Speculation: Remaining UFA goalies

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Surprised by Lankinen as well. Did he lose out on goalie musical chairs?

I think there's a point in the "goalie musical chairs" game, where a guy like Lankinen might be better served just waiting it out. A chair will open up soon enough, probably even before the season starts. So he can pick a spot where a team is either waiting to rearrange some things trade/cap-wise, or he can vulture in to a spot where a goaltender goes down in camp or early season. Whatever it may be. And end up with more $$$ and playing time than just settling for what was presumably out there for offers right now.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Andersen struggled in the playoffs after having been out for most of the season. As a team the goal tending helped them to one of their top 5 finishes in the history of the franchise. How did that "not work out for them"

Sounds eerily like the Devils two years ago. Goaltending (and Pesce's absence) were the biggest factors in the Hurricanes losing to the Rangers.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I suspect that is exactly what happened. He has been solid for the Preds and probably the team wanted him back. But he probably wanted a little more term or opportunity so wanted to check out the July 1 market. Except with that, the Preds couldn’t afford to wait, they had to put other offers out there in case Lankinen moved on. And Wedgewood took one of those offers.

Things move fast on July 1. Lankinen should be playing in the league, ideally in his old spot with the Preds, but I guess he/his agent misjudged how much time they might have had to shop around or mull offers? :dunno:
Preds needed someone who would take a buriable league minimum deal in case Askarov is good enough in camp to stay as Saros backup. Lanky wants and deserves to be a full time backup with a better contract. He would have been a great fit as a 1B even but I'm guessing most teams allocated their cap elsewhere and took cheaper options or are waiting to see if their prospect can cut it at the NHL level

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Who even needs a goalie?

Anaheim DucksJohn GibsonLukas DostalCalle ClangTomas SuchanekDamian ClaraVyacheslav Buteyets
Boston BruinsJeremy SwaymanJoonas KorpisaloMichael DiPietroBrandon Bussi
Buffalo SabresUkko-Pekka LuukkonenDevon LeviJames ReimerFelix Sandstrom
Calgary FlamesDaniel VladarDustin WolfDevin CooleyWaltteri Ignatjew
Carolina HurricanesFrederik AndersenPyotr KochetkovSpencer MartinYaniv PeretsRuslan Khazheyev
Chicago BlackhawksPetr MrazekLaurent BrossoitArvid SoderblomDrew Commesso
Colorado AvalancheAlexandar GeorgievJustus AnnunenTrent Miner
Columbus Blue JacketsElvis MerzlikinsDaniil TarasovJet GreavesNolan Lalonde
Dallas StarsJake OettingerCasey DeSmithRemi PoirierBen Kraws
Detroit Red WingsVille HussoAlex LyonCam TalbotJack CampbellSebastian CossaAlexander GageCarter Gylander
Edmonton OilersStuart SkinnerCalvin PickardCollin DeliaOlivier RodrigueConnor Ungar
Florida PanthersSergei BobrovskySpencer KnightChris DriedgerMack GuzdaCooper Black
Los Angeles KingsDarcy KuemperDavid RittichPheonix CopleyErik Portillo
Minnesota WildFilip GustavssonMarc-Andre
Fleury
Troy GrosenickJesper WallstedtSamuel Hlavaj
Montreal CanadiensSamuel
Montembeault
Cayden PrimeauConnor HughesJakub Dobes(+Carey Price+)
Nashville PredatorsJuuse SarosScott WedgewoodYaroslav AskarovMatt Murray
New Jersey DevilsJacob MarkstromJake AllenNico DawsIsaac PoulterJakub MalekTyler Brennan
New York IslandersIlya SorokinSemyon VarlamovMarcus HogbergJakub SkarekHenrik TikkanenTristan Lennox
New York RangersIgor ShesterkinJonathan QuickLouis DomingueDylan GarandTalyn BoykoHugo Ollas
Ottawa SenatorsLinus UllmarkAnton ForsbergMads SogaardKevin MandoleseLeevi Merilainen
Philadelphia FlyersSamuel ErssonIvan FedotovCal PetersonAleksei KolosovCarson Bjarnason
Pittsburgh PenguinsTristan JarryAlex NedeljkovicJoel BlomqvistFilip LarssonTaylor Gauthier
San Jose SharksMacKenzie BlackwoodVitek VanecekMagnus ChronaGeorgi Romanov
Seattle KrakenPhilipp GrubauerJoey DaccordAles StezkaVictor OstmanNiklas Kokko
St. Louis BluesJordan BinningtonJoel HoferColten EllisVadim ZherenkoWill Cranley
Tampa Bay LightningAndrei VasilevskiyJonas JohanssonHugo AlnefeltMatt Tomkins
Toronto Maple LeafsJoe WollAnthony StolarzMatt MurrayDennis HildebyArtur AkhtyamovVyacheslav Peksa
Utah Hockey ClubKarel VejmelkaConnor IngramMatt VillaltaJaxson StauberAnson Thornton
Vancouver CanucksThatcher DemkoArturs SilovsJiri PateraNikita TolopiloTy Young
Vegas Golden KnightsAdin HillIlya SamsonovAkira SchmidCarl LindbomJesper Vikman(+Robin Lehner+)
Washington CapitalsLogan ThompsonCharlie LindgrenHunter ShepardClay StevensonMitchell GibsonGarin Bjorklund
Winnipeg JetsConnor HellebuyckKaapo KahkonenEric ComrieThomas MilicDomenic DiVincentiis

Colorado is probably going to want some insurance, imo, and maybe Dallas with Poirier and Kraws being quite green.
Montreal probably wants to see if Hughes can be a number 3, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign someone or PTO a goalie.
Philly is doing their own thing.

Last edited:

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Kochetkov and Andersen played excellent as a tandem down the stretch. IMO Andersen fell apart in the playoffs because he can’t be relied to be a true #1… I think the coaching staff was stubborn to stop the tandem that was working and pick a single guy because it’s the playoffs.
So they played excellent as a tandem for a while, but injuries and mental concerns are still a thing, and they were bounced in the 2nd round. I really don't see how Lankinen would do anything but help the Canes but alright.
I don’t think Philly should just go with Fedotov and Ersson. Both have almost no nhl experience. Lankinen would be a nice veteran for those two…
Briere & co are really high on the 2025 draft. They've got 6 draft picks in the first 2 rounds. I think they're gonna go for their version of the tank this upcoming season (and maybe the next one too) considering how they fell apart down the stretch once Hart left & the team ran out of steam.

Ersson was actually fine, just way overplayed after Hart left and was put in a tough spot. They finally got Fedotov to come over from Russia, and I'm assuming they want him to get NHL reps in. They could use a veteran presence, sure, but they're also pretty cap-strapped and don't want to operate in LTIR.

Colorado is probably going to want some insurance, imo, and maybe Dallas with Poirier and Kraws being quite green.

Colorado definitely needs help in net but their cap situation is terrible.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So they played excellent as a tandem for a while, but injuries and mental concerns are still a thing, and they were bounced in the 2nd round. I really don't see how Lankinen would do anything but help the Canes but alright.
how does Lankinen help? He has only played 19 and 24 games the last 2 years. He had a higher GAA than Spencer Martin who Carolina chose to re-sign for a salary than can be fully buried in the AHL after picking him up on waivers.

Andersen is signed for one more year and Lankinen would be a downgrade who had inferior numbers and only played 6 more games than Andersen last year. Kochetkov is the future, and the future likely begins next year after he started half the season with superior numbers to Lankinen.

So if your argument is Carolina should run Lankinen/Martin in Chicago and blow off their goalie prospects, why? Part of Carolina wanting control of the Wolves roster moves is to make sure prospects play.

If your argument is they need a playoff tested goalie, that’s not Lankinen either. If the argument is to get younger, Martin and Lankinen are the same age.

There’s no argument here for Lankinen in Carolina.

Reactions: Identity404

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
how does Lankinen help? He has only played 19 and 24 games the last 2 years. He had a higher GAA than Spencer Martin who Carolina chose to re-sign for a salary than can be fully buried in the AHL after picking him up on waivers.

Andersen is signed for one more year and Lankinen would be a downgrade who had inferior numbers and only played 6 more games than Andersen last year. Kochetkov is the future, and the future likely begins next year after he started half the season with superior numbers to Lankinen.

So if your argument is Carolina should run Lankinen/Martin in Chicago and blow off their goalie prospects, why? Part of Carolina wanting control of the Wolves roster moves is to make sure prospects play.

If your argument is they need a playoff tested goalie, that’s not Lankinen either. If the argument is to get younger, Martin and Lankinen are the same age.

There’s no argument here for Lankinen in Carolina.
I guess I just don't really rate either Martin or Andersen very highly and believe Lankinen has higher upside and adjusted numbers. But if that's your group for this year, it's certainly not the worst in the league.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I guess I just don't really rate either Martin or Andersen very highly and believe Lankinen has higher upside and adjusted numbers. But if that's your group for this year, it's certainly not the worst in the league.
Andersen in Carolina:

21-22: 2.77/.917 regular season
22-23: 2.85/.909 regular season, 1.83/.936 playoffs
23-24: 1.84/.932 regular season, 2.62/.895 playoffs

I see no evidence a goalie who has never played a playoff game has “higher upside and adjusted numbers” for this season than what Andersen based on the last 3 years.

Martin? Maybe, but you’re arguing about the likely starter for the Chicago Wolves now.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Who even needs a goalie?

Anaheim DucksJohn GibsonLukas DostalCalle ClangTomas SuchanekDamian ClaraVyacheslav Buteyets
Carolina HurricanesFrederik AndersenPyotr KochetkovSpencer MartinYaniv PeretsRuslan Khazheyev
Detroit Red WingsVille HussoAlex LyonCam TalbotJack CampbellSebastian CossaAlexander GageCarter Gylander
Edmonton OilersStuart SkinnerCalvin PickardCollin DeliaOlivier RodrigueConnor Ungar
Florida PanthersSergei BobrovskySpencer KnightChris DriedgerMack GuzdaCooper Black
Fleury
Montreal CanadiensSamuel
Montembeault
New Jersey DevilsJacob MarkstromJake AllenNico DawsIsaac PoulterJakub MalekTyler Brennan
New York IslandersIlya SorokinSemyon VarlamovMarcus HogbergJakub SkarekHenrik TikkanenTristan Lennox
New York RangersIgor ShesterkinJonathan QuickLouis DomingueDylan GarandTalyn BoykoHugo Ollas
Ottawa SenatorsLinus UllmarkAnton ForsbergMads SogaardKevin MandoleseLeevi Merilainen
Philadelphia FlyersSamuel ErssonIvan FedotovCal PetersonAleksei KolosovCarson Bjarnason
Pittsburgh PenguinsTristan JarryAlex NedeljkovicJoel BlomqvistFilip LarssonTaylor Gauthier
St. Louis BluesJordan BinningtonJoel HoferColten EllisVadim ZherenkoWill Cranley
Toronto Maple LeafsJoe WollAnthony StolarzMatt MurrayDennis HildebyArtur AkhtyamovVyacheslav Peksa
Utah Hockey ClubKarel VejmelkaConnor IngramMatt VillaltaJaxson StauberAnson Thornton
Vegas Golden KnightsAdin HillIlya SamsonovAkira SchmidCarl LindbomJesper Vikman(+Robin Lehner+)
Washington CapitalsLogan ThompsonCharlie LindgrenHunter ShepardClay StevensonMitchell GibsonGarin Bjorklund
Winnipeg JetsConnor HellebuyckKaapo KahkonenEric ComrieThomas MilicDomenic DiVincentiis

Montreal probably wants to see if Hughes can be a number 3, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign someone or PTO a goalie.
You have Matt Murray on TOR and NSH
I believe TOR resigned Martin Jones. At least that is what I see on TSN's tracker.
Very good chart btw

I'm shocked Jones hasn't been signed yet. Two years in a row of being a 3rd string that's handled a starters load due to injuries. I would've thought a team like Tampa or Colorado would bring him in as the backup
1720420361480.png

This Jones?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Andersen in Carolina:

21-22: 2.77/.917 regular season
22-23: 2.85/.909 regular season, 1.83/.936 playoffs
23-24: 1.84/.932 regular season, 2.62/.895 playoffs

I see no evidence a goalie who has never played a playoff game has “higher upside and adjusted numbers” for this season than what Andersen based on the last 3 years.

Martin? Maybe, but you’re arguing about the likely starter for the Chicago Wolves now.

Lankinen is healthy and five years younger.

I believe TOR resigned Martin Jones. At least that is what I see on TSN's tracker.
Very good chart btw

View attachment 893212
This Jones?

Two different Matt Murrays.

Reactions: n8

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Very good chart btw

View attachment 893212
This Jones?
Thanks!!

There's 30 year old Matt Murray who has played his career in Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and Toronto and 26 year old Matt Murray who has played for Dallas and now Nashville

And Jones is still a UFA; the signing you have there is from last year's free agent frenzy, but that deal expired this off-season

Reactions: torniojaws and n8

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Colorado will wait until they can remove salary of Landeskog (on LTIR) and Nichushkin (NHL assistance program). So More probably they will claiming a goalie via waiver
They also drafted Nabokov very early, possibly with hopes he can step up sooner rather than later.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Who even needs a goalie?

Fleury
Montreal CanadiensSamuel
Montembeault

I could see at least a half dozen where he is an upgrade on the backup, and also much younger. I would take him over Vladar, Allen, Quick, Vanecek, Johansson, Grubauer.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Only spots I could possibly see Lankinen getting a shot at are Calgary (depending on how Vladar and Wolf do), Seattle (if Grubauer or Daccord don't have a strong start), Tampa (if Johansson struggles), Toronto (if they get into injury problems), or Utah (depends on Ingram if he can keep up the numbers like last season and Vejmelka struggles)

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Was looking through the remaining goalies who had contracts last year that are still unsigned and other than Kevin Lankinen it appears there are not a lot of great options (Obviously Carter Hart is the most talented but given his legal issues he's not an option at this time).

Was wondering if AHL guys like Brandon Halvorson (Syracuse) or Adam Scheel (Chicago) get NHL camp tryout invites.
Lankinen is not great lol

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Who even needs a goalie?

Fleury
Montreal CanadiensSamuel
Montembeault

Chicago, Minnesota, Montreal, Philadelphia, San Jose could do with an upgrade over their current ones. Maybe Tampa would need an extra hand as well, if Alnefelt went back to Sweden?

Reactions: uncleben

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not sure why Colorado keeps getting mentioned. They need a veteran third stringer on a minimum salary they can pass through waivers back and forth to the AHL. But Annunen was quite good in his audition last year and just signed a two year, one-way extension. He’s the backup. He will be given every opportunity. Not sure Lankinen is looking for a minimum wage third string job - otherwise he would have been signed by now.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The Flames have 3 goalies with D first names and their last looks like someone tried to type Jerome Iginla’s name while blindfolded and dizzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad