GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some of that defensive ability is going to have to come from Nylander.
The reality is that the center position demands alot more out of a player than wing. You have to now take faceoffs, sometimes in the defensive zone and are asked to take on a bigger responsibility defensively in your own zone.

Nylander can no doubt stick at the center position if all someone is basing it around is his offensive abilities. It will be how much he can show in the all around abilities of a Center department that will determine if the project works or not.

As of right now we know he's not a extremely strong defensive player when playing wing but Center is a totally different position and if he wants to make it work, he's going to need to up the intensity level and focus because the position demands it.
Always been the case with Nylander. He's always had the skill, it's the 'will' that's been inconsistent.

Reactions: weems

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Patches - Nylander - Domi sounds like a horrendous 2nd line

Depends on whether Pacioretty is done or still has some life in those legs.

I have my doubts about it, and wouldn't mind seeing Grebenkin with Nylander and a defensivley sound vet. Grebenkin's passing from KHL and the one prospect game looks exceptional.

We'll have an indication in a month, but do we bet hard on a 36 year old who can't stay healthy?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Alex Nylander will be pushing for a spot. He put up 15 points in 23 games last year.
Nicky Rob will be out to prove a point.
Grebenkin wants a place on this team.
Cowan wants a place on this team.

Patches might be a veteran, and he might have been a pretty good player a few years ago... but I wouldn't suggest he's a lock. I mean, if he dials back father time, and is the same guy who was putting up PPG, sure.... but if he's lost a step, and plays like he did last year, well... he's on thin ice.

There is some legitimate competition for spots this year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Alex Nylander will be pushing for a spot. He put up 15 points in 23 games last year.

Patches might be a veteran, and he might have been a pretty good player a few years ago... but I wouldn't suggest he's a lock. I mean, if he dials back father time, and is the same guy who was putting up PPG, sure.... but if he's lost a step, and plays like he did last year, well... he's on thin ice.

Kids need to show they can play defensively responsible hockey, if they can do that they can make the team imo…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Some of that defensive ability is going to have to come from Nylander.
The reality is that the center position demands alot more out of a player than wing. You have to now take faceoffs, sometimes in the defensive zone and are asked to take on a bigger responsibility defensively in your own zone.

Nylander can no doubt stick at the center position if all someone is basing it around is his offensive abilities. It will be how much he can show in the all around abilities of a Center department that will determine if the project works or not.

As of right now we know he's not a extremely strong defensive player when playing wing but Center is a totally different position and if he wants to make it work, he's going to need to up the intensity level and focus because the position demands it.

Yep, it will be interesting to see if he's driving this decision or management is.

I doubt he's the only player who'll be making adjustments, it isn't like they have perfect players in the line-up.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008

The one thing that really stands out when looking at our roster right now, is just how many capable players we have that could start in the pressbox.
I would say this is the deepest team we've had in awhile and it should produce alot of competition like you said.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
center is a more south position than winger and willy excels when hes forced to play more north south, ive always wanted him to stick at center for that reason. early in his toronto career he played some really intriguing minutes at center.
hes never going to be great in the defensive zone but his nuetral zone play is elite, and as center that skill can be optimized imo.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm guessing Nylander at center lasts 5-10 games at best.

We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day. He's also at that age where you can't exactly make leaps and bounds on your game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I'm guessing Nylander at center lasts 5-10 games at best.

We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day. He's also at that age where you can't exactly make leaps and bounds on your game.
keefe was a horrible coach when it came to accountability with his stars, and when things got difficult for any of his top forwards he defaulted to just throwing the best 4 together instead of making them accountable for their play. so for me willy as a center the past few years isnt indicative of much as he didnt actually give it a fair/extended shot at any point. i think berube will actually stick with willy at center if thats what the intention truly is, and at least for me, the amount of ice willy has as a center is actually way better for his game.

also, his first 5 years in the league he was above 50% on the draw.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Not sold on Willy at C at all. I get the thought... make our C's deeper and all. But he just earned a huge contract on being one of the best wingers in the game... why mess with that? Could be creating 2 problems with one move... eliminating a great winger and making him a so-so center. The only way I see it working is if Berube's system is somewhat different and allows a C more offensive freedom somehow.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
keefe was a horrible coach when it came to accountability with his stars, and when things got difficult for any of his top forwards he defaulted to just throwing the best 4 together instead of making them accountable for their play. so for me willy as a center the past few years isnt indicative of much as he didnt actually give it a fair/extended shot at any point. i think berube will actually stick with willy at center if thats what the intention truly is, and at least for me, the amount of ice willy has as a center is actually way better for his game.

also, his first 5 years in the league he was above 50% on the draw.

To be fair, I really believe Keefe had to take his cue from his GM on that. I really believe Keefe would have acted and behaved differently when it came to accountability under a different GM. Last year different GM but he was afraid for his job. Dubas set the tone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd expect him to get a deal

An AHL deal guarantees he stays in Toronto to "develop" instead of being on waivers and have a chance of getting claimed by some random team. He's probably tired of moving from crappy team to another. If he does really well, it's likely he'll get an NHL contract to stay in the NHL in the near future.

Reactions: tmlfan98

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
To be fair, I really believe Keefe had to take his cue from his GM on that. I really believe Keefe would have acted and behaved differently when it came to accountability under a different GM. Last year different GM but he was afraid for his job. Dubas set the tone.
i mean the only time they actually said they were going to give nylander an ACTUAL shot at center under keefe was last year. cant put that on dubas.
keefe makes the decisions in game in regards to lines, and while i can appreciate the fact that he was under more scrutiny than in the past thats not an excuse imo.

Not sold on Willy at C at all. I get the thought... make our C's deeper and all. But he just earned a huge contract on being one of the best wingers in the game... why mess with that? Could be creating 2 problems with one move... eliminating a great winger and making him a so-so center. The only way I see it working is if Berube's system is somewhat different and allows a C more offensive freedom somehow.
OR you could be solving multiple issues, you could look at it either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad