Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season Main Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 47 50.5%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Mesar

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Tuch

• Hughes

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Davidson

• Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nice to hear a report.

Of course it's way too early to make conclusions, as the author says. but ...

- I was never seeing the chemistry between Dach Laine and Newhook, even though they complete the 6 best offensive players with Suzuki, Caufiled, and Slaf. But hopefully it's there... If not there are many other options...

- I could see Kapanen causing Roy to be sent down until there are injuries...

- If Guhle et al. are healthy to start the season, will be hard for Barron and Struble to earn a spot in the top 6 with the way Mailloux is coming on.

- Unless there's a surprise I take for granted Hutson will be in the starting lineup opening night and won't see the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaynki

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Fair assessments imo
Interesting Dach and Laine were a little rusty but I didn't expect them to explode first game of scrimmage
Good quick write up

Excited for Slafsquatch

I feel that it isn't okay to lose games this year and just call it part of the players' development. This year they want more from the players.
No, not 'this' year I agree
This year will tell us a lot (and even then a couple of the 'anchors' are still here for time being sadly)

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Fair assessments imo
Interesting Dach and Laine were a little rusty but I didn't expect them to explode first game of scrimmage
Good quick write up

Excited for Slafsquatch

No, not 'this' year I agree
This year will tell us a lot (and even then a couple of the 'anchors' are still here for time being sadly)
I don't think that Anderson of Dvorak are afforded the luxury of being on cruise control this season, same for Armia. If they don't play a competitive game they sit and allow some younger players to get ice time.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Roy is probably our best bottom 6 forward, sending him down makes no sense.
I don't mean to disagree with you but he hasn't really established himself just yet at the NHL level, certainly not enough to be called our best bottom 6 forward.

I believe we have entered that 'zone' as well
Broke that ice last year with Armia starting in the AHL
I read that Anderson spent the summer in Montreal with plenty of on-ice training and I don't know if that was his desire or that of the organization. He has to be so much better even if he wants out of Montreal.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't mean to disagree with you but he hasn't really established himself just yet at the NHL level, certainly not enough to be called our best bottom 6 forward.
I think he has, the 2nd line went to shit the second he got injured. Not to mention that he’s the only offensive threat in the bottom 6. I would be more confident in calling him an established NHLer over the way Dvorak/Gally/Anderson played last year.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think he has, the 2nd line went to shit the second he got injured. Not to mention that he’s the only offensive threat in the bottom 6. I would be more confident in calling him an established NHLer over the way Dvorak/Gally/Anderson played last year.
As I said, I'm not disagreeing but I want to wait and see how things go this season for him. He played his best when he was with Monahan. Evans and Dvorak aren't exactly the type of centers to help their wingers with offense.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Nice to hear a report.

Of course it's way too early to make conclusions, but ...

- I was never seeing the chemistry between Dach Laine and Newhook, even though they complete the 6 best offensive players with Suzuki, Caufiled, and Slaf. But hopefully it's there... If not there are many other options...

- I could see Kapanen causing Roy to be sent down until there are injuries...

- If Guhle et al. are healthy to start the season, will be hard for Barron and Struble to earn a spot in the top 6 with the way Mailloux is coming on.

- Unless there's a surprise I take for granted Hutson will be in the starting lineup opening night and won't see the AHL.
I think it's important to give Dach and Laine time, but i think they need a player like Roy over a player like newhook tbh. Newhook gives me elite 3rd liner vibes over top 6 if that makes sense

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I think it's important to give Dach and Laine time, but i think they need a player like Roy over a player like newhook tbh. Newhook gives me elite 3rd liner vibes over top 6 if that makes sense
I agree, but they'll still give the opportunity to Newhook or even a guy like Anderson before asking the rookie. Not complaining, but there's always a pecking order the coach will want to go through in things like this...

But yeah, Roy is the perfect glue guy for talented players.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah he could only get 80 some games under his belt last season.
Terrible.
He got in 70, and 44 the yr before.

Don’t know why some get so uptight over a simple observation which could turn out to be wrong, lol.

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I do when we are talking about a player's development.
Great, but I wasn’t talking about player development. I’m talking about a guy that hasn’t been able to stay healthy. I’d like to see him play a full year with MTL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad