Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Personally I disagree. I don't think allocating that much of the cap to four players, specifically forwards is a big problem. Last year, it wasn't that our Goalies let us down, or our D wasn't quite good enough in the playoffs. It was those four forwards didn't play to the level of their pay. If you have truly elite players, they should be dominating, especially on the PP, which of course they have in the regular season most of the time.... Top 2 team in the NHL, along with the Oilers over the past years.

4.8% in the playoffs last year on 21 opportunities... if they are elite players, at nearly 30% like the Oilers and Avalanche, that's 6-7 goals on the PP, instead of 1.

Matthews shoots 5% in the playoffs.... normally he's over 15%... that's an extra two goals... (We could say the same of Marner and Tavares too)

So if this offense puts in an extra 8-9 goals... we probably move on, and continue to have success.

I think the problem is these "elite" players, paid at an "elite" level, just aren't "elite" when the playoffs come. It's that SO FAR, these are the wrong players to expect playoff success. Frankly, if we paid them 40% of the cap, I don't think it makes any difference either.... you need your best players to be the best players on the ice, when it counts.

The cap % is a compelling argument no doubt, but I think it's a red herring. Our stars, just don't show up enough in the playoffs. Frankly their pay doesn't matter... if they aren't going to show up when it counts, they aren't going to show.
If so much of the cap wasn’t tied up to 4 forwards they could acquire better goaltending and improve the D, your making my point for me my friend. Another consideration is how much of the cap being tied up to so few players affects the team when said players get hurt like happened last playoffs?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If so much of the cap wasn’t tied up to 4 forwards they could acquire better goaltending and improve the D, your making my point for me my friend. Another consideration is how much of the cap being tied up to so few players affects the team when said players get hurt like happened last playoffs?
Except we let in fewer goals than either of the Cup finalists. I mean, if you want to build a team that wins 1-0, 2-1 and can only win that way, sure. The point about players getting hurt is valid... but then, I don't think it matters much... if McDavid got hurt, Edmonton would be toast. If Bob was hurt, Florida wouldn't have gone past the first round...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree in so much, as you move on from players who don't help in the playoffs. If we have guys who played like Kucherov, or MacKinnon, or McDavid in the playoffs, we'd keep them, and build the team around them and it wouldn't matter what they were paid. Again, the dollars doesn't matter much, in my opinion. It's the quality of play. If they don't work as a group, you have to move on from the weakest players in the playoffs.

It was really frustrating to hear yesterday again that when they looked at moving on from the core guys that they couldn't find a deal that would make them better and it's like, how? For many years can you say that and then get sent packing round 1?

I'll never dispute Marner is like a 1st or 2nd team all star, good for 85-95 pts a year, good 2-way game but he absolutely does not show up in the playoffs.

I see guys like Lucas Raymond upping for 8.05M x 8 years with Detroit (BUT THE CAP IS GOING UP) and then I see Marner at a hair under 11M and don't even know if that AAV makes sense, never mind a raise.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Except we let in fewer goals than either of the Cup finalists. I mean, if you want to build a team that wins 1-0, 2-1 and can only win that way, sure. The point about players getting hurt is valid... but then, I don't think it matters much... if McDavid got hurt, Edmonton would be toast. If Bob was hurt, Florida wouldn't have gone past the first round...
I don’t care how they win, I loved the Roger Nielson Leafs……….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad