GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Depends on whether Pacioretty is done or still has some life in those legs.

I have my doubts about it, and wouldn't mind seeing Grebenkin with Nylander and a defensivley sound vet. Grebenkin's passing from KHL and the one prospect game looks exceptional.

We'll have an indication in a month, but do we bet hard on a 36 year old who can't stay healthy?
"">

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm guessing Nylander at center lasts 5-10 games at best.

We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day. He's also at that age where you can't exactly make leaps and bounds on your game.

Perhaps the delineation between center and wing is less than some are making it out to be.

Selke winners are usually centers? Are their wingers benefiting from playing with those Selke level players? I would think so.

Perhaps Nylander's defensive play wouldn't look so suspect if his center was a Selke candidate? Okay, Tavares got a couple 4th. and a 5th. place votes. ;)

Domi and Nylander ... this will be completely on Nylander, he isn't getting propped up by Domi.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The one thing that really stands out when looking at our roster right now, is just how many capable players we have that could start in the pressbox.
I would say this is the deepest team we've had in awhile and it should produce alot of competition like you said.
Another thing that stands out are the veterans that could have got more opportunities and guarantees elsewhere but chose to want to be here with PTO's or what appear to be below market deals...

Pacioretty (cup winner)
Murray (cup winner)
Lorentz (cup winner)
Hakanpaa

...arguably even Stolarz (cup winner) and OEL (cup winner) could have got the same or better deals and opportunities elsewhere.

I don't recall this to this degree in previous years.

Reactions: weems

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i think the lines might actually end up:

matthews/domi
willy/marner

gives some defensive responsibilty on both top lines

as for JT, he played his best hockey on the 3rd line last year, he doesnt require gifted playmakers, in fact i think its actually detrimental to him as he gets away from what make him an effective player. guys like mcmann/jarkrok are more suited to playing with him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm guessing Nylander at center lasts 5-10 games at best.

We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day. He's also at that age where you can't exactly make leaps and bounds on your game.

Nylander has played like 3 games at center after they said they’d try him. 2 preseason, 1 in a play in-game. We haven’t really tried it at all. He played some center when he first came up and he looked pretty good at it.

I think they just need to do it and give it a good run, 20+ games and allow him to get adjusted to it

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yep, it will be interesting to see if he's driving this decision or management is.

I doubt he's the only player who'll be making adjustments, it isn't like they have perfect players in the line-up.

I think Brad reverenced the desire for Nylander to play center last year no? Especially if they are going to be committing to him for 8 years at that cap number

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
i think the lines might actually end up:

matthews/domi
willy/marner

gives some defensive responsibilty on both top lines

as for JT, he played his best hockey on the 3rd line last year, he doesnt require gifted playmakers, in fact i think its actually detrimental to him as he gets away from what make him an effective player. guys like mcmann/jarkrok are more suited to playing with him.

Yep...as in, I agree. I hope they see it this way also...

Knies Matthews Domi
XXXXX Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

XXXXX could be Pacioretty, Holmberg, Cowan or Jarnkrok. I would be happy with Cowan for nine games and not signing Pacioretty until then. Give him an extra long camp while we are seeing what we have with Cowan.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

It seems the Nylander line is different than reported earlier. Jarnkrok makes sense, some defensive responsibility. Also posted, as the Alter post has more lines.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
""

It seems the Nylander line is different than reported earlier. Jarnkrok makes sense, some defensive responsibility. Also posted, as the Alter post has more lines.

Not liking the two plugs beside Kampf... Hope they don't play bad players with a shutdown player again.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
""

OEL-MCCABE right away to start also.

Could be nothing but this was also one of the potential pairing combos.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
McMann-Tavares-Robertson
Pacioretty-Holmberg-Grebenkin
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves
Cowan-Quillan-A.Nylander
Steeves-Pare-Clifford
Hirvonen-Shaw-Abruzzese

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Liljegren-Webber
Mermis-Myers
Chadwick-Timmins
Rifai-Villeneuve
Kokkonen-Niemela
Pietroniro-Mattinen

Stolarz
Hildeby
Woll
Murray

Not liking the two plugs beside Kampf... Hope they don't play bad players with a shutdown player again.

I'm looking at that, and seeing that they are giving Holmberg an opportunity to lock down the 4th line, and Kampf is currently the odd man out.... If Holmberg can seize the opportunity... I posted the lines combined of Group 1 and 2 above, and approx where they'd line up in terms of rank.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Yep...as in, I agree. I hope they see it this way also...

Knies Matthews Domi
XXXXX Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

XXXXX could be Pacioretty, Holmberg, Cowan or Jarnkrok. I would be happy with Cowan for nine games and not signing Pacioretty until then. Give him an extra long camp while we are seeing what we have with Cowan.
i personally think robertson would look terrible on that line, he needs to play with high skill to be effective offensively, asking him to cycle with his injury history/size is a recipe for disaster. put him up with marner and willy and have jarnkrok with JT and mcmann. just imo though.

at the end of the day with robertson, lets give him an actual chance to succeed, and then make a decision on his future based on how he responds.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm looking at that, and seeing that they are giving Holmberg an opportunity to lock down the 4th line, and Kampf is currently the odd man out.... If Holmberg can seize the opportunity... I posted the lines combined of Group 1 and 2 above, and approx where they'd line up in terms of rank.

Going to have like $5 million in dead cap unless they make them trades in that case...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
has more of a traditional fourth line look not a defensive line

Waste of Kampf... may as well just sign someone who hits people and can take a draw instead of someone who is useful defensively.

It doesn't matter how you draw up the forward lines... if Patches is signed, someone goes... waived or traded.

In this scenario, if they can't trade them, one of Kampf or Reaves is in the pressbox and the other is in the minors, that is like 2.7 million right there.

Benoit or Hakanpaa on D is another 1.3 most likely, they are carrying $4 million in spares/wasted cap.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad