Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Plenty of talk around here and the league. He's probably the next best thing after losing out of Skinner. He's got big warts but there's no denying he's skilled and a fast skater. Not sure he's a great fit for what the Leafs need, so it would have to be fairly cheap to be worth it. He's also another right handed RW and the Leafs are a lot more thin on the left.
JVR
Lefty, can give you a good PP option if things aren't going well and was surprisingly productive last season

I didn't hate him during the playoffs either

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
JVR
Lefty, can give you a good PP option if things aren't going well and was surprisingly productive last season

I didn't hate him during the playoffs either

He'd probably love another shot in TO. If he's dirt cheap for another kick at the can, he wouldn't be a bad option. Doesn't seem like he was very liked in Boston though.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We're way to conservative

Only willing to trade 3 guys? Come on open it up and see what people are willing to offer

You never know, maybe somebody else out there is willing to take a bit of a risk to?

He'd probably love another shot in TO. If he's dirt cheap for another kick at the can, he wouldn't be a bad option. Doesn't seem like he was very liked in Boston though.
He not physical for a big guy, a lot of people don't like that but I'll take it if he can kick in some cheap offense

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
at least he gets a like potential same aged player/prospect ...with his limited icetime and lower quality linemates he scored at a much higher pace than Bertuzzi, and should return a 1st (if pick only) based on his cost and potential.
I think you must be trying to gaslight me.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We're way to conservative

Only willing to trade 3 guys? Come on open it up and see what people are willing to offer

You never know, maybe somebody else out there is willing to take a bit of a risk to?

He not physical for a big guy, a lot of people don't like that but I'll take it if he can kick in some cheap offense

Yea...so we went from everything is on the table to running it back and changing the supporting cast again.

Oh boy, I haven't seen this before, I wonder how it will go?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yea...so we went from everything is on the table to running it back and changing the supporting cast again.

Oh boy, I haven't seen this before, I wonder how it will go?

They aren't even willing to do that

A full roster and your only willing to open up 3 guys for a trade? We're not even willing to trade most of the supporting cast

What have any of these guys done that makes them untouchable? NTC I can understand but why isn't everything on the table?

It's not like our results are so good we should be afraid of being bold and making some changes

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

A full roster and your only willing to open up 3 guys for a trade? We're not even willing to trade most of the supporting cast

What have any of these guys done that makes them untouchable? NTC I can understand but why isn't everything on the table?

It's not like our results are so good we should be afraid of being bold and making some changes

Tampa has had great results a couple years ago so they took dynamite to it this off-season.

We've tried nothing new but seemingly have no good ideas.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t see how this helped the Oilers. Was it a cap play?
Seems like a steal for the Oilers. Savoie has not failed to live up to his draft position, he really hasn't had a chance yet. McLeod seems like he is a known quantity and Tullio kind of stalled with the Condors. Sabres win the deal in 2024 but Savoie still has a top 6 upside. Guess the Sabres didn't want Kampf :)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

That all sounds good but who can they even trade? The core all have NMCs and aren’t going to waive.
Beyond that everyone else is too cheap or have no trade value.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That all sounds good but who can they even trade? The core all have NMCs and aren’t going to waive.
Beyond that everyone else is too cheap or have no trade value.

Your allowed to listen, even on guys you probably won't move

Maybe somebody sees something in one of your guys and makes a fantastic offer for them?

Nobody on our roster is so good we shouldn't be casting a line put there and seeing what bites

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Your allowed to listen, even on guys you probably won't move

Maybe somebody sees something in one of your guys and makes a fantastic offer for them?

Nobody on our roster is so good we shouldn't be casting a line put there and seeing what bites
I don’t think anyone is saying they aren’t willing to listen. Beyond that there is no one on the roster that really moves the needle.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and Rielly have trade protection.
Domi, Tanev, OEL, and Hakanpaa just signed and aren’t going anywhere.

McCabe, Woll , and Knies aren’t going anywhere because of their cap hits unless we and blown away.
No one is taking Timmins or Reeves.

So what is left that you are mad they aren’t shopping right now? Beniot, McMann and Holmberg? None of those guys make enough that moving them out help our cap situation or are attractive enough as trade assets to bring a return that would help much.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Numerous videos of guys saying how much they loved playing for Berube. I think this is going to make a bigger impact to the team and culture than most are expecting

I do hope they get better coaching on their PK and PP as well and things are looking good

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don’t think anyone is saying they aren’t willing to listen. Beyond that there is no one on the roster that really moves the needle.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and Rielly have trade protection.
Domi, Tanev, OEL, and Hakanpaa just signed and aren’t going anywhere.

McCabe, Woll , and Knies aren’t going anywhere because of their cap hits unless we and blown away.
No one is taking Timmins or Reeves.

So what is left that you are mad they aren’t shopping right now? Beniot, McMann and Holmberg? None of those guys make enough that moving them out help our cap situation or are attractive enough as trade assets to bring a return that would help much.

Why aren't McCabe, Woll and Knies being listened on? It's only been reported we are willing to trade Jarnkrok, Kampf and Liljegren

You don't have to trade then but there's no reason not to at least listen on them, there valuable so maybe somebody is willing to step up and make trading one worthwhile

You aren't going to know that if we continue doing business like this, same old thinking same old results

Also I haven't heard weather any of those guys with N/M were even asked to waive

I'm through making excuses for this inactive clown show, other teams make trades why in the hell can't we do it?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
1.15M per for 3 years for Dewar.

3rd year lowers the AAV to an amount that can buried without penalty at any time. Good depth option even if he slides to the Marlies. But, you don't want to do too much damage to the cap if he is more of a fringe talent.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why aren't McCabe, Woll and Knies being listened on? It's only been reported we are willing to trade Jarnkrok, Kampf and Liljegren

You don't have to trade then but there's no reason not to at least listen on them, there valuable so maybe somebody is willing to step up and make trading one worthwhile

You aren't going to know that if we continue doing business like this, same old thinking same old results

Also I haven't heard weather any of those guys with N/M were even asked to waive

I'm through making excuses for this inactive clown show, other teams make trades why in the hell can't we do it?
Again. No one is saying we aren’t willing to listen on those guys. You seem to be reading into this report more than is there.
I’m sure if someone called and offered us something that would help now for those players they would listen.

But realistically there probably isn’t a trade for them that make sense.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Seems like a steal for the Oilers. Savoie has not failed to live up to his draft position, he really hasn't had a chance yet. McLeod seems like he is a known quantity and Tullio kind of stalled with the Condors. Sabres win the deal in 2024 but Savoie still has a top 6 upside. Guess the Sabres didn't want Kampf :)
I don't know Savoie that well but seems pretty similar to us trading Cowan for McLeod - similar D1's, dobber projections. There would be violence.

Reactions: aingefan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Sounds from HW that Easton is getting a good look, team thinks he’s very close.
Internals might be the way to go.
I'd keep Cowan away and use him on ELC for 3 yrs in the last 3 years of Matthews' contract so we get a chance to really load up and avoid a scenario when he is RFA looking for an increase in the last year of Matthews' deal.

We really gotta be strategic!

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad