Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
23 Faceoffs on the PK in the playoffs is a pretty small sample size. I mean Lindholm was 39%, Trenin 41%... Kampf didn't have a good year in the dot though, after having had a tremendous track record previously. It's an area that he needs to work on, to get back to where he was.

He was 40% on the PK in the regular season too. Maybe it’s a statistical fluke but just off memory he loses a lot of faceoffs in bunches on the PK when they get stuck on a long shift. The more he loses the longer they get stuck and the worse he does.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
He also dumped Monahan WITH a 1st to Montreal for Future Considerations in 2022. Monahan was then traded to Winnipeg this past trade deadline for a 1st.
Doing that just to sign Kadri to $7M per year and he also sign Huberdeau to $10.5...... hopefully, Brad learned from those experiences. The moves so far are pretty good. Waiting on the trades to evaluate

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Maybe he is overly cautious. He's trade record is not great.... Thachuk, Bennet. Calgary played a big role in Florida winning the cup

He also dumped Monahan WITH a 1st to Montreal for Future Considerations in 2022. Monahan was then traded to Winnipeg this past trade deadline for a 1st.

Doing that just to sign Kadri to $7M per year and he also sign Huberdeau to $10.5...... hopefully, Brad learned from those experiences. The moves so far are pretty good. Waiting on the trades to evaluate

I'm not a hardcore Treliving defender or anything, and I've been underwhelmed with this off-season, but I think it's not completely fair to judge these without understanding the situation he was in and essentially having to make these trades under duress with pressure from a meddling owner who wanted the team to remain competitive in the short-term to continue selling tickets and getting post-season revenues, and forcing his hand with things like coaching selections even (e.g. Sutter). It's clear that relationship was broken by the end as it was reported that Treliving had received offers to stick around in Calgary, but he himself chose to leave.

With Tkachuk, it was reported that Treliving was originally seeking a futures package and had some good offers, but ownership wanted established NHLers so he pivoted to Florida's offer. On paper it looked like a good trade and many even thought Calgary got better by adding Weegar and Huberdeau. Weegar has played well for them, Huberdeau has obviously been a major disappointment although he showed some signs of life in the second half of this past season. But coming off a 115 pt season at the time, can you tell me with a straight face that you thought Huberdeau would immediately crater after to the point he has? Kadri also just had an excellent season where he played with rookies on his line.

He's made good trades before, such as the two Dougie Hamilton trades.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not a hardcore Treliving defender or anything, and I've been underwhelmed with this off-season, but I think it's not completely fair to judge these without understanding the situation he was in and essentially having to make these trades under duress with pressure from a meddling owner who wanted the team to remain competitive in the short-term to continue selling tickets and getting post-season revenues, and forcing his hand with things like coaching selections even (e.g. Sutter). It's clear that relationship was broken by the end as it was reported that Treliving had received offers to stick around in Calgary, but he himself chose to leave.

With Tkachuk, it was reported that Treliving was originally seeking a futures package and had some good offers, but ownership wanted established NHLers so he pivoted to Florida's offer. On paper it looked like a good trade and many even thought Calgary got better by adding Weegar and Huberdeau. Weegar has played well for them, Huberdeau has obviously been a major disappointment although he showed some signs of life in the second half of this past season. But coming off a 115 pt season at the time, can you tell me with a straight face that you thought Huberdeau would immediately crater after to the point he has? Kadri also just had an excellent season where he played with rookies on his line.

He's made good trades before, such as the two Dougie Hamilton trades.

He probably had his reasons and hindsight is 20/20. You're always judged on these things in due time. Maybe things change here with a different boss and different perpsective, who knows. I am more than willing to give Treliving the time to move forward and make some good moves over the next few years.

Reactions: Rocker13

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He probably had his reasons and hindsight is 20/20. You're always judged on these things in due time. Maybe things change here with a different boss and different perpsective, who knows. I am more than willing to give Treliving the time to move forward and make some good moves over the next few years.
That's fair and I don't disagree. I am hoping for better myself, I generally am in line with your views on how this off-season has gone. If this is it, I am very underwhelmed.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck​

Leaf Nation when they don’t want to confront reality……..

Photographic Print, , large

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We know Tanev >>> Boosh. Boosh is a 3rd pairing guy. Tanev is an elite defensive D. The 6y got us our guy.

Boosh got a decent deal, namely because he’s younger.

my guess is dallas wasnt willing to re-up Tanev at the cap hit and term he got with the Leafs. Leafs offered more term to entire Tanev with fully front loaded signing bonuses.

That said, I am really scared of Tanev signing given his injury history and age. hopefully he doesn't nosedive like brodie and gives us at least a couple good years

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's fair and I don't disagree. I am hoping for better myself, I generally am in line with your views on how this off-season has gone. If this is it, I am very underwhelmed.

Honestly, his free agent signings so far have been pretty solid outside of the Klingberg fiasco and prioritizing Reaves, which was my biggest worry with Treliving from his Calgary days.

But so far his ability to be aggressive in the off-season has been really disappointing. We'll see what happens but yeah, underwhelming to say the least. But he could pull off a trade or two in the next week to change my mind.

Reactions: Rocker13

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
1 and 8 in playoffs tells me they are not winners. Not sure why Leafs management cannot come to that conclusion. Guess I am not factoring in catering to the fans/suits who pay for overpriced tickets, concessions and jerseys and want to be entertained for 41 home games.

to be honest I've been of the opinion that matthews struggles with marner but plays better without marner in playoffs

also putting matthews-marner together in playoffs is playing into the hands of opposition. they easily shut them down and there is no dept scoring threat.

i hope berube keeps the 3 amigos on 3 different lines to create match up problems for opposition and hopefully the 3 can drive their own lines. I mean they are 11AAV+ players they better LOL

Reactions: ToneDog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
OEL took over the #1 PP from Montour in the playoffs, so, he may get a shot at the #1 PP ...cant remember what his shot is like though

it had more to do with Montour's play drop quite significantly than OEL outplay him.

Oilers scored 2 shorties in the finals and Montour was the direct cause of the first and was being absolutely stupid on the 2nd one.

I think Montour manned the #1PP unit from 1st round all the way till the 4th game of SCF until Maurice decided to cahnge things up

They can always trade for Liligren.

assuming the defensive signings work out as designed we will have offensive option on all 3 pairings this time around (I am also really high on Liljegren still though so there is some bias there lol)

Rielly (Offense) Tanev
OEL (offense) McCabe
Benoit Liljegren (offense)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think if Tre has a problem at the moment it's a lack of aggression

This team needed major surgery this off-season and we've tinkered around the core again, honestly the forward group looks so similar to last season it beggars belief

Obviously things can change and it's a long off-season but I've been pretty welmed with what we've done and the lack of trades we've made

You would think there had to be a trade somewhere that looked appealing, this was not a team he should of been afraid of Changing yet we still seem unable to recognize what and we stagnate

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IMO they're putting McMann in the top 6 (which I think is deserved) and slotting Cowan onto the 3rd line.

I think forward lines would be as follows (or I hope they are)

Domi-Matthews-Knies
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Hakanpa

Woll
Stolarz

pretty even minutes spread out amongst 3 lines over the course of the season. Some lines will play more than the other if they are HOT and other NOT. And then add in the PP minutes for the high AAV guys

PP1
Nylander-Matthews-Tavares-Marner-OEL (I hope its Lily though)

PP2
Knies-Holmberg-Domi-McMann/Robertson-Rielly

PK1
Kampf-Marner
McCabe Tanev

PK2
Dewar-Holmberg
OEL Rielly

PK3
Matthews-Nylander
Benoit-Liljegren

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This team needed major surgery this off-season and we've tinkered around the core again, honestly the forward group looks so similar to last season it beggars belief

Obviously things can change and it's a long off-season but I've been pretty welmed with what we've done and the lack of trades we've made

You would think there had to be a trade somewhere that looked appealing, this was not a team he should of been afraid of Changing yet we still seem unable to recognize what and we stagnate

You want to not trade a big fish like Marner because it could be a bad return? Ok…

But running it back with pieces like Jarnkrok and even Kampf?

Yikes.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

I have not been much of a fan of what Tre has done since he got here and his track record before he got here is pretty ugly.

That said he may not have the option for major surgery on the team’s core at this point. They all have NMCs. If they don’t want to move on they aren’t going. If they wanted to shake up the core it had to happen last year around the draft before all the trade protection kicked in.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Tre is handcuffed by 22 million in caphits for 16 and 91 as they ahve full ntc/nmc. gotta plan for 2025-2026; can't do much next season unless the high AAV guys have an ephiphany and force their way in playoffs and get Leafs the cup

Reactions: HolyCrap

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

I do like Tanev signing even if his age represents some risk as is his injury history.

I would have preferred we went after Zadarov over OEL (even if we overpaid) to give this team some added toughness when playoff rolls around.

Boston’s dcorp will be very physical and punishing and that is a scary thought.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have not been much of a fan of what Tre has done since he got here and his track record before he got here is pretty ugly.

That said he may not have the option for major surgery on the team’s core at this point. They all have NMCs. If they don’t want to move on they aren’t going. If they wanted to shake up the core it had to happen last year around the draft before all the trade protection kicked in.

there were rumours that they did shop nylnader around didn't like what was offered so signed him that means marner now is the odd man out and he has nmc so we will what becomes of 2025-2026 season

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think forward lines would be as follows (or I hope they are)

Domi-Matthews-Knies
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Hakanpa

Woll
Stolarz

pretty even minutes spread out amongst 3 lines over the course of the season. Some lines will play more than the other if they are HOT and other NOT. And then add in the PP minutes for the high AAV guys

PP1
Nylander-Matthews-Tavares-Marner-OEL (I hope its Lily though)

PP2
Knies-Holmberg-Domi-McMann/Robertson-Rielly

PK1
Kampf-Marner
McCabe Tanev

PK2
Dewar-Holmberg
OEL Rielly

PK3
Matthews-Nylander
Benoit-Liljegren

Robertson said he's not signing, so until that changes Im not including him in a lineup

Reactions: PromisedLand

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

too me it comes down to a plan and it doesn't really look like we have one moving forward right now. what I was hoping that with the UFA dmen available and some in trade as well we could have used this summer to make our top 4 Dmen a stength of this team and molded that into what we wanted long term and just went with what we had for Forwards spending little money there.

then next summer when Tavares and Marner came off the books we would then re work the forward group and mold that into what we wanted that to look like.

Then from there you have 3 years of Matthews contract left to really push for the cup and maybe 2-3 more years if you can re-sign him.

but instead they went more bargain hunting to fill all the holes and personally the current team is still average at best top 4 Dmen league wide and with Matthews/Tavares/Kampf/Dewar? down the middle were now weak there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
@WTFMAN99 and @Fogelhund

I do like Tanev signing even if his age represents some risk as is his injury history.

I would have preferred we went after Zadarov over OEL (even if we overpaid) to give this team some added toughness when playoff rolls around.

Boston’s dcorp will be very physical and punishing and that is a scary thought.

Honestly I just wanted Zadrov and Lindholm and then dumpster dive. And round out defense in 2025-2026 season securing the 2C in Lindholm and Top4 in Zadorov. But.........

oh well.....

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Conventional offseason so far. Not really seeing much of anything different. Trading the 1st back to get a 7th and a 2nd was interesting.

Tanev has been the boldest and most meaningful transaction so far.

Stolarz could outperform his deal as well.

Assuming that once DeWar and Robertson are managed we perhaps have a move left. All signs are pointing to run it back so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad