Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Exactly

its one thing to say leafs should move Kampf but honestly who in this line up could replace Kampf? nobody... The only hope is Minten and nobody know if hes really NHL ready.

I think many people could replace him internally. He plays a lot of PK and definitely has a solid work ethic but he's pretty average to sub average all around otherwise. He's not even dominant on draws and he was only 46% on the PK when facing top centers.

I don't think he's a bad player but for his cap hit -- he's certainly not very good. If the Leafs can dump his cap hit entirely without a clear replacement -- they should do it. I have serious doubts Treliving can pull that off without giving up an asset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz and OVO16

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I'd be astonished if Kampf goes anywhere. He's been our most consistently reliable bottom sixer for a few years now. Replacing him with tweeners to make the money work to squeeze in a geriatric Pacioretty isn't going to happen.

Good news with these signings is that we're going to have some real competition at camp. Lots of guys with deals and the NHL lifestyle to play for, kids trying to fight their way in and steal those jobs. Robertson, the kids, Pacioretty, Reaves, even Holmberg will all be working hard. Should be a good camp, and it's nice to have a bit of quality in our depth.
kampf for the most part was really bad last year, 2 years ago he was great, last year he fell apart, at least imo.
last years kampf isnt worth that salary.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why does Alberga pretend he has sources?

Why does Alberga pretend he has sources?

He's hit on a lot of stuff in the last bit. Him and Rosehill clearly have some form of sources and have a lot of NHL players and execs guests on their show. You don't have to believe what he says. He's about the same level as David Pagnotta from the Fourth Period.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's hit on a lot of stuff in the last bit. Him and Rosehill clearly have some form of sources and have a lot of NHL players and execs guests on their show. You don't have to believe what he says. He's about the same level as David Pagnotta from the Fourth Period.
I mean, most people in here had said the same thing after Dreger's tweet.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that if they are signing Robertson, Pacioretty, and Hakanpaa, they are going to have to move out some money. It's called math.

Reactions: tmlfan98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean, most people in here had said the same thing after Dreger's tweet.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that if they are signing Robertson, Pacioretty, and Hakanpaa, they are going to have to move out some money. It's called math.

He's just tweeting out information. If you could deduce all this, then that's great. Not everyone is here or plugged into every single rumour or whatever. It's not a big deal. Feel free to just ignore the information as you see fit my dude.

Reactions: Zero1 and ACC1224

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I think many people could replace him internally. He plays a lot of PK and definitely has a solid work ethic but he's pretty average to sub average all around otherwise. He's not even dominant on draws and he was only 46% on the PK when facing top centers.

I don't think he's a bad player but for his cap hit -- he's certainly not very good. If the Leafs can dump his cap hit entirely without a clear replacement -- they should do it. I have serious doubts Treliving can pull that off without giving up an asset.

You need to be careful about % fo in pk...You basically need a clean win to win a faceoff in PK but if its a 50/50 battle, winger and your teammate come to help you in the faceoff... and you don't have the same amount of player to do it so that's why pk faceoff are harder than any other situation.

exemple Kopitar is at 55% overal, he decline at 45 on PK and watch every top player on fecaoff, they all decline on PK for the same reason.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's just tweeting out information. If you could deduce all this, then that's great. Not everyone is here or plugged into every single rumour or whatever. It's not a big deal. Feel free to just ignore the information as you see fit my dude.
Not sure why you took this as a personal shot. Meant nothing towards you.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My guess is Kampf (trade) and Reaves (trade/waivers) will be the cap casualties assuming no LTIR injuries pop up in training camp.

I don't see Treliving trading Reaves after he heralded him as a great locker room piece. Maybe he gets waived and put in a Simmons role though.

As for Kampf, his value is also pretty bad so it'll be hard. But for 2.4M -- I think that can be replaced with a Minten or whoever else for a much cheaper cap hit. He was Trelivings first extension I believe since taking over Leafs GM so maybe not someone they want to dump quite yet.

Considering the Leafs going after Pacioretty -- maybe Jarnkrok's value/role gets moved. I think that would be a mistake but could be the move they make.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Are you looking at equals? Are you including the non-playoff teams in the reguar season?

I had a quick look at the PP for the four teams in the conference finals, and three of them had a drop of 2.4, 4, and 5, while Edmonton was up 3.
I looked since 2018-19, you are looking at one year... almost every team has been in the playoffs since that period. Yes, non-playoff teams are included in the regular season. For 32 teams, and five seasons, it pretty much eliminates any errors in the data.... besides, the comparison is to us dropping significantly, versus the field being around the same.

Boy, moving out Jarnkrok for Patches would be a terrible move.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pagnotta said the leafs might sign Paccioretty to a PTO before getting him signed to a 1 yr contract, so it gives the leafs time to make a trade to clear cap-space

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But then look at the regular season PP numbers. The Leafs have generally been near the top of the league in power play efficiency in the regular season. It then drops considerably in the playoffs, which makes me think it is a player issue rather than a systems issue.

Most guys aren’t enthusiastic about blocking shots facefirst on a Tuesday game in November. The passing lanes exist in the regular season when strong teams are pacing themselves and bottom feeders are just playing to pad offensive stats.

I don’t have the stats on hand but I believe our PP has been dropping like a rock towards the last month or two of regular season for a few years in a row now. Just off the top of my head we had those two long 0 for 40 type streaks the last two years to close out the season. Maybe it’s nerves from our end but that would line up with contenders tightening up their games going into playoffs and taking away those passing lanes.

Reactions: Evilhomer

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If we can shed Kampf and/or Reaves they got themselves quite a versatile forward group out of the gate, and then adding a 3rd line center during the trade deadline would be all that's needed.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Seravelli just said its more like Robertson gets traded before the season starts, now that he's signed to a contract. Its easier to trade player with a contract locked in.

So i guess he's not starting the season for us afterall. Explains the Pacioretty Interest

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Servelli just said its more like Robertson gets traded before the season starts, now that he's signed a contract. Its easier to trade player with a contract locked in.

So i guess he's not starting the season for us afterall. Explains the Pacioretty Interest

Dreger said almost the opposite of that. So there's some conflict here.

I'm sure the Leafs are open to granting Robertsons request but seems like interest is pretty low for what they want back.

Seravalli also said Marner would be traded this summer. So sometimes these reports go fruitless.

Reactions: tmlfan98

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Seravelli just said its more like Robertson gets traded before the season starts, now that he's signed to a contract. Its easier to trade player with a contract locked in.

That’s a nonsense take imo.
Seravelli is crap most of the time.

An RFA with no arb rights and limited nhl experience being unsigned isn’t why a deal doesn’t happen

Reactions: Evilhomer

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
As for Kampf, his value is also pretty bad so it'll be hard. But for 2.4M -- I think that can be replaced with a Minten or whoever else for a much cheaper cap hit. He was Trelivings first extension I believe since taking over Leafs GM so maybe not someone they want to dump quite yet.
Kyper was first on the captaincy change early in the offseason, and he also said around that same time the Leafs would probably cut bait with Kampf before the season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kyper was first on the captaincy change early in the offseason, and he also said around that same time the Leafs would probably cut bait with Kampf before the season.

Maybe but I think they would have done it a long time ago if they could and wanted to. Maybe Treliving has something up his sleeve though...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He can be waived and the space recovered would be enough for a Cowan or a Grebenkin, actually any non-roster player.

No need to give up an asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad