Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Since the centre market it thin, I’d be looking at giving Holmberg runway this season at 3C and give him some supporting wingers.

I think Holmberg could be a good PKer if given time. Would make a nice Jarnkrok replacement if they can move him
Unless there is a trade which is still likely... I think we'll see internal growth with some young forwards and I'm liking that idea too.

Leafs brass were just saying yesterday Cowan looks good and they'll give him some leash in pre season forsure. A few other young guys could also surprise.

I wouldn't be shocked if they stuck around. Minten did last year.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Honestly dont see us doing much anymore other than maybe dumping Kampf to the highest bidder (if there is any) and maybe signing Sammy Blais to a 1yr/775 AAV contract

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Honestly dont see us doing much anymore other than maybe dumping Kampf to the highest bidder (if there is any) and maybe signing Sammy Blais to a 1yr/775 AAV contract
Dumping Kampf, and running who as our C's? We just don't have the C depth to move Kampf at this point, and there aren't any replacements available as UFA's.

Barring a trade where we bring in some sort of upgrade, it is unlikely that Kampf is moved this year.

Is the Hakanpaa signing official yet?
No

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dumping Kampf, and running who as our C's? We just don't have the C depth to move Kampf at this point, and there aren't any replacements available as UFA's.

Barring a trade where we bring in some sort of upgrade, it is unlikely that Kampf is moved this year.

No
Connor Dewar is a C and so is Pontus Holmberg. Minten can also slot in if he has a good training camp. So we have (Mathews, tavares, Domi, Dewar, Holmberg and possible Minten). Thats more than enough

Kampf's salary needs to be offloaded as it makes no sense to have such a high paying 4th liner on a cap-strapped team.

Not to mention he's ass in all regards outside of winning faceoffs. Way too much money for just one attribute

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Connor Dewar is a C and so is Pontus Holmberg. Minten can also slot in if he has a good training camp. So we have (Mathews, tavares, Domi, Dewar, Holmberg and possible Minten). Thats more than enough

Kampf's salary needs to be offloaded as it makes no sense to have such a high paying 4th liner on a cap-strapped team.

Not to mention he's ass in all regards outside of winning faceoffs. Way too much money for just one attribute

Domi more than likely ends up on Matthews wing. Minten likely is a Marlie. I like Holmberg, but he really hasn't seized the opportunity to be a full time C yet... even so... we are staring at Matthews Tavares Holmberg Kampf as is.

Kampf's salary needs to be unloaded for what exactly? Kampf might not be great, but he's been a better NHL C than Dewar and Holmberg so far. So we are going to downgrade to have empty unused cap space?

So you want to run Matthews Tavares Holmberg Dewar? I mean, that's not great...

This seems like a desire to make a move, more than trying to make the team better... and this would make us worse, just to have unused cap space.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Domi more than likely ends up on Matthews wing. Minten likely is a Marlie. I like Holmberg, but he really hasn't seized the opportunity to be a full time C yet... even so... we are staring at Matthews Tavares Holmberg Kampf as is.

Kampf's salary needs to be unloaded for what exactly? Kampf might not be great, but he's been a better NHL C than Dewar and Holmberg so far. So we are going to downgrade to have empty unused cap space?

This seems like a desire to make a move, more than trying to make the team better... and this would make us worse, just to have unused cap space.
I think moving Kampf only makes sense if we're clearing cap space for a better #3 C i.e Ross Colton. Matthews-Tavares-Colton-Holmberg would be elite down the middle.

btw off topic but this thread has 101 k views. Absolutely wild.

Reactions: aingefan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I will also say, Kampf generally performs decently in the playoffs. He's gotten some pretty hard matchups but still been a noticeable presence, and the fourth line with him was quite good for most of the Bruins series. He was also one of the only guys who showed up against Florida last year, he outplayed our big guns lol.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think moving Kampf only makes sense if we're clearing cap space for a better #3 C i.e Ross Colton. Matthews-Tavares-Colton-Holmberg would be elite down the middle.

btw off topic but this thread has 101 k views. Absolutely wild.

Exactly.. if we had an upgrade coming, sure... but then Colorado isn't trading Colton either... they don't have enough NHL C's either.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's shown a lot of growth over the last few years. He's greasy, he's got some skill and he plays a smart game. He's a little vanilla and he isn't the fastest but he's solid all around. No reason he can't improve another step as well. He should be the favourite for the role unless Treliving can pull off a pretty good trade.
FWIW, Swedish fans loved Holmberg at the WHC this year, they had a lot of good things to say.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I keep hearing people talk about Ross Colton. Are there rumors he is available?

Like many I think we need to move off of Kampf and Jarnkrok. Who are some cheap, and likely available players we could target for bottom 6 roles? Any decent UFA options left?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Like many I think we need to move off of Kampf and Jarnkrok. Who are some cheap, and likely available players we could target for bottom 6 roles? Any decent UFA options left?
Some of the talking heads listed Colton as potentially being available. Colorado is tight to the cap, and maybe has Landeskog and Nichushkin coming back. So someone has to go. But, they are very short on C's, so it would seem more likely to me, that they'd move a winger. Colton's NTC kicked in on July 1st, so if they were going to move him, it probably would have been before that restriction.

There isn't much left in UFA. Daniel Sprong, Some people have mentioned Kubalik...

Reactions: Sypher04

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Since the centre market it thin, I’d be looking at giving Holmberg runway this season at 3C and give him some supporting wingers.

I think Holmberg could be a good PKer if given time. Would make a nice Jarnkrok replacement if they can move him
I've felt for a while that the Leafs should leave that Holmberg-Nylander combo together and try a left winger that isn't Calle Jarnkrok, maybe Knies for a chance of pace.

Domi - Matthews - ?
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Holmberg - Nylander

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Some of the talking heads listed Colton as potentially being available. Colorado is tight to the cap, and maybe has Landeskog and Nichushkin coming back. So someone has to go. But, they are very short on C's, so it would seem more likely to me, that they'd move a winger. Colton's NTC kicked in on July 1st, so if they were going to move him, it probably would have been before that restriction.

There isn't much left in UFA. Daniel Sprong, Some people have mentioned Kubalik...

Pretty much.

For me the only real option is Pacioretty assuming he's healthy, but there's been zero smoke about him. The rest of the players are all fairly one dimensional and I don't know if they add much that we already don't have. Kubalik on a very cheap deal could work though but it has to be around 1M at most because he's been struggling badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

When you look at forward contracts, Kampf is 6th on the team. Who in the heck pays their 4C top 6 money?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s gonna be fascinating to see what we do with all the young players we have that haven’t quite solidified their precise spots in the line up or are just getting their first real crack at the NHL:

McMann, Holmberg, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten

Fwiw, Wickenheiser said at development camp that Cowan is ‘very close’ to NHL ready.

Reactions: Rocker13

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It’s gonna be fascinating to see what we do with all the young players we have that haven’t quite solidified their precise spots in the line up or are just getting their first real crack at the NHL:

McMann, Holmberg, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten

Fwiw, Wickenheiser said at development camp that Cowan is ‘very close’ to NHL ready.
Good, they can use him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
When you look at forward contracts, Kampf is 6th on the team. Who in the heck pays their 4C top 6 money?

Kampf is overpaid for sure. $2.4 million is NOT top 6 money though... just he happens to be our 6th highest paid forward... You get rid of him... then Jarnkrok becomes the sixth highest paid... but that's not top 6 money either.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kampf is overpaid for sure. $2.4 million is NOT top 6 money though... just he happens to be our 6th highest paid forward... You get rid of him... then Jarnkrok becomes the sixth highest paid... but that's not top 6 money either.

The obvious solution is to get rid of both then :P

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm really wondering if Holmberg is ready for 3C. He's played pretty well on 4th line, but can he be a factor on the 3rd?
There have been moments you watch him, and you think yes.. he can play that role... and then other times, when he just doesn't seem to have it. His game seems to be a bit too passive at times... both offensively and defensively.

The obvious solution is to get rid of both then :P
Sure... then someone will claim Reaves is being paid top 6 money. :laugh:

Reactions: Duffman955

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There have been moments you watch him, and you think yes.. he can play that role... and then other times, when he just doesn't seem to have it. His game seems to be a bit too passive at times... both offensively and defensively.

Here’s hoping Berube can bring more consistency and aggression out of him.

Sure... then someone will claim Reaves is being paid top 6 money. :laugh:

Okay twist my arm. Reaves can go as well lol

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad