Votes: 21 55.3%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly, this team needs a Jim Rutherford up top, replacing Shannahan, to make moves that require guts and inbred a culture of no-nonsense within the organization.

Didn't he double down on guys like Boeser and JT Miller despite some really rough team seasons? They made a lot of questionable moves before this past season, but it all came together eventually. It's not like they've very consistent at even making the playoffs...

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Cowan's NHLe (NHL equivalent points from his OHL production) was 46P/82GP this year. McGroarty was 39P/82GP. Cowan is also a year younger. From a purely production standpoint Cowan is more valuable.

Given that Winnipeg is the desperate team here I'd think they won't get the equivalent of Cowan in a deal. I think a deal would have to be centered around Minten+.

Issue is there's still going to be plenty of suitors even if the Jets are over playing their hand

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Does that apply only to Americans? What about Swedes, Russians ad anyone from another country? I guess it would make sense why we targeted a lot more players in those countries in previous drafts except the last 2.
Each tax treaty is specific to one country. Doesn't mean that this stipulation isn't found on other country's tax treaty, but would need to look it up to find out.

Reactions: WillNy29

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
You remember incorrectly. That never happened.
That may be so. All the same, I find it hard to believe that a 60 point scorer would have turned it down had it been offered. I understand that the cap froze and everything, but I wish we had bet on our players and locked them up early, kinda like Buffalo is doing now.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Experts are actual people in the field who are directly involved in the actual contracts and accounting for the actual players. Not people who wrote a theoretical think tank piec

NHL agents. GMs. Players. Accountants with NHL clients and the actual contracts of the players show that no state tax teams have an indisputable advantage.

Again.if there is no state tax advantage. Why are all the no state tax teams getting players to sign for less. Why did Grier, adams,JBB, trotz all say that there is?

Why would they lie?
Why are Americans not signing in Canada for less?

Pointing to one theoretical article and ignoring the words and actions of the actual practicitoners is silly.

Is your argument that NHL players, agents, gms and accountants lying. But you know the real truth? Why don’t you become their accountant?
articled already didn't enjoy taxation and the theory of the perfect tax system when all that means is it prevents you from being double taxed and doesnt prevent you from avoiding tax through "tax planning."

Crowe Soberman aren't "think tanks" writing a theoretic piece lol they're one of the larger firms in north america behind the Big 4. Anyways youre going to continue to beat this drum when literally the tax law has a american residency bonus provision for athletes. not much more I can say to that.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I tend not to believe fans making random claims on the internet without any evidence, especially when it's a year delayed, constantly changing in the details, and contradicts all actual reports at the time.

There were definitely conflicting reports of both Marner wanting to bet on himself AND the 8x8.5M around the same general time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If I remember correctly, Marner was looking for something around 8 * 8 and Dubas declined. If we had locked up 34 and 16 then and there, before signing Tavares much would have been different.
If Marner wasn't signed based on raw production in that one year, then Dubas was even worse than most of us already are willing to admit.

Best to just leave that poster to argue with himself.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Didn't he double down on guys like Boeser and JT Miller despite some really rough team seasons? They made a lot of questionable moves before this past season, but it all came together eventually. It's not like they've very consistent at even making the playoffs...
Fans were willing to give away Boeser and Miller.

It will be interesting to see how they fare next year.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
What's up with Tyler Johnson, is he cooked? Could he be a value add? Right shot C for the bottom 6.. Same with Michael McLeod.

Alex Nylander has to be at least a little bit enticing to try? Obviously doesn't deserve to play with his brother on name alone, but why not get him into the org?

Lots of bargain bin names still out there, but everything's at a stand still. Leafs' have 6 contract slots open, so that is not an issue. It's not like the Marlies are stacked at forward, either. They could use another 3-4 players.

Clearly this means SOMETHINGS cookin' 👀

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What's up with Tyler Johnson, is he cooked? Could he be a value add? Right shot C for the bottom 6.. Same with Michael McLeod.

Alex Nylander has to be at least a little bit enticing to try? Obviously doesn't deserve to play with his brother on name alone, but why not get him into the org?

Lots of bargain bin names still out there, but everything's at a stand still. Leafs' have 6 contract slots open, so that is not an issue. It's not like the Marlies are stacked at forward, either. They could use another 3-4 players.

Clearly this means SOMETHINGS cookin' 👀

Johnson could be of value on a cheap-ish 1 year deal. He's pretty "cooked" but he's a veteran with cup rings. He's fast and works hard, and can give you around 10-15 or so goals in a lesser role. He did well on a bad Chicago team but he does get injured a lot and he's pretty small. He'd be a decent replacement for Gregor.

Nylander for me would be a PTO and see how he does in training camp. But a 1 year deal that is buriable would be more than fine.

Reactions: aingefan

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Johnson could be of value on a cheap-ish 1 year deal. He's pretty "cooked" but he's a veteran with cup rings. He's fast and works hard, and can give you around 10-15 or so goals in a lesser role. He did well on a bad Chicago team but he does get injured a lot and he's pretty small. He'd be a decent replacement for Gregor.

Nylander for me would be a PTO and see how he does in training camp. But a 1 year deal that is buriable would be more than fine.
Nylander put up decent numbers last year but it was as short stint with Columbus and a contract year.
His points came during 5 on 5 play which is at least encouraging.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

JVR

He can score and if our PP sucks he's a great netfront guy we can use to change things up

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
I don't think there's anyone left that we won't hate by the end of the season. Just deck chairs. Rather just give those jobs to Marlies like Steeves and they either run with it or we move on to the next one.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I think it would be a brilliant strategy to have one player every year on a 1 year deal that you trade at the deadline for a 2nd round pick or maybe even a first and then replace that person with an up and coming player that they’ve planned out to take the next step.

Adding draft assets in the top 2-3 rounds would be a great way to fast track the pool of prospects

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ok and? Still lead them to the 3rd round the previous year.
An individual contract is not based on what round your team got to.
Kane was literally their only good offensive threat pretty much his 1st 2 years when he got much more PP time.
Chicago was plenty deep. He was just on a team that got PPs, in an era when PPs were handed out like candy, and he didn't have a brain dead coach.
1 year difference on their contract shouldn't equal us having to pay 2 mil more than he should've got.
A 20.6% bigger contract for 20.8% higher ES production, 25.5% higher PP production, plus PKing and an extra year seems more than reasonable.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

If there was a market for Kampf/Calle to reclaim some picks….and there will be, I’d be very fine rolling the kids in and out of the lineup and signing Johnson.
A fourth line on McMann-Dewar-Johnson would be good for 40 goals while bringing speed and tenacity.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Probably the only way would be a Lily trade if he takes the next step.

Or if Robertson signs, has a hot start and is flipped

If that happens you keep Liljegren no debate and try talking very nicely to Robertson about what an extension would look like

If he's still pissed you trade Robertson for a talented young player who helps now and into the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad