Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
In what world is Nylander the better player? He doesn’t show up every game. He can go a week stretch being invisible.

Marner, on top of his obvious offensive abilities, is also defensively responsible, can play the PK.

Now, having said that…I’m all for dealing Marner if we were able to max out his market value. Heck I’d even deal Nylander instead if that was possible.

Reactions: leafs in five

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Will be interesting to see which Willie we get this year and for how many games. The Willie that played the first 39 games last year was a pure beast.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In what world is Nylander the better player? He doesn’t show up every game. He can go a week stretch being invisible.

Marner, on top of his obvious offensive abilities, is also defensively responsible, can play the PK.

Now, having said that…I’m all for dealing Marner if we were able to max out his market value. Heck I’d even deal Nylander instead if that was possible.
He may have some better attributes but overall not many would take him as the better player.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This team has too many weapons to be a "two-line, one PP" team that can be shit down in the playoffs.

Making Willy a C allows us to have much better depth and balance. Three scoring lines and two strong PP units should be the objective.

Reactions: aingefan

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This team has too many weapons to be a "two-line, one PP" team that can be shit down in the playoffs.

Making Willy a C allows us to have much better depth and balance. Three scoring lines and two strong PP units should be the objective.
I've always been a stack one PP guy, give your best players the full 2 minutes.
They need to stop being so stagnant and predictable though, that was their great flaw come playoff time.
It was so frustrating to watch.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I've always been a stack one PP guy, give your best players the full 2 minutes.
They need to stop being so stagnant and predictable though, that was their great flaw come playoff time.
It was so frustrating to watch.

I have been a stack PP1 guy too. I have seen our stacked unit fail too many times in the playoffs and am open to new ideas now.

Perhaps if we have two units we would be less predictable and ride the hot hand if one unit gets going.

My caveat for two units is have Matthews on both of them though. Something like...

PP1a

Marner
Matthews
Robertson
Knies
OEL

PP1b

Domi
Matthews
Nylander
Tavares
Rielly

...it looks.like Berube likes to stack one unit though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Except that’s not a problem for management. They made the decision to keep them. Clearly Bérubé wants his crack at them.
Do you seriously believe Tre could have easily traded both of them despite their NTCs that Marner in particular says he won't waive?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I have been a stack PP1 guy too. I have seen our stacked unit fail too many times in the playoffs and am open to new ideas now.

Perhaps if we have two units we would be less predictable and ride the hot hand if one unit gets going.

My caveat for two units is have Matthews on both of them though. Something like...

PP1a

Marner
Matthews
Robertson
Knies
OEL

PP1b

Domi
Matthews
Nylander
Tavares
Rielly

...it looks.like Berube likes to stack one unit though.
Hopefully they will do some heavy experimenting during the season and come up with many different looks by playoff time.

I know it was just media speak from Berube but it's happened far too often to just be down to "slumping at the wrong time".
Same with the PK.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Hopefully they will do some heavy experimenting during the season and come up with many different looks by playoff time.

I know it was just media speak from Berube but it's happened far too often to just be down to "slumping at the wrong time".
Same with the PK.
Yeah, that's really all Berube can say at this point. Let's see what his actions are.

As for the PK, I like our defense adds. I think Tanev and Hakanpaa will help. We already have McCabe and Benoit. OEL could play some minute too.

Ad for forwards, I am curious to see the strategy. I prefer the fourth line having three PKers on it from Dewar, Kampf, Lorentz and Jarnkrok. McMann and Knies looked OK at times last year. How much do we ride Marner? Do we see Willy and Austin back on PK. Improved goaltending is a help for the PK.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, that's really all Berube can say at this point. Let's see what his actions are.

As for the PK, I like our defense adds. I think Tanev and Hakanpaa will help. We already have McCabe and Benoit. OEL could play some minute too.

Ad for forwards, I am curious to see the strategy. I prefer the fourth line having three PKers on it from Dewar, Kampf, Lorentz and Jarnkrok. McMann and Knies looked OK at times last year. How much do we ride Marner? Do we see Willy and Austin back on PK. Improved goaltending is a help for the PK.
Yeah, I think the Goalies will help as well.
I wouldn't have any of Marner, Matthews or Nylander on the PK if possible. Obviously that can change based on the game situation.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nylander is more skillful IMO, Marner is definitely the better overall player.
Marner is better defensively. Willy has a better shot and will score more goals. In terms of overall impact it works out about the same to me.

However, due to MItch's defensive attributes, to me, he is the one that should tried at C.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah, I think the Goalies will help as well.
I wouldn't have any of Marner, Matthews or Nylander on the PK if possible. Obviously that can change based on the game situation.
It really comes about line-up configuration then. We need five or six PKing forwards and if we trying to rule out those three, Tavares doesn't PK, neither do Robertson or Pacioretty. It's hard to imagine how Reaves gets in.

Knies Matthews Marner
Pacioretty Nylander Domi
McMann Tavares Robertson
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
Dewar
Lorentz
Reaves
Cowan

That starting 12 would give us Holmberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, McMann and Knies that can PK. If Dewar or Lorentz comes in one of them is coming out. I think we still need Mitch PKing.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do you seriously believe Tre could have easily traded both of them despite their NTCs that Marner in particular says he won't waive?

It really was just Marner, they wouldn’t have moved JT. I think it’s irrelevant. They chose to keep Marner. Marner also didn’t say he wouldn’t waive.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Look at Florida, lots of very good players, like I said many hands make for light work……..

Only if they are all healthy. Take out Barkov/marner and Reinhaart/Matthews and how does it look?

Leafs aren't special being dependent on their top players, and if they're out, like Matthews and Nylander it is a huge hit against their depth.

Regardless, if the Leafs haven't drafted well enough, they just won't have enough talent to support their stars.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It really comes about line-up configuration then. We need five or six PKing forwards and if we trying to rule out those three, Tavares doesn't PK, neither do Robertson or Pacioretty. It's hard to imagine how Reaves gets in.

Knies Matthews Marner
Pacioretty Nylander Domi
McMann Tavares Robertson
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
Dewar
Lorentz
Reaves
Cowan

That starting 12 would give us Holmberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, McMann and Knies that can PK. If Dewar or Lorentz comes in one of them is coming out. I think we still need Mitch PKing.
Good point. :thumbu:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Only if they are all healthy. Take out Barkov/marner and Reinhaart/Matthews and how does it look?

Leafs aren't special being dependent on their top players, and if they're out, like Matthews and Nylander it is a huge hit against their depth.

Regardless, if the Leafs haven't drafted well enough, they just won't have enough talent to support their stars.
no team can lose their top two players and excel, but I can;t think of a team more dependant on those guys more than Toronto, Florida would fair much better than the Leaf in this scenario imo......

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
no team can lose their top two players and excel, but I can;t think of a team more dependant on those guys more than Toronto, Florida would fair much better than the Leaf in this scenario imo......

Perhaps. We'll never know at this point, but would you place a bet, even odds, that the Panthers without those 2 would have won the Cup?

No.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

The team that just took Florida to game 7 in the SCF is probably as dependant. Once again, the big difference is playoffs performance.

I don't think Berube is some panacea but it'll be interesting to see if a new voice can resonate differently with this core. I think that's the most frustrating thing about this iteration of the team... We all know how talented they are but they need to breakout in the playoffs.

I've grumbled as much as anyone on here and have wanted a change for awhile, but if Matthews and Marner ever hit a hot streak together they could go deep.

I'm skeptical, but we will see.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad