GDT: Training Camp 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Would’ve been nice to have a veteran RD, but with Broberg havin the ability to play both sides, they probably saw him as the first recall anyway and didn’t want to crowd Barkersfield.

Either way he likely wouldn’t have been starting games so nothing ventured nothing gained.

I was kind of expecting a two way contract for him at this point but it could be they didn’t want him to block any of the AHL players too. Kesselring, Kemp and Desharnais are all righties, no? Maybe more as well

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know people here were relieved that Virtanen was released, but I think he was a bit better overall than Demers so it was good that he was also released (player evaluation purposes).

Looks like Nemo will be up on the 7D spot for sure, then.
I’m still kind of expecting Demers to get signed tomorrow to be the 7th dman. Better to have him sitting in the press box and Niemelainen playing games in Bakersfield, and then have Niemo get the call up when someone gets hurt.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I’m still kind of expecting Demers to get signed tomorrow to be the 7th dman. Better to have him sitting in the press box and Niemelainen playing games in Bakersfield, and then have Niemo get the call up when someone gets hurt.

If it was any other coach I’d agree, but I have a feeling that Woody and Co are going to run 7D most games anyhow.

I suppose they could still sign him, but wonder why they wouldn’t have just done it today since he’s league minimum

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I thought the plan was the better of Broberg/Niemo in camp would be the 6D and Murray would be the 7D.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Or it's better to have Neimelainen playing as #6/#7 Dman in NHL

Reactions: Aerchon

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
With Shore and Hamblin sent down, does that mean our fourth line is =

Malone - Ryan - Kostin ?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It is Hilarious how overrated the Flames are going into this season. KAdri out of Colorado and Huberdeau without the depth the Panthers had will not come close to the years they had last year. They simply cannot contain the oilers and nothing has changed. The same experts who said they would sweep us are at it again this year,
The Flames forward depth is horrible. Toffoli as the top RW. Kadri has Mangipanne and Dube as wingers. I think they make the playoffs but finish 3 or 4 in the Pacific.

I thought the plan was the better of Broberg/Niemo in camp would be the 6D and Murray would be the 7D.
Murray is a legit 2nd pairing Dman when healthy.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Murray is a legit 2nd pairing Dman when healthy.
Maybe, and that is great insurance if true and needed. The Oilers are not paying Murray to be on the second pairing.

The Oilers are paying Murray league minimum to be the 7D on this team. It doesn't matter if Murray only plays 20 to 30 games. You don't want Broberg or Niemelainen playing so little. That is why one of the two will be down in Bakersfield for sure.

Murray is the 2022-23 version of Kris Russell.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I didn't know a player who just reached the age of 21 and has played less than 100 AHL/NHL games is considered a failure...
No one called him a failure. Broberg just failed to secure a NHL spot himself this camp along with Bourgault, Samaroukov and many others..

He is only 21 as you said so he is far from a failure and still our top 3 prospect.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Maybe, and that is great insurance if true and needed. The Oilers are not paying Murray to be on the second pairing.

The Oilers are paying Murray league minimum to be the 7D on this team. It doesn't matter if Murray only plays 20 to 30 games. You don't want Broberg or Niemelainen playing so little. That is why one of the two will be down in Bakersfield for sure.

Murray is the 2022-23 version of Kris Russell.
Ryan Murray was once one of the highest leverage LHD in the league and put up solid defensive metrics while doing so. Maybe doesn't have the offense you'd want for a former 2nd overall but a strong 2nd pair shutdown guy who can face opposing 1st lines would be considered an above average outcome for Broberg and the absolute best possible outcome for Niemelainen. Don't lump him in with Kris Russell, he's better than all our non-Nurse dmen if he's 100% healthy.

Also you guys greatly overrated the necessity to develop Niems. His ceiling in this league is a properly utilized version of Gudbranson/Ristolainen/Chiarot/Larsson etc, a good physical bottom pair dman who can add energy against opposing bottom 6 forwards but gets caved in possession wise against top 6 forwards due to lack of puck skills/puck movement. You pay these guys slightly above league minimum, put them into the lineup against big strong teams that don't have much elite offensive skill, take them out vs softer skill based teams, let them throw their weight around, and cut bait in 3-5 years and let some other team hand them a 4 million dollars brinks truck to get themselves fodderized in a top 4 role.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I didn't know a player who just reached the age of 21 and has played less than 100 AHL/NHL games is considered a failure...
I never said he was a failure....
Holland said he had a guaranteed place on the team, and had to play himself off it.
Which he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerfish

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Day one (21-man) roster:

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
RNH - McLeod - Puljujarvi
Foegele - Malone - Ryan

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Murray - Bouchard
Broberg

Campbell
Skinner

$165 in cap space

Expectation is that tomorrow Malone will be sent down and Shore called up, while Broberg will be switched with Niemelainen.

The Oilers will run with 20-21 players on the active roster until someone with a sizeable cap hit gets injured long enough for LTIR, or a trade is made to free up cap.
Theoretically, 3 very good lines if all clicks. 4th line is probably above average in terms of skill too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ryan Murray was once one of the highest leverage LHD in the league and put up solid defensive metrics while doing so. Maybe doesn't have the offense you'd want for a former 2nd overall but a strong 2nd pair shutdown guy who can face opposing 1st lines would be considered an above average outcome for Broberg and the absolute best possible outcome for Niemelainen. Don't lump him in with Kris Russell, he's better than all our non-Nurse dmen if he's 100% healthy.

Also you guys greatly overrated the necessity to develop Niems. His ceiling in this league is a properly utilized version of Gudbranson/Ristolainen/Chiarot/Larsson etc, a good physical bottom pair dman who can add energy against opposing bottom 6 forwards but gets caved in possession wise against top 6 forwards due to lack of puck skills/puck movement. You pay these guys slightly above league minimum, put them into the lineup against big strong teams that don't have much elite offensive skill, take them out vs softer skill based teams, let them throw their weight around, and cut bait in 3-5 years and let some other team hand them a 4 million dollars brinks truck to get themselves fodderized in a top 4 role.
How much did Murray play in the playoffs again, and why did Colorado add Josh Manson? Having guys like Niemelainen helps against bigger bodied guys like you've said above, he can also injure smaller skilled players with legal hits. I have time for a guy like that on my team's 3rd pairing all day long.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Don't lump him in with Kris Russell, he's better than all our non-Nurse dmen if he's 100% healthy.

That is a pretty big if.

Looks like 2015-16 was the last full season Murray didn't miss at least a dozen games. Even in the 56 game season he missed eight games.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
How much did Murray play in the playoffs again, and why did Colorado add Josh Manson? Having guys like Niemelainen helps against bigger bodied guys like you've said above, he can also injure smaller skilled players with legal hits. I have time for a guy like that on my team's 3rd pairing all day long.
IIRC Ryan Murray got himself injured (again) back in March. Google seems to indicate he recovered from the hand injury in the middle of the St Louis series but I'd assume he wasn't even close to 80% let alone 100%. I do agree there's a place for these hit seeking physical dmen in the league but a healthy Ryan Murray is many tiers above the likes of Risto/Gudbranson and those are Niemelainen's best outcomes as a player. Manson isn't the same as these others, he was actually a very strong possession player for many years and even in the last 2 disastrous years in Anaheim he was still actually doing fine shot metrics wise. His on ice save percentage was abysmal though.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am interested to see what happens today. I assume it will be a 21 man roster where Broberg/Malone get flipped for Nemo/Shore.

Kind of just sucks. Wish we had a 23 man roster. Would be nice to see Janmark and Kostin up with the team or some other combination.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Shore is an ultimate team guy. Good leadership by Draisaitl.

But I feel like the sentimental stuff is what is going to keep Shore up when theres players who are probably better than him, not playing. (Which is compounded further with a 21 man roster). Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Our fourth line will barely play. And I am sure that guys will separate themselves as the season goes on and of course there will be injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium