Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I like Tanev, I would have preferred just going to 6M on Roy and I know why they chose OEL, for some offense from the blueline but Zadorov would also have been preferable, you have more tread on the tires with both those players.

Rielly-Roy
Zadorov-McCabe
Benoit-X

Gustafsson or Ghost would have been good at the X spot

Move Liljegren's 3M

I'm not the GM though but I struggle to see how we'd beat Boston, they added Zadorov/Lindholm, we changed none of our top guys that couldn't get the job done last year.
We changed our coach which is a huge plus

Reactions: weems and ACC1224

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Involving Minten in any Colton deal is insane, there’s no way Tre would do that.

I suggested to proposals, Jarnkrok straight up for Colton or Robertson + Timmins for Colton. I think both deals work good for both sides.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not sure how reliable but apparently the Hakanpaa contract wasn't registered either. At this point, it's likely Leafs changed their minds based on his medical stuff.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It helps but the amount of people saying "Maybe Berube can get more out of..." - how many guys is that realistically going to happen with? He's not a miracle worker and some guys won't actually jive with him either.
Berube will get more out of the team overall, more so than just individual players.
How they play in the regular season needs to change so the jump to playoff style hockey isn't such a leap for them.

Reactions: Rocker13 and Buds17

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not overly concerned about the loss of of Bertuzzi because the Leafs have Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson and all scored at least 14 goals last season and I think they can all hit 20 next year assuming they all come out of camp healthy.

And yes I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he also has no leverage so f*** him.

But if they do decide to trade him there are still some interesting forward options still available.

Dominik Kubalik didn't go well in Ottawa but scored 30 in Chicago and 20 in Detroit plus 17 goals in the shortened 56 game season

Daniel Sprong 18 goals last season 20 the year before and he did it in limited icetime.

Vrana, there is just so much talent with Vrana.

Roslovic, Roslovic can #lay center which allows Domi to move to the wing and solve the top 6 winger issue.
Sprong's 0.57ppg came on twelve minutes per game.
Twelve.

NickRob signed (if/when) and Greb/Cowan might make it a moot point though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Berube will get more out of the team overall, more so than just individual players.
How they play in the regular season needs to change so the jump to playoff style hockey isn't such a leap for them.

I know he likes to play a heavy game like the Kings / Blues teams when they won the cup.

Blues have been adding guys like Faksa, Joseph and Texier...we haven't really made changes to the forward group.

Special teams were a giant let down in the last year but this roster still feels incomplete. It is wild to me that a guy like Tree made some blockbuster moves in Calgary and he hasn't really made a move of note to date.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Seems like the Leafs balked at the Hakanpaa injury? Wonder if they look at Sutter, Kylington ,Klingberg or Schultz as a replacement. I would also take a flyer on Boqvist, former 8th overall pick whose only 23.

I would be Perfectly fine using Tyler Johnson as Kampf replacement at league min and using the savings to upgrade at forward. Doesn't seem like there's anything out there in free agency that's going to move the needle, Pacioretty, Sprong and that's it.

It seems like if Toronto wants a impactful upgrade on forward, it would be by trade.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It’s an understated point for some reason, but the Leafs just added two cup champs from a rival, and two guys from the WCF final.
Tyler Johnson has some playoff pedigree and might be a nice depth addition for both wings. Not huge, but pesky and still okay production on bad teams the past few years.

Reactions: Rude Dog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like the Leafs balked at the Hakanpaa injury? Wonder if they look at Sutter, Kylington ,Klingberg or Schultz as a replacement. I would also take a flyer on Boqvist, former 8th overall pick whose only 23.

I would be Perfectly fine using Tyler Johnson as Kampf replacement at league min and using the savings to upgrade at forward. Doesn't seem like there's anything out there in free agency that's going to move the needle, Pacioretty, Sprong and that's it.

It seems like if Toronto wants a impactful upgrade on forward, it would be by trade.

Johnson is cooked, injury prone as hell and not able to do what Kampf does.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If we really are backing out of the Hakanpaa deal I hope the play is to let Mermis/Myers/Mattinen battle for the 7 spot. It worked well with Benoit last year (Lagesson was decent as well) and that 725k opens up some options up front.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-JT-Marner
Jarncrok-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar (1m)-Kampf-Blais (800k)
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
M/M/M

980k in cap space to accrue for the deadline / carry a 23rd man when we need. More if Jarncrok is traded and Robertson is in that LW spot for 1-1.5. Less if Jarn and Robby are packaged for a better 3C/3LW.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, what’s the deal on Boqvist?
Draft pedigree, RH, 23. Is he that bad defensively?
Ps, jinx on TJ.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we really are backing out of the Hakanpaa deal I hope the play is to let Mermis/Myers/Mattinen battle for the 7 spot. It worked well with Benoit last year (Lagesson was decent as well) and that 725k opens up some options up front.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-JT-Marner
Jarncrok-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar (1m)-Kampf-Blais
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
M/M/M

980k in cap space to accrue for the deadline / carry a 23rd man when we need. More if Jarncrok is traded and Robertson is in that LW spot for 1-1.5. Less if Jarn and Robby are packaged for a better 3C/3LW.

I think we'll see it announced in due time but it is a bit weird. More or less what I expect if it falls through. They don't really have much of a choice anyway.

Rifai and Kokkonen are 2 that need to get a good look. They are younger and with more upside. They need to prioritize them. Rifai in particular is a feisty guy. And I think we also underrate Timmins quite a bit and he's still around for now. Not sure why'd we want to keep journeymen AHLers over them unless they really shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Boqvist is a decent bet for a team like Florida, he will be cheap and you never know how Boqvist will look like on a team that isn't a lottery team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah I saw that after I made the post, regardless like I said I have full confidence that assuming they stay Healthy, Knies, Robertson and Bobby Mac can all hit 20 goals.

I mean they hit 15, 15 and 14 goals last year and two of them did it in 56 games so assuming they all come out of camp healthy I don't think 20 goals is a stretch.

And I know Nick Robertson doesn't want to be here but he's Nick Robertson he has no leverage so f*** him what happens with Robertson will be Toronto's call not his.

I would still like to Jarnkrok traded and either Kubalik or Sprong brought in though
Sprong has two years of 40 points +. His ask is likely beyond what we can pay. I'm thinking he's looking at $3-4 million... or at least hoping for it. He's last man standing, which is both good and bad for him.... I don't think we can really afford Sprong, if his ask is at the higher end. Sure, we could afford what Jarnkrok is getting, and then move Jarnkrok, but I don't think that is competitive.

1. Trade Kampf for nothing/pick
2. Trade Robertson+Minten for Ross Colton.

Knies--Colton--Janrkork would be a fantastic 3rd line capable of 50 goals.

View attachment 892185
Note* Can only carry one of Reaves/Hakanpaa at a time. But Hakanpaa might be on LTIR.

Colorado is short Centers without trading one away. No chance they trade Colton IMO.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I think we'll see it announced in due time but it is a bit weird. More or less what I expect if it falls through. They don't really have much of a choice anyway.

Rifai and Kokkonen are 2 that need to get a good look. They are younger and with more upside. They need to prioritize them. Rifai in particular is a feisty guy. And I think we also underrate Timmins quite a bit and he's still around for now. Not sure why'd we want to keep journeymen AHLers over them unless they really shine.
I dont think we underrate him enough, he has zero clue how to play defense, and even his passing was very poor last season.
he should be unloaded or buried in the AHL.

Reactions: Captain34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I dont think we underrate him enough, he has zero clue how to play defense, and even his passing was very poor last season.
he should be unloaded or buried in the AHL.

He's still capable and and shown NHL quality. He probably should be given a shot somewhere else with a clearer path but without much value, it's not gonna happen. Timmins' biggest issue is staying healthy, which is a theme with a few of our players. He looked fantastic in training camp last year.

And while not impossible, expecting someone like Myers or Mattinen to come in and do better is not something I would be very optimistic about.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

If Kokkonen shows equally yeah he should get priority as a prospect, but as much as I liked Rifai in his limited action last year he's the same age as Mattinen, only a year younger than Myers. Definitely should be included in the 775k group of depth, but he's classed as one of them rather than as a prospect IMO.

Timmins- I'm not sure I like what he does to the dpairs if he slots in. Provides some puckmoving but really needs to be sheltered- I'm not sure if he's worth the extra cap over the 775-850 guys. If we have it sure, let the best man win- but I don't think it's a given that he will be that, and I don't think it's a priority to set aside 1.1m for the 7D spot to enable him. Between him an Reaves thats 2.45 on day 1 extra skaters

Reactions: SprDaVE

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Johnson is cooked, injury prone as hell and not able to do what Kampf does.
The reason we want a new 3C is cause Kampf is a black hole offensively. What he brings defensively doesn't make up for what he's missing offensively. What other 3C do you think Toronto can get for under 2.4m to save money for other upgrades forward wise.

Toronto has two options, trade Kampf and go cheap route on 3C like Johnson to try upgrade the wingers. Or Trade Kampf and add more salary in 3C that helps the offence. (Feels like centers are at a premium, especially in free agency).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Noting... there really aren't any C's, that are worth a damn, left in free agency. I think we are stuck with what we have.

""

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Kokkonen shows equally yeah he should get priority as a prospect, but as much as I liked Rifai in his limited action last year he's the same age as Mattinen, only a year younger than Myers. Definitely should be included in the 775k group of depth, but he's classed as one of them rather than as a prospect IMO.

Timmins- I'm not sure I like what he does to the dpairs if he slots in. Provides some puckmoving but really needs to be sheltered- I'm not sure if he's worth the extra cap over the 775-850 guys. If we have it sure, let the best man win- but I don't think it's a given that he will be that, and I don't think it's a priority to set aside 1.1m for the 7D spot to enable him. Between him an Reaves thats 2.45 on day 1 extra skaters

That's fair. Overall I just don't think the depth pieces signed are going to be able to push out what we currently have but we'll see. I'm a fan of Rifai so I value him a lot higher. Timmins showed to be pretty good before obviously having to catch up to being injured for most of the season.

I could see Pittsburgh having a decent amount of interest here for Timmins though. They only have 2 RD, zero prospects or young players as far as I know. Dubas with the obvious connection there.

Reactions: 4thline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad