Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Syd is coming off a 12 year contract.
This next 2 year contract is for age 38 and 39.

Perhaps if 12 year deals were available Tavares may have taken 1.
Rielly and Nylander took full term contracts.

If Syd had to re-sign 4 years ago who knows how much he would have received?

As for the others ... we'll see
Father time has yet to catch up to Syd. He just put us 42 goals and 52 assists, is a C, has won multiple SCs for them. Unless he falls off a cliff, he just gave Dubas his xmas present.

Edit: Syd has not had a raise in 12 years. Good for you Syd but you are not winning anything with Kye making the decisions there.

Last edited:

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Syd is coming off a 12 year contract.
This next 2 year contract is for age 38 and 39.

Perhaps if 12 year deals were available Tavares may have taken 1.
Rielly and Nylander took full term contracts.

If Syd had to re-sign 4 years ago who knows how much he would have received?

As for the others ... we'll see
That's very true.

He still produces like a 20 yearold (from this era) though lol. Might've been able to get more.

I think he believes in the Penguins and wants to win with them again. It is nice to see. The passion anyways.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's very true.

He still produces like a 20 yearold (from this era) though lol. Might've been able to get more.

I think he believes in the Penguins and wants to win with them again. It is nice to see. The passion anyways.

Malkin and Crosby both played 82 games last season.

That's 2 years in a row.

Last time Malkin did that was 2007-2009

Wild.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Given our depth chart and what we have on paper today...I think its pretty clear that our trade deadline targets this upcoming season is gonna be forwards.

Barring injuries, I think our defense is set. Like we can run 8 deep if need be. I dont see us wasting assets there
My hope would be that recent callups like Homberg and McMann get roles where they can show their whole skill set.
Holmberg in particular. His greatest flaw is his intelligence and attention to defensive responsibilities. This might pigeon hole him away from offensive opportunities. He can hang with offensive players too.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He actually signed at 17.3% on his post-ELC, which was the biggest ever outside of Ovechkin's 13-year contract. And he'll be 38 and 39 for this next one.
He is one of the few to ever give a discount though, on his 2nd contract. Though a lot of that had to do with Crosby's obsession with the number 87.

And to be fair. He had massive concussion/neck injury issues and probably didn’t expect to play this long.

He still took a ton of money. Just ended up being one of the few to play out the string.

He even (According to Friedman) approached the league multiple times to try to renegotiate his contract.

This is a good fair deal by dubas. Helped along with his obsession with 87.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And to be fair. He had massive concussion/neck injury issues and probably didn’t expect to play this long.

He still took a ton of money. Just ended up being one of the few to play out the string.

He even (According to Friedman) approached the league multiple times to try to renegotiate his contract.

This is a good fair deal by dubas. Helped along with his obsession with 87.

Is it true the Dubas wanted to pay him, $10,878,787 for 6 years? (8+7=15; 1+5=6)

:jk:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Morgan Frost + 4th Rounder
To Philadelphia: Calle Jarnkrok + Nick Robertson

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - Frost - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL - Hakanpa
Benoit

Woll - Stolarz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, while it was a lower than expected cap hit, that total financial investment with his injury concerns at the time was still a risk for the team, and it provided a lot of financial security for a player with an uncertain future.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Given our depth chart and what we have on paper today...I think its pretty clear that our trade deadline targets this upcoming season is gonna be forwards.

Barring injuries, I think our defense is set. Like we can run 8 deep if need be. I dont see us wasting assets there

Probably a 3C you’d think. And potentially more forward depth if needed come that point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if Philly is still interested in Robertson… Maybe something like Robertson + Kampf + 2nd for Laughton makes sense?

That does very little for them. They have Tippett, Farabee, Foerster and Cates on the left. They probably will be able to get a 1st round pick by the deadline if they are still selling.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if Philly is still interested in Robertson… Maybe something like Robertson + Kampf + 2nd for Laughton makes sense?

There have been rumours, or maybe media speculation about Laughton or even Frost being available.

If Laughton were available, he'd be a better 3C fit, does PK, more physical... but older. Frost on the other hand has 2C upside, more offensive, less physical and has been pretty sheltered in his play.

I don't know if either is truly available, or if Philly is interested in that package, but it wouldn't hurt any to ask. The question would be, which would be the better fit, Laughton or Frost? I guess some of the answer to that question is dependent on what you think you've got in Minten and Holmberg... who can play the PK now, and the defensive situations now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

There have been rumours, or maybe media speculation about Laughton or even Frost being available.

If Laughton were available, he'd be a better 3C fit, does PK, more physical... but older. Frost on the other hand has 2C upside, more offensive, less physical and has been pretty sheltered in his play.

I don't know if either is truly available, or if Philly is interested in that package, but it wouldn't hurt any to ask. The question would be, which would be the better fit, Laughton or Frost? I guess some of the answer to that question is dependent on what you think you've got in Minten and Holmberg... who can play the PK now, and the defensive situations now.

Flyers are over the Cap, and still have to address the Johansen termination. If Johansen goes under the knife it would be difficult to justify a termination based on his refusal to play.

I have read, a while ago, the Flames are willing to facilitate player movement, for a price of course.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Flyers are over the Cap, and still have to address the Johansen termination. If Johansen goes under the knife it would be difficult to justify a termination based on his refusal to play.

I have read, a while ago, the Flames are willing to facilitate player movement, for a price of course.

I mean... the Johansen thing doesn't mean anything to their cap at the current time. Either he is terminated and gone, or on LTIR. Unless there is some kind of penalty.

Would Flames deal with us though? The only guy who makes sense is Backlund... they'd have to retain... I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Why is Laughton 8n Tort’s doghouse, I’d want to know that before even thinking of acquiring him……..
I don't think he is in the doghouse. The team is rebuilding. It makes sense to move older guys.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean... the Johansen thing doesn't mean anything to their cap at the current time. Either he is terminated and gone, or on LTIR. Unless there is some kind of penalty.

Would Flames deal with us though? The only guy who makes sense is Backlund... they'd have to retain... I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I don't think he is in the doghouse. The team is rebuilding. It makes sense to move older guys.

He was last season, Tort’s has the stones to bench his captain, I want to know why………

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

No, Flames said they'd help with moving players from one team to another team, using their $20mm in Cap Space.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He was last season, Tort’s has the stones to bench his captain, I want to know why………
Couturier was the Captain. We aren't talking about him. Laughton played 82 games last year. Torts benches everyone pretty much. One game Laughton had 4 minutes less than normal, as he didn't get his normal play in the third period. Five players had reduced ice time that game. All that was said, is he needed more from those players. After that game, Laughton's ice time went up... from 14:54 a game up to that point, to to 15:39 average on the season.

John Tortorella held a lot of guys accountable tonight:> Scott Laughton sat final 17:27 > Nic Deslauriers sat final 17:27 > Noah Cates sat final 7:32> Marc Staal sat final 7:22> Nic Seeler sat final 6:21

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
With Mercer still unsigned in New Jersey, I would give them a call and see what they might like. He'd be a perfect 3rd line center for this team and possible #2 if he continues to develop.

To Toronto-
Mercer

To New Jersey-
Robertson
Jarnkrok
2nd Round Pick
That’s so bad for Jersey . Mercer has significant value imo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Couturier was the Captain. We aren't talking about him. Laughton played 82 games last year. Torts benches everyone pretty much. One game Laughton had 4 minutes less than normal, as he didn't get his normal play in the third period. Five players had reduced ice time that game. All that was said, is he needed more from those players. After that game, Laughton's ice time went up... from 14:54 a game up to that point, to to 15:39 average on the season.

John Tortorella held a lot of guys accountable tonight:> Scott Laughton sat final 17:27 > Nic Deslauriers sat final 17:27 > Noah Cates sat final 7:32> Marc Staal sat final 7:22> Nic Seeler sat final 6:21

1726591781501.jpeg

My bad, I don’t know how I got that wrong, carry on and ignore the idiot named Rumman………

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm guessing they'll sign Gillies and put him on waivers to play for the Marlies if Murray doesn't clear waivers.

Gillies, Mcdonald, Parsons were three very hyped flames goalie prospects who all disapointed and busted outright

They have Dustin Wolf now who will try to shed that trend and become a great internally developed 1G for tje flames in a very long time.

Gillies should be a solid AHL backup

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Father time has yet to catch up to Syd. He just put us 42 goals and 52 assists, is a C, has won multiple SCs for them. Unless he falls off a cliff, he just gave Dubas his xmas present.

Edit: Syd has not had a raise in 12 years. Good for you Syd but you are not winning anything with Kye making the decisions there.
The only present he gave Dubas is two more years of delay on a needed rebuild.

NHL owners are obsessed with retooling though, so this type of short term thinking is far from uncommon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad