Training Camp Battle: Hatakka, DeSimone, Kovacevic

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He may play more games then most fans want, but he probably won't play more minutes. Last season he averaged 4:19 of toi per game.

So the silver lining of playing Mac is, we see less of the 4th line, and more of the top 9. Maybe that doesn't go for the entire 4th line, but at the very least, guys from the top 9 will double shift with the 4th liners.

It probably just means Jack playing too much.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The question is just how much leeway does Kovacevic have?

Like last season Nemec 100% outplayed Miller, Bahl, and Smith to earn a spot, but started the year in the AHL to preserve slide rule.

How much better do Hatakka / DeSimone have to look compared to Kovacevic to earn a spot.

If 24 year old Hatakka looks fantastic, I think you have to keep him.

But I think MacDermid would be the one to go instead of Kovacevic, keeping a veteran D just in case.

DeSimone I think if he vastly outplays Kovacevic will get the job over him, regardless of the sunk cost of DeSimone

I don't think there's any chance they earn a spot over Kovacevic and if they do, the Devils should try to trade Kovacevic - he's not making it through waivers, which is the whole reason Montreal traded him in the first place. They can't get a 4th back for him but they should be able to get something, hopefully.

I think Hatakka is sent down regardless, he missed basically a full season of pro hockey and could use some more time. There's not likely a permanent place for him here, so they're not going to be cute with his waiver status.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
If other teams have injuries in camp, maybe they'll look at Hatakka/DeSimone but that's not something I'd lose sleep over. Most teams have every spot filled and/or have similar tweeners to make decisions on.

Anaheim, Tampa, and Pittsburgh maybe have spots for another depth veteran D. Vegas seems like they'll have to move somebody unless they plan on carrying 8D. Conor Timmins isn't the type of D that the Pens need, but I can't help but wonder if Kyle Dubas would be interested if he hit the waiver wire.

Handful of UFA D still available: Oliver Kylington, John Klingberg (hip injury), Kevin Shattenkirk, Calen Addison, Mark Giordano, Travis Dermott

Ballpark D by division:
Is Drysdale not starting the season in PHI?

Reactions: Brodeur

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It probably just means Jack playing too much.
Jack's going to play more minutes then anyone else 5v5 anyways.

But Meier double shifting with Lazar and whoever sounds like a line that makes some sense.

Maybe Noesen or Cotter if those guys are in the top 9 get a few bonus 4th line shifts.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He may play more games then most fans want, but he probably won't play more minutes. Last season he averaged 4:19 of toi per game.

So the silver lining of playing Mac is, we see less of the 4th line, and more of the top 9. Maybe that doesn't go for the entire 4th line, but at the very least, guys from the top 9 will double shift with the 4th liners.
MacDermid should play against Rempe Wilson and then the few games where you are concerned a big mean face puncher is a necessary evil. Hopefully he only totals maybe 15 games.

Reactions: Guadana

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
One thing to note in all this is MacDermid’s cap hit is just under the amount that can be buried with no cap charge. I do wonder if the Devils giving him three years might make them contemplate sending MacDermid down for a little and hope no team wants to take the contract.

MacDermid is probably only going to be dressed for games against Flyers, Rangers, Capitals, or any other physical team. So maybe if there’s a lull in our schedule between games they want him up for they might do that.

Adding Dillon and Kovacevic who are both two big guys who aren’t afraid to drop the gloves also makes it a possibility that losing MacDermid isn’t the end of the world. Both of those guys can hold their own against the heavyweights.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is Drysdale not starting the season in PHI?

Oops, looks like I deleted Drysdale from Anaheim on my spreadsheet but forgot to add him to Philly.

Unrelated, but now I'm trying to find this old photo that I remember was in a magazine in the late 90's / early 00's of Lou in his office. Lou had a (partial) league wide depth chart behind him that he forgot to cover up (and I seem to recall that he was mad when the picture made it to print). I definitely remember that LA's depth chart was the one most visible and that they had Ian Laperriere listed a bit higher than expected.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
There is no training camp battle imo

Kovacevic gets the NHL nod.
To guarantee a 7D a spot before he's played a single second in your uniform would be rash.

He will likely win, and has a starting edge, but to say he's immune to competition because of a 4th round pick would be crazy

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Highly doubtful either plays their off hand in the NHL.
Maye that all depends upon the situation.

Personally, I believe Fitz isn't finished for the off season. Only a few more weeks for me to find out if my feeling is correct. If it is, bodies will be moving and I have no idea who.

If things remain the same, I think the 7 without Hatakka or DeSimone is what NJ will go with at the start.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
DeSimone is a dime a dozen player on a good day. I couldn’t care less if he’s claimed off waivers. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen in a limited sample size from Hatakka. It would be a bit disappointing to lose him but I get it’s a numbers game. I would be OK with Misyul getting a look in the case of injuries, which also mitigates the potential loss of Hatakka.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hatakka had some nice games with limited minutes but has real trouble staying healthy.

DeSimone was a budget (very) poor man’s Damon Severson.

Good luck to them in camp but they probably aren’t beating out a guy who’s played 143 NHL game unless he’s hurt or a struggling mess.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hatakka had some nice games with limited minutes but has real trouble staying healthy.

DeSimone was a budget (very) poor man’s Damon Severson.

Good luck to them in camp but they probably aren’t beating out a guy who’s played 143 NHL game unless he’s hurt or a struggling mess.
By budget are we talking Target. WalMart, or Dollar General?

• Haha
Reactions: Guttersniped

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
There is no battle it's Kovacevic for sure, the other 2 likely clear waivers at the beginning of the year when teams put all their fringe guys on waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4370.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly don't think the organization gives too much of a shit about DeSimone. I think they just see him as minor league help/NHL depth. And that's it.

I thought he'd be the 7th defenseman when he was re-signed, but we acquired 3 more defensemen after that.

He's the same age as Damon Severson, yet he's not even hit 40 games played in the NHL. And the entirety of his NHL career has been played the last two seasons. Actually, 34 of his 38 career NHL games came just last season. The other 4 came the year before that when he was 28 years old. I don't think he's a guy that the organization is gonna lose much sleep over if he's claimed on waivers. Maybe the plan was to possibly keep him on the NHL roster for the entirety of the season, but that was before we signed 2 veteran defensemen and traded for another, who despite being several years younger has already played 100+ more games in the NHL.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I honestly don't think the organization gives too much of a shit about DeSimone. I think they just see him as minor league help/NHL depth. And that's it.

I thought he'd be the 7th defenseman when he was re-signed, but we acquired 3 more defensemen after that.

He's the same age as Damon Severson, yet he's not even hit 40 games played in the NHL. And the entirety of his NHL career has been played the last two seasons. Actually, 34 of his 38 career NHL games came just last season. The other 4 came the year before that when he was 28 years old. I don't think he's a guy that the organization is gonna lose much sleep over if he's claimed on waivers. Maybe the plan was to possibly keep him on the NHL roster for the entirety of the season, but that was before we signed 2 veteran defensemen and traded for another, who despite being several years younger has already played 100+ more games in the NHL.
DeSimone though was good for us and is righty, which is important; in case we see Hamilton/Pesce go down or Nemec needs a few games off

I think they prefer him around and did their best with his contract to make that so

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
DeSimone though was good for us and is righty, which is important; in case we see Hamilton/Pesce go down or Nemec needs a few games off

I think they prefer him around and did their best with his contract to make that so
Kovacevic will be that guy not DeSimone. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Kovacevic and scratch Nemec or send him down tbh. I'd hate, people would freak, but I kinda get it.

Last edited:

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Kovalev will be that guy not DeSimone. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Kovacevic and scratch Nemec or send him down tbh. I'd hate, people would freak, but I kinda get it.
I can understand why youd think that but anything besides full NHL schedule, with a few maintenance days/games here and there, for Simon isnt the proper development for him at this point

He had more pro experience before his first NHL game then most at his age. Add in how cheap he is for two more years and it becomes hard to argue

Now... if he sinks the start of this season, for some reason, then yeah maybe they go that route. But I seriously cant see it happening. Plus this season is the best well ever have to insulate him before he ramps and takes off

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Nemec is never, ever going to be scratched (except for health) or sent down unless he starts playing REALLY bad at some point.

You don't not play guys like Nemec to play/avoid losing guys like Kovacevic, not when you're trying to build a winning hockey franchise

Kovacevic is our 7D because we had not a whole lot NHL ready and reliable on the right side and Dougie has missed huge chunks of the last 3 years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I can understand why youd think that but anything besides full NHL schedule, with a few maintenance days/games here and there, for Simon isnt the proper development for him at this point

He had more pro experience before his first NHL game then most at his age. Add in how cheap he is for two more years and it becomes hard to argue

Now... if he sinks the start of this season, for some reason, then yeah maybe they go that route. But I seriously cant see it happening. Plus this season is the best well ever have to insulate him before he ramps and takes off
The only reason to keep Nemec in the AHL was the slide years to preserve his ELC. That's gone now.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad