• I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is really no one worthy on the free agent market anymore. Any additions will come via trades. I don't think Kampf is a problem on this team. You need guys like him.

Our issue is overall depth in our 3rd and 4th lines. We need a legitimate 3rd line C and better penalty killers around Kampf.
Replacing Kampf with Holmberg gives the Leafs an additional 1.6M to acquire a 3C.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Replacing Kampf with Holmberg gives the Leafs an additional 1.6M to acquire a 3C.

The most common idea thrown around is just move Kampf and Jarnkrok. Moving out both Kampf and Jarnkrok gives you 3.5 million.... but to fill 2 roster spots, one of which will be at least 775,000. That means, at the absolute most, you get 2,875,000 to replace Kampf at 3C.... which means you aren't really upgrading....

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
There is really no one worthy on the free agent market anymore. Any additions will come via trades. I don't think Kampf is a problem on this team. You need guys like him.

Our issue is overall depth in our 3rd and 4th lines. We need a legitimate 3rd line C and better penalty killers around Kampf.
Kampf is a nice luxury to have, but they need his salary to find a better 3C. Holmberg cannot be relied on for 3C, but he can surely replace Kampf at 4C.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and Roo

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The most common idea thrown around is just move Kampf and Jarnkrok. Moving out both Kampf and Jarnkrok gives you 3.5 million.... but to fill 2 roster spots, one of which will be at least 775,000. That means, at the absolute most, you get 2,875,000 to replace Kampf at 3C.... which means you aren't really upgrading....

Your math doesn’t seem right. Trading Jarnkrok and Kampf is 4.5 million, not 3.5 million. Then yes, if you replaced one with a league min 775k deal and use all the rest on one 3c you could spend 3,725,000 on it

That said, even if we were limited to 2,875,000 I garauntee that’s enough for a much better player. Kampf isn’t even close to worth 2.4 million.

The only wrinkle is who is available to acquire. Can’t move them without having a plan for the money.

Reactions: Roo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Your math doesn’t seem right. Trading Jarnkrok and Kampf is 4.5 million, not 3.5 million. Then yes, if you replaced one with a league min 775k deal and use all the rest on one 3c you could spend 3,725,000 on it

That said, even if we were limited to 2,875,000 I garauntee that’s enough for a much better player. Kampf isn’t even close to worth 2.4 million.

The only wrinkle is who is available to acquire. Can’t move them without having a plan for the money.

Also any guys you bring in need to be able to PK.

Reactions: Sypher04

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

I think if that was the plan it would have made sense to make moves like this around the draft or so, like the other cap moves.

At this point, free agency is mostly tapped out.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
They have 5.8M if they send down Timmins, don't sign Hakanpaa and run:
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Domi
McMann-X-Cowan
Dewar(1.35M)-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Benoit
OEL-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz

Assuming you can find a 3C for 3-3.5M you can actually keep Jarnkrok over Cowan.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Holy crap, when did I get so bad at math? lol

Alex Wennberg signed for 5 million, and he's a 30-35 point player without PP time.

Henrique came at the right price, but he too is a 35 point guy without PP time.

Jack Rosloviv signed for the right price too, but he's not even a capable centre anymore.

Sean Monahan signed for 5 million. He scored 36 points at even strength last year.

Absolutely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Domi
McMann-X-Cowan

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Benoit
OEL-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz

Assuming you can find a 3C for 3-3.5M you can actually keep Jarnkrok over Cowan.

You’re missing Marner. If he wasn’t in the picture we’d either have a lot more cap space or other forwards in the mix

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Domi
McMann-X-Cowan

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Benoit
OEL-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz

Assuming you don't carry any extra players all season, that's accurate.

Who's on the PK?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Holy crap, when did I get so bad math? lol

Alex Wennberg signed for 5 million, and he's a 30-35 point player without PP time.

Henrique came at the right price, but he too is a 35 point guy without PP time.

Jack Rosloviv signed for the right price too, but he's not even a capable centre anymore.

Sean Monahan signed for 5 million. He scored 36 points at even strength last year.

Absolutely.

Ideally we’re getting a guy already locked into a contract at a better rate.

Also any guys you bring in need to be able to PK.

100%.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think if that was the plan it would have made sense to make moves like this around the draft or so, like the other cap moves.

At this point, free agency is mostly tapped out.

I agree. I’d have liked for it to happen then. They seemed to have their focus on the D. Maybe they already have potential trade targets they like for those roles.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kampf should be traded purely because he’s redundant and makes too much. He doesn’t do anything that Holmberg and Dewar can’t do. While I’d rather have dealt him weeks ago (and Jarnkrok for that matter) to take a run at a top six winger or a higher-end defenseman than OEL, trading him now is still worthwhile. Better late than never.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kampf should be traded purely because he’s redundant and makes too much. He doesn’t do anything that Holmberg and Dewar can’t do. While I’d rather have dealt him weeks ago (and Jarnkrok for that matter) to take a run at a top six winger or a higher-end defenseman than OEL, trading him now is still worthwhile. Better late than never.

Kampf is a selke-level defensive center and PKer. Neither Holmberg nor Dewar do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad