GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
McMann-Tavares-Robertson
Pacioretty-Holmberg-Grebenkin
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves
Cowan-Quillan-A.Nylander
Steeves-Pare-Clifford
Hirvonen-Shaw-Abruzzese

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Liljegren-Webber
Mermis-Myers
Chadwick-Timmins
Rifai-Villeneuve
Kokkonen-Niemela
Pietroniro-Mattinen

Stolarz
Hildeby
Woll
Murray

I'm looking at that, and seeing that they are giving Holmberg an opportunity to lock down the 4th line, and Kampf is currently the odd man out.... If Holmberg can seize the opportunity... I posted the lines combined of Group 1 and 2 above, and approx where they'd line up in terms of rank.

Benoit - Liljegren after he takes care of the family addition.

This would be a "like to see it in games" lineup.
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
McMann-Tavares-Robertson

Reactions: Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
McMann-Tavares-Robertson

I'd be shocked if Greb plays over Kampf and even Reaves if everyone stays healthy by the opener. It's a good test and evaluation of the player right now.

Treliving really should have dumped Kampf earlier in the summer like Dallas did with Faksa.

Reactions: Skullz and egd27

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Waste of Kampf... may as well just sign someone who hits people and can take a draw instead of someone who is useful defensively.

In this scenario, if they can't trade them, one of Kampf or Reaves is in the pressbox and the other is in the minors, that is like 2.7 million right there.

Benoit or Hakanpaa on D is another 1.3 most likely, they are carrying $4 million in spares/wasted cap.

It will sort itself out, nothing to be worried about for now. Kampf wouldn't be hard to move. Reaves I believe can be mostly buried in the minors. Timmins is either minors, waiver claim, or traded.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Waste of Kampf... may as well just sign someone who hits people and can take a draw instead of someone who is useful defensively.

In this scenario, if they can't trade them, one of Kampf or Reaves is in the pressbox and the other is in the minors, that is like 2.7 million right there.

Benoit or Hakanpaa on D is another 1.3 most likely, they are carrying $4 million in spares/wasted cap.
Yeah, people tend to look at the high salaries of the core 4 when it comes to our cap issues but these lower salary guys can add up to a lot of dead cap as well.

I truly hope that with a new coach and GM the camp competitions are truly 'competitions' and the best players make the opening night roster, even if it means waiving a vet.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd be shocked if Greb plays over Kampf and even Reaves if everyone stays healthy by the opener. It's a good test and evaluation of the player right now.

Kampf has his role, unless Holmberg get's it.

Something has to give, but yes they have to do something about Kampf.

Edit: I don't think Grebenkin - Kampf is the discussion though. Two different roles.

Reactions: arso40 and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Edit: I don't think Grebenkin - Kampf is the discussion though. Two different roles.

I think Holmberg moving to the wing is a lot more probable if the other centers keep their roles. Kampf with Holmberg and Pacioretty seems ok.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah, people tend to look at the high salaries of the core 4 when it comes to our cap issues but these lower salary guys can add up to a lot of dead cap as well.

I truly hope that with a new coach and GM the camp competitions are truly 'competitions' and the best players make the opening night roster, even if it means waiving a vet.

The GM signed a lot of these contracts, I hope his ego is not big (truly don't know), and he is willing to move off of players if they don't fit.

It will sort itself out, nothing to be worried about for now. Kampf wouldn't be hard to move. Reaves I believe can be mostly buried in the minors. Timmins is either minors, waiver claim, or traded.

It's early in camp, I am not too worried honestly, just we have a lot of cap spent on players lower in the lineup, and we look like we are trying to replace some of them... seems weird to overpay them in the first place if they are replaceable.

They had Reaves with him last year... why not someone better?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
McMann-Tavares-Robertson
It appears that the 4th line is going to be the competition in camp between the following players:

Pacioretty
Holmberg
Grebenkin
Cowan
Kampf
Reaves
Lorentz.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
A couple of observations.

Hakanpaa in Group 3... basically the group that has no chance of making the Leafs. He's the only one on there, which means??? Maybe he's not ready yet, or still hurt or.....

Patches #67 Interesting choice, though it is his normal number.

Supposedly he is still recovering and isn’t in great shape.

Will move up to group A or B soon

f*** sake. Minten ankle sprain, Danford concussion.

Damn Habs and their cheap shots

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Kids need to show they can play defensively responsible hockey, if they can do that they can make the team imo…….
Are we not still waiting for Domi and Nylander to be better defensively :)

We brought in Patch and he may be worse defensively then Domi and Nylander combined.

Keefer didn’t trust the young kids and I really do hope Berube does but as a 1st yr coach here and pressure to win now….odds are they will go with the vets :(

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Are we not still waiting for Domi and Nylander to be better defensively :)

We brought in Patch and he may be worse defensively then Domi and Nylander combined.

Keefer didn’t trust the young kids and I really do hope Berube does but as a 1st yr coach here and pressure to win now….odds are they will go with the vets :(

He played kids in his Cup win in St. Louis.

Yeah, Domi-Nylander-NotABlackHole line is going to be interesting.

Reactions: rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Always been the case with Nylander. He's always had the skill, it's the 'will' that's been inconsistent.
His will and consistency and defensive game have been improving the last couple of years. Centre is a big jump, so let's hope he continues the upward trend. It will be huge for the team if he can make it work.

Reactions: weems

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not sold on Willy at C at all. I get the thought... make our C's deeper and all. But he just earned a huge contract on being one of the best wingers in the game... why mess with that? Could be creating 2 problems with one move... eliminating a great winger and making him a so-so center. The only way I see it working is if Berube's system is somewhat different and allows a C more offensive freedom somehow.
At this point he pretty much has to be an upgrade on JT in everything but faceoffs. Well worth a decent try (maybe 20 games). It's not as though he can't go back to the wing if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad