Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I’ve been beating this drum for a while but a cheap acquisition who could fill 3C is Jake Evans.
Great on the PK

Reactions: TMLAM34

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Yes, thanks for the correction. 65 points.

I do believe that I stated he declined... from a 1C, to a 2C... and sorry, 65 points are not awful numbers for a 2C.... no, he's not the All Star, Canadian National Team level 1C he once was... He's just an overpaid 2C.

It would be ideal if we could find a long-term 2C to take over from him eventually, as he slides down to 3C in the next few years, but he's probably got a couple of years as a decent 2C in him.

Are your expectations that he's going to put up 98 points like his winger as a 2C? Is that what you expect out of a 2C? FYI, Sam Bennett put up 41 points, while his wingers put up 72 and 88 points on the year... what a terrible player right?

Who are your replacement 2C's that are so much better, and how do you plan on getting them?
The only good ones available would have to be by trade. Marner is still unsigned so I think it would have to be him.
Linemates don't close that massive of a gap.

Players aren't paid based on team accomplishments in the playoffs.

It's odd how people who are the most dismissive of our star players - who think they suck in the playoffs and we can never win with them no matter what and want them gone - are the ones who claim they represent a "golden opportunity". It's contradictory. Worst in Leafs history is something nobody of this current era will come close to, as we've had some horrible management in our past, but Shanahan/Lou and Shanahan/Treliving are the ones that history will remember as the ones that screwed this era up.

Tavares is still a good 2C. 2C is the least of our problems. We need a 3C, but we seem to have prioritized bottom pairing defensemen, 4th liners, and unnecessary wingers.
Getting back to legitimate cup contender will now probably rely on Tanev and OEL finding hidden magic in their mid-30s, and an unproven goalie tandem excelling.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Well then, I guess MLSE must regret not having being able to do that.

We can never win with them, meaning the 4 of them together, meaning at least one of them should be traded.

Well, you at least got one of them right.

That is your opinion, just like the one I made is my opinion. I hope yours is right, but I think mine will be.

Again, just our different opinion. How would you define legitimate?

It's not magic, it has been there, and they both showed it last year.

When have we actually had one?

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
That's right - top line plays against top pairing, second line against second pair, third line against third pair, and fourth line against ....

Four lines vs three D doesn't match. Also, between home vs away, coaching styles, changes on the fly, and icings, 'easier matchups' isn't as big a thing as some think. Plus, it's been shown pretty conclusively that quality of linemates is more significant than quality of opponents.

One of the popular arguments in favor of Marner is that he's always playing the Eastern champs and Vezina goalies, but I guess Nylander isn't?

And I'm not sure why the problems with the PP is on him, but not the other four. Isn't Marner the QB?

Has Matthews struggled anywhere near as much as Tavares?

Didn't Matty have the best ppg against Boston, with Willy second?
For me it's simply the fact that Marner still hasn't been resigned, whereas the others have. You can't have that much of the cap tied up in 4 forwards, so he's the one who should be traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For me it's simply the fact that Marner still hasn't been resigned, whereas the others have. You can't have that much of the cap tied up in 4 forwards, so he's the one who should be traded.
Cap will be tied to 3 forwards by the time a Marner extension kicks in.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Leafs trade Marner
Seattle trades Dunn, Eberle, Wright,

Leafs trade Nylander
Rangers trade Trouba, Lafreniere

Leafs trade Robertson, Liljegren for future considerations

Lafreniere(2.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Eberle(4.75)
Tavares(11)/Domi(3.75)/Jarnkrok(2)
Knies(1)/Wright(1)/Cowan(1)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35), Holmberg(1)

Dunn(7.5)/Trouba(8)
Rielly(7.5)/Tanev(4.5)
OEL(3.5)/Benoit(1.5)
*Hakanpaa(1.5), McCabe(2)

Stolarz (2.5)
Woll (1)

Total=86.85 (1.15 remaining)
Not having McCabe in the top 6 is a real head scratcher for me.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

At this point last year, Matthews and Nylander hadn’t been extended either. Matthews was late August, Nylander January. I wouldn’t read anything into it.

Reactions: Mckay and ACC1224

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At this point last year, Matthews and Nylander hadn’t been extended either. Matthews was late August, Nylander January. I wouldn’t read anything into it.

I would definitely say there is a difference in tone though. The team publicly said they wanted to sign Matthews and Nylander. Comments about Marner have been much more vague and non-committal.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That's correct on the timing, however unless Marner is willing to sign at hometown discount (which no one sees happening), I can't see any reason to sign him before the end of the regular season and playoffs.

If he is going to get a raise, he is going to have to earn it. That comes from a strong regular season, perhaps one where he shows he can carry a line, followed by a playoff performance we have not seen before. One where his play contributes to us getting further than we have.

If he does those things, then maybe we choose to extend him. If he doesn't, then maybe be he accepts a lower AAV contract.

If neither of those things happen then we trade his cap space for a free agent or two. Ekblad?

I can't see the case for signing him for what HE wants until he has proven more.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would definitely say there is a difference in tone though. The team publicly said they wanted to sign Matthews and Nylander. Comments about Marner have been much more vague and non-committal.
How could there not be? The perception of the team was much more positive after finally winning a round, not the same obviously this year but really things aren't all that much different.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Cap will be tied to 3 forwards by the time a Marner extension kicks in.
Yes, that is true. It will be interesting to see how Berube uses Marner this coming season.

Probably, but it is interesting that Tre (Shanahan) publicly said it was a priority last summer to get them signed, but not Marner this summer. Maybe it's because Shanahan isn't the main guy now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's correct on the timing, however unless Marner is willing to sign at hometown discount (which no one sees happening), I can't see any reason to sign him before the end of the regular season and playoffs.

If he is going to get a raise, he is going to have to earn it. That comes from a strong regular season, perhaps one where he shows he can carry a line, followed by a playoff performance we have not seen before. One where his play contributes to us getting further than we have.

If he does those things, then maybe we choose to extend him. If he doesn't, then maybe be he accepts a lower AAV contract.

If neither of those things happen then we trade his cap space for a free agent or two. Ekblad?

I can't see the case for signing him for what HE wants until he has proven more.

a) We don't know what HE wants.
b) We don't know if there have been discussions.
c) We don't know if management agrees with you, that playoff performance dictates extension and price.

One of the errors made in Nylander's negotiations, was waiting on signing him, and him having a great year.

With Marner, I'd be reaching out, saying all the nice things, but then suggest we aren't going to give a raise, based on the playoff performances... 5 x 10.9 is on the table, NMC from year 2-5. He probably turns that down, but I think that's where you make the first offer. The danger is on two fronts... one, he does have a fantastic playoffs, and then you are looking at $13 mil or something stupid. Two, he doesn't, and then he moves on... at least if you sign him early, you can trade him for the first year in my scenario.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
a) We don't know what HE wants.
b) We don't know if there have been discussions.
c) We don't know if management agrees with you, that playoff performance dictates extension and price.

One of the errors made in Nylander's negotiations, was waiting on signing him, and him having a great year.

With Marner, I'd be reaching out, saying all the nice things, but then suggest we aren't going to give a raise, based on the playoff performances... 5 x 10.9 is on the table, NMC from year 2-5. He probably turns that down, but I think that's where you make the first offer. The danger is on two fronts... one, he does have a fantastic playoffs, and then you are looking at $13 mil or something stupid. Two, he doesn't, and then he moves on... at least if you sign him early, you can trade him for the first year in my scenario.
Well, for a post that started with a bunch of things "we don't know", you certainly responded with a bunch of things "we don't know".

(a) We don't know that the Leafs haven't reached out already. It's reasonable to assume they have put feelers out.
(b) We don't know that Marner would ever consider an offer at less than current.
(c) We also don't know if he would be offended by such an offer.

We DO KNOW that his history is one of not taking a discount and seemingly comparing himself contract wise as above Nylander and below Matthews.

So, if your suggestion is that we sign him early with a year where we can trade him (at a discounted price) I agree that this would be optimal. I have zero reason to believe it would ever happen.

In my scenario, we have him playing for a contract all year, which is a good thing and the worst case scenario (contract wise) is that we have playoff success because of him and we re-sign him and it costs us $500K or $1M more per year than it would have to sign him before the season, or maybe they get closer to the cup and he doesn't demand more...maybe he just wants to come back and finish the job they get close to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad