Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
my guess is dallas wasnt willing to re-up Tanev at the cap hit and term he got with the Leafs. Leafs offered more term to entire Tanev with fully front loaded signing bonuses.

That said, I am really scared of Tanev signing given his injury history and age. hopefully he doesn't nosedive like brodie and gives us at least a couple good years
My take on the Tanev deal is this… we definitely weren’t the first team on his list. But he was definitely the first player on Tre’s list. We had to make it compelling for him to come over options like Dal and Van, thus the TCV. He is 100% going to fall off given his age. But I think the leafs see this as an opportunity to get 3-4 good years out of it and then LTIR him. It’s a bit of a different situation from Brodie. Brodie knew his leafs deal wasn’t going to be his last. His play in Y1 of his deal is a 180 from his last year (unplayable). Tanev knows this is his last deal, and like most players who are at the end, they don’t want to get embarrassed out there. This is just my opinion/read, certainly not claiming this as fact.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

I do like Tanev signing even if his age represents some risk as is his injury history.

I would have preferred we went after Zadarov over OEL (even if we overpaid) to give this team some added toughness when playoff rolls around.

Boston’s dcorp will be very physical and punishing and that is a scary thought.
Is that you Mitch, Willie, Matty?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting that Tre conservatively signed 1 year deals on some bounce back types like Domi, Bert, and Klingberg

Yet this year he’s gone opposite and thrown term out the window.
I think he was using last season as an evaluation year, hence the short term deals.

Reactions: Sypher04

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
there were rumours that they did shop nylnader around didn't like what was offered so signed him that means marner now is the odd man out and he has nmc so we will what becomes of 2025-2026 season
I think they are going to re-sign Marner and depend on Tavares coming back cheaper or not at all to for the cap space to make further moves.
Shanny has shown no willingness to move off this core and I don’t think that is going to change

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Interesting that Tre conservatively signed 1 year deals on some bounce back types like Domi, Bert, and Klingberg

Yet this year he’s gone opposite and thrown term out the window.

OEL and Tanev are a lot older than Domi and Bert too.
Didnt we see a lot of 1 year deals league wide as players were anticipating the rising cap and wanted another chance on the market for a longer term richer deal?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

I do like Tanev signing even if his age represents some risk as is his injury history.

I would have preferred we went after Zadarov over OEL (even if we overpaid) to give this team some added toughness when playoff rolls around.

They’re going to destroy Marner, or make him play scared once again, also Styles had better keep his head up on those elite zone entries……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
there were rumours that they did shop nylnader around didn't like what was offered so signed him that means marner now is the odd man out and he has nmc so we will what becomes of 2025-2026 season
What idiot decides they want to move on from a player and because they can’t get the return they want they decide to resign him to a ridiculous contract? Stupid stupid stupid……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think he was using last season as an evaluation year, hence the short term deals.
If anything this year is more important to have short term deals, then when the 22mil from letting Marner and JT becomes available you don’t have boat anchors occupying the D core you can rebuild with said money, might work out though if Tanev, OEL, and the Giant Finn get injured……….

Reactions: PromisedLand

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
OEL and Tanev are a lot older than Domi and Bert too.
Wait until Tre signs Tavares $3mx8.

What idiot decides they want to move on from a player and because they can’t get the return they want they decide to resign him to a ridiculous contract? Stupid stupid stupid……….
They got burned by the Kadri trade and are gun shy. What is ironic is that Kadri is the type of player this team has been missing since Dubas traded him. Marner, not so much in the playoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

Zadarov isn't great at moving the puck, one of our problems in the playoffs. OEL is good at moving the puck out of the zone. Between McCabe, Benoit and maybe Hakanpaa, we have the physicality take care of in the top seven. We also have some physicality in the depths too, Myers, Webber,

I get the desire to have Zadarov, but that's a lot to pay for a guy who should be third pairing material.... even if it's really good third pairing.

Reactions: Rocker13

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wait until Tre signs Tavares $3mx8.

They got burned by the Kadri trade and are gun shy. What is ironic is that Kadri is the type of player this team has been missing since Dubas traded him. Marner, not so much in the playoffs.

Different management so not sure how that’s relevant. I don’t think this has literally anything to do with Kadri at all, people are just addicted to bringing him up despite his utter irrelevance to our current situation

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Different management so not sure how that’s relevant. I don’t think this has literally anything to do with Kadri at all, people are just addicted to bringing him up despite his utter irrelevance to our current situation
You think it was Dubas that decided they had to move on from Kadri? Dubas was handed the task of trading Kadri. I'm guessing the orders came from the same management team, led by Shanny and it is the same ownership who most likely does not want to be embarrassed again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad