything) to win, the it wont work. You have to yzerman-claude lemieux-roy it up, to win. Cheat, fight, hit, eat noses and scramble. Cheat. We are not being doing that. Not with the core of these players. For that to change... its not even probable. Even if one of them would do something special, like dropping a key guy or like telling it off by talking in every single game... even words can kill. We have not been able to do that. Now we will see again where will this same core lead us.... gary roberts, sundin tucker thomas belfoue quinn almost did that. See why? Read my post again and you'see. And learn why.
I agree.
That’s why I call them Beta Chokers. They are Beta type players playing in an Alpha Role.

Like let’s say Reilly, Tanev, OEL and McCabe are injured, Lilly will become our No.1 Dman. Is he a No.1 Dman is another question but he has to play that role.

Reactions: Reijo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad