Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The things I would do to have McArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin as a line on the modern Leafs.........

If only Grabovski ever learned to keep his head up, and that plane crash hadn’t happened.

Best case scenario is that Holmberg takes a big step forward and fills the role. Otherwise it’s probably a deadline move. Domi could fill in 2c but isn’t a checking centre at all. I would play Nylander with Matthews just like Babcock used to.

There is no law or rules that say a 3C has to be a checking line.

Reactions: bax and leafsfan5

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
If only Grabovski ever learned to keep his head up, and that plane crash hadn’t happened.

There is no law or rules that say a 3C has to be a checking line.
Of course not, but there is a reason many teams strive for that balance. When you are in the playoffs and it’s a game of matchups, you need players capable of neutralizing other scorers. Tavares ain’t that, and Kampf doesn’t bring enough offensively to be effective in that role. It’s been a gap for us since we traded Kadri.

Btw- I’ve read a few posts that grabo and kulemin weren’t the same after that plane crash, but they weren’t on that team as far as I recall. What was the link if you don’t mind me asking?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So is there no one that we can look at bringing in for the 3C hole?
There probably is; however, like any center position, the cost is usually high.

Robertson is the main trade piece, and I'm not sure how much he moves the needle for a team to part with one (probably not at all), so a "buy low" player or a PTO could be the most likely options.

Or maybe they'll look at Marner at C.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Of course not, but there is a reason many teams strive for that balance. When you are in the playoffs and it’s a game of matchups, you need players capable of neutralizing other scorers. Tavares ain’t that, and Kampf doesn’t bring enough offensively to be effective in that role. It’s been a gap for us since we traded Kadri.

Btw- I’ve read a few posts that grabo and kulemin weren’t the same after that plane crash, but they weren’t on that team as far as I recall. What was the link if you don’t mind me asking?

Some of Kulemin’s good friends were on that team. Grabo had nothing to do with the plane crash, he just wasn’t the same after multiple hits to the head from skating around admiring the puck.

Kampf brings that role from 4C. It’s weird how people get stuck on definitions of how things must be.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some of Kulemin’s good friends were on that team. Grabo had nothing to do with the plane crash, he just wasn’t the same after multiple hits to the head from skating around admiring the puck.

Kampf brings that role from 4C. It’s weird how people get stuck on definitions of how things must be.

Ideally the 3C has a bit of both in them or you can go more offensive if someone in your top 6 is really defensive.

Ex. If you have prime Toews or Mike Richards who can handle match up duties, you can probably handle someone more offensively inclined like Max Domi at 3C, especially if you have Kampf or Marcus Kruger at 4C

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Kampf is 4c because he’s just not good enough. It’s good to have a 4c with some of his defensive qualities, but we’re not exactly going to be itching to throw our 4th line out against the other teams top threats. It has nothing to do with definitions and everything to do with effectiveness. If Kampf was a 40-50pt guy it might very well be a different story.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

One of Antropov's most vivid memories, meanwhile, is of the day Korolev became a Canadian citizen, in 2000, and they celebrated well into the night.

"He loved Canada," said Igor Kuperman, a former Jets staffer who became one of Korolev's closest friends. "He really, really loved Canada."

"Not your typical Russian player," Thomas added. "He was more of a guy that, as the years went on, really wanted to become more of a Canadian."

No one in the hockey world was surprised when Korolev became a coach for the first time this summer, as he'd mentored so many young Russian players since coming to North America that it was simply second nature to him.

Lately, he and his wife had become close with Leafs winger Nikolai Kulemin, who – like Antropov a decade earlier – needed help learning English and a friendly face to show him around town.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Teams in Florida... with ZERO cap space. Boston, with a pretty full lineup. Are these teams even looking for a LW?

Anyway, he's pretty washed as a player... likely better options internally.

Kampf is miles better and more useful than Patch at this stage in his career. That's a net negative more.
Lmao on his worst day Patch is 3 times the player Kampf is, give your head a shake. Pacioretty 65 career GWG's not including playoffs & had more points than Kampf in half as many games last season, Kampf career GWG's 5. In the playoffs when it counts the most, who is getting you that GWG Kampf or Pacioretty ? Pretty obvious Pacioretty could score 20, something Kampf will never do.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Lmao on his worst day Patch is 3 times the player Kampf is, give your head a shake. Pacioretty 65 career GWG's not including playoffs & had more points than Kampf in half as many games last season, Kampf career GWG's 5. In the playoffs when it counts the most, who is getting you that GWG Kampf or Pacioretty ? Pretty obvious Pacioretty could score 20, something Kampf will never do.

Kampf played a lot of defensive situation. Since he's in Toronto, nobody in the NHL had more defensive faceoff than Kampf. Kampf helped to give some kind of break to Matthews/ Jt line by taking a lot of those defensive responsabalities. So if you removing Kampf, you will ask to matthews and JT to take those def3nsive responsabilities and having less offensive opportunity.

So at end giving less offensive opportunity to matthews is much more important and valuable than anything Pacioretty could ever bring to leafs.

Reactions: weems and SeaOfBlue

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kampf played a lot of defensive situation. Since he's in Toronto, nobody in the NHL had more defensive faceoff than Kampf. Kampf helped to give some kind of break to Matthews/ Jt line by taking a lot of those defensive responsabalities. So if you removing Kampf, you will ask to matthews and JT to take those def3nsive responsabilities and having less offensive opportunity.

So at end giving less offensive opportunity to matthews is much more important and valuable than anything Pacioretty could ever bring to leafs.

While all fair, the current structure of the bottom six has hardly proven itself to be untouchable

Reactions: zoA

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Send Kampf to the Devils for a 3rd + 5th
Send Robertson wherever at this point for a player in a similar position (i.e. Tomasino, Kaliyev, Winterton, Krebs) or picks.

Sign Lorentz 1x0.750
Sign Pacioretty 1 x 1.5

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Nylander - Marner
Pacioretty - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar/Holmberg - Lorentz - Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - Liljegen
Benoit - McCabe
Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

Figure out what to do with the return for Robertson depending on what/who it is.

Cowan gets his 9 games with the Leafs and unless he hits it out of the park, returns to London and Team Canada for the WJHC.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I’m guessing this isn’t a player you haven’t watched for a few years?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Versteeg-Kadri-Armstrong

By far our best top 9 before the Matthews era
The thing is that top 9 had way less skill but much more chemistry overall. They weren’t as talented but they just clicked very well and made magic happen. The current top 9 is so talented but they lack chemistry and that’s been their biggest downfall and I don’t think that’s been talked about enough.

Reactions: TMLAM34

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The thing is that top 9 had way less skill but much more chemistry overall. They weren’t as talented but they just clicked very well and made magic happen. The current top 9 is so talented but they lack chemistry and that’s been their biggest downfall and I don’t think that’s been talked about enough.

The coach probably should be the one to stir the soup, and sprinkle in the spices and herbs to make it better.

A new cook is in town, looking forward to the results.

Sometimes there just something missing before it completes the taste.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Roo

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
The coach probably should be the one to stir the soup, and sprinkle in the spices and herbs to make it better.

A new cook is in town, looking forward to the results.

Sometimes there just something missing before it completes the taste.
You might be right about coaching. I always thought having Pat Burns in his prime as coach for these guys could have made a big difference, compared to Keefe.

Reactions: ULF_55

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024

So at end giving less offensive opportunity to matthews is much more important and valuable than anything Pacioretty could ever bring to leafs
Kampf is not Mr. Clutch he is replaceable, at best a fourth line C, Patch if healthy scores 20 to 30 goals & also sees PP time.

Pacioretty Matthews Marner would be a fun line & damn productive. Pacioretty also known for his two way play, based on career accomplishments / stats, & as a former captain adds to the leadership in the dressing room.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Kampf is not Mr. Clutch he is replaceable, at best a fourth line C, Patch if healthy scores 20 to 30 goals & also sees PP time.

Pacioretty Matthews Marner would be a fun line & damn productive. Pacioretty also known for his two way play, based on career accomplishments / stats, & as a former captain adds to the leadership in the dressing room.
you don't need to be mr.clutche to be useful.

We didn't talk about the 29 y/o pacioretty but the 35 version...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's a slow work day here, I got bored...these trades could occur between during the season and during the off-season...I have my own thoughts about this but be kind and give your thoughts.

If you're gonna rip it, I just ask you do it constructively so it's a conversation.

I don't know if BOS let's Frederic hit UFA, he's a pretty unique commodity in the league, toughness but can play.

I'd be surprised if both JT/Marner left

I don't know about defense - it feels like Niemela is probably due to make the roster but if he's not, you could adjust. I really wanted Marcus Pettersson but our LD situation is pretty tight currently. I think that you have offense from all 3 pairs but Benoit is really the only physical guy back there.

1725820165733.png

1725820183895.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's a slow work day here, I got bored...these trades could occur between during the season and during the off-season...I have my own thoughts about this but be kind and give your thoughts.

If you're gonna rip it, I just ask you do it constructively so it's a conversation.

I don't know if BOS let's Frederic hit UFA, he's a pretty unique commodity in the league, toughness but can play.

I'd be surprised if both JT/Marner left

I don't know about defense - it feels like Niemela is probably due to make the roster but if he's not, you could adjust. I really wanted Marcus Pettersson but our LD situation is pretty tight currently. I think that you have offense from all 3 pairs but Benoit is really the only physical guy back there.

View attachment 905822
View attachment 905823

You think this team is better? That forward group is lottery team worthy outside of Matthews and Willy

Reactions: thusk

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You think this team is better? That forward group is lottery team worthy outside of Matthews and Willy

It looks deeper although Cowan / Grebyonkin are total wildcards

JT/Marner make it *look* better but it isn't that good in the playoffs so I don't think I want to extend a disappointing group more.

What would you do?

Reactions: rumman

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It looks deeper although Cowan / Grebyonkin are total wildcards

JT/Marner make it *look* better but it isn't that good in the playoffs so I don't think I want to extend a disappointing group more.

What would you do?

If you making move is to become better not becoming worst. I don't know in wich world becoming worst will make you more dangerous in playoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad