Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Kampf seems like the odd man out if money is going to be used anywhere else in the lineup. I don't see how moving Jarnkrok does anything, can't really improve on a guy like that for less than 2.1. Holmberg played above Kampf in the playoffs, Dewar was a C in Minny, writing is on the wall.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Im not sure what peoples expectations were for Brad to do. He can only do so much, at the end of the day, players need to want to come to Toronto. I dont think he could have signed any of the players he did for less money or term.

In a worst case scenarios with Tanev, he ends up ltir and we have the use of the cap space or he retires.

I think OEL will be fine and worst case scenario we look to dump him with only 1 year left. Hakanpaa is a non issue. Pretty minimal risk. Even Lilly is short term deal.

The riskiest signing may be Woll.

Defense is biggest and probably best we have had in the Matthews era.

Goaltending is most likeable/most potential we have had in ages.

At the moment we have 3 star forwards (Matthews,Marner, Nylander), 3 decent 2nd line forwards (Knies, Tavares, Domi), 2/3 of an above average 3rd line with Mcmann and Jarnkrok, and probably a good enough cast to put together a 3rd line.

If the Leafs could make a deal for a 3C I would really feel good going into the season. Robertson + something and bring in Mo Frost. Should be doable cap wise.

Domi. Matthews. Nylander
Knies. Tavares. Marner
Mcmann. Frost. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar.
Reaves

Rielly. Tanev
OEL. Mccabe
Benoit. Lilly
Hakanpaa

Woll/Stolarz

Reactions: Roo and TML Dynasty

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It’s a red flag for the Leafs. Everyone is praising Hakanpaa as better than Lyubushkin, which he has been. Why did Dallas overpay Boosh instead of retaining Hakanpaa for much cheaper? What do they know that the Leafs don’t? They have been a well run organization for the last few years. I doubt they moved on at 1.5M because it didn’t make sense financially.

Yes, very well run... can I repeat... Dumba 2 years @ $3.75 million.

We passed on Boosh, to sign Tanev.... what is it we know about Boosh, that Dallas doesn't know? Boosh was their consolation prize, for not being able to extend Tanev.

Reactions: Roo and Duffman955

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games. VERY BIG GLARING MISTAKES.
Fans remember!!!

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon giving panthers the lead in the game and the momentum (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not lacks attention to detail, boardwork, puck battles, etc....11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and at very important times. Because of this cap hit Leafs have to dumpster dive and fill the roster while marner continues to make mistakes in playoffs. When is this enough? WHEN?

Are fans just suppsoed to slobber over how awesome marner is even when he continues to make mistakes that cost Leafs games? (above are jsut handful of examples).

COME ON MAN!

Enough is enough already! I want Leafs to WIN. With or without marner. So far with marner Leafs' results have been trash. it is time Leafs try to get these results without marner. I don't want leafs to commit another ridiculous AAV to Marner given his past, glaring mistakes, his attitude, lack of personal accountability and responsibility and more importantly negative impact on the Leafs on ice results in the playoffs

Some bad looks for 34 and 88 too, these guys haven’t learned a thing……

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It’s a red flag for the Leafs. Everyone is praising Hakanpaa as better than Lyubushkin, which he has been. Why did Dallas overpay Boosh instead of retaining Hakanpaa for much cheaper? What do they know that the Leafs don’t? They have been a well run organization for the last few years. I doubt they moved on at 1.5M because it didn’t make sense financially.

If we're spinning narratives, their scouting could have a different outlook on him, his agent could have sold him on 'playing tougher minutes', Hakanpaa is definitely more one-dimensional, Boosh is 2 years younger and not coming off of knee surgery.... mistakes get made all the time on July 1st. I'd MUCH rather a mistake at 1.5x2 than 3x3.25. FWIW the Dallas boards seem pretty down on the Boosh deal too.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

We passed on Boosh, to sign Tanev.... what is it we know about Boosh, that Dallas doesn't know? Boosh was their consolation prize, for not being able to extend Tanev.
We know Tanev >>> Boosh. Boosh is a 3rd pairing guy. Tanev is an elite defensive D. The 6y got us our guy.

Boosh got a decent deal, namely because he’s younger.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
1720013510913.png

Sigh, gonna miss capfriendly. But here's the lineup with Kampf given away for free. about 2.5-2.75 to buy low or trade for a 2nd line winger and run a 21 man roster. Robertson and Timmins as trade chips.

Not much can be done without a Marner trade.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Some bad looks for 34 and 88 too, these guys haven’t learned a thing……
1 and 8 in playoffs tells me they are not winners. Not sure why Leafs management cannot come to that conclusion. Guess I am not factoring in catering to the fans/suits who pay for overpriced tickets, concessions and jerseys and want to be entertained for 41 home games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's crazy to me that Nick Robertson asked for a trade. Do I understand where he's coming from? Ofcourse. But, if he could just look at the roster and see how the LW is shaping up and how bad the Leafs need a LW goal scorer and he's absolutely primed to not just get ice-time but also have himself in an amazing opportunity to produce with good players and set himself up for really good contract negotiations the next few years.
Maybe he sees what ROR saw and wants no part of the circus going forward, if you think aquiring quality free agents is hard now, wait until there’s another year of playoff failure to add to the Leafs resume……..

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Dumba and Lyubushkin are brutal signings but it's hard to argue with their pro scouting or the results they've had over the last 5 years. They consistently ice a better team than the Leafs.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If we're spinning narratives, their scouting could have a different outlook on him, his agent could have sold him on 'playing tougher minutes', Hakanpaa is definitely more one-dimensional, Boosh is 2 years younger and not coming off of knee surgery.... mistakes get made all the time on July 1st. I'd MUCH rather a mistake at 1.5x2 than 3x3.25. FWIW the Dallas boards seem pretty down on the Boosh deal too.
I don't think for a second that Hakanpaa is more 1-dimensional that Lyubushkin. Lyubushkin barely even has 1 dimension where he excels. I don't know if Lyubushkin has been better than Hakanpaa at any aspect of the game since Hakanpaa went to Dallas.

Obviously you take the risk at 1.5x2 over 2x3.25M. The question is why did Dallas do that?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
View attachment 891774

Sigh, gonna miss capfriendly. But here's the lineup with Kampf given away for free. about 2.5-2.75 to buy low or trade for a 2nd line winger and run a 21 man roster. Robertson and Timmins as trade chips.

Not much can be done without a Marner trade.
SO sad. RIP Capfriendly. F you Washington.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Dumba was a awful signing, must have been happy hour when they made that call………

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
1-keefe system doesn't involve d in the offensive end and forechecking is pretty passive... That's help to hide a pretty awful D but at the same time completly destroy the team offensive and we saw the difference the day keefe step in vs columbus. A average team with below average goalie but was unable to create anything offensively. When you watched the game, it was looking like they had glue on blue line and D never left the blue line in the offensive end.

massive leafs contract start with JT contract who broke everything. When matthews and marner had to resign, it's becoming pretty hard to don't give them basically the same money.
originally it did, but, they sucked at it, and were always caught out of position and we'd give up 2 on 1's every other shift, so, he abandoned it

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I don't think for a second that Hakanpaa is more 1-dimensional that Lyubushkin. Lyubushkin barely even has 1 dimension where he excels. I don't know if Lyubushkin has been better than Hakanpaa at any aspect of the game since Hakanpaa went to Dallas.

Obviously you take the risk at 1.5x2 over 2x3.25M. The question is why did Dallas do that?
Hakanpaa has a bad knee and opinions vary on whether or not he can actually play again. Toronto's taking a flier. Maybe they have a different medical opinion.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It really depends on what you are looking for, and how durable you believe these guys are. Tanev, if he stays healthy and doesn't decline, will be the best partner Rielly has ever had. OEL provides some secondary PP and is decent as a third pairing guy, can move the puck. Hakanpaa if healthy, is a good third pairing guy with physicality, and is an upgrade on Edmundson.

Tanev, OEL and Hakanpaa are upgrades over Brodie, Gio, Edmundson and Lyubushkin.. At least in my opinion.

Overall defensive play will really depend on Berube, how healthy and durable this group is, and goaltending. We also picked up Myers, Mermis and have Benoit, Webber and Hirvonen... so it's a deep group.

It's a better group at moving the puck, which we certainly needed. Depending on who is in the lineup, it isn't quite as physical... though McCabe, Hakanpaa and Benoit do provide what's needed, if they are all in the lineup at the same time... which seems unlikely.
OEL took over the #1 PP from Montour in the playoffs, so, he may get a shot at the #1 PP ...cant remember what his shot is like though

Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How about not making mistakes at any price, I hope the Finnish Giant kills it this year for the Leafs, but I wouldn’t bet on it. My take is Boosh got more money because he’s working with two knees instead of one………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
1 and 8 in playoffs tells me they are not winners. Not sure why Leafs management cannot come to that conclusion. Guess I am not factoring in catering to the fans/suits who pay for overpriced tickets, concessions and jerseys and want to be entertained for 41 home games.
They seem content with jersey sales, 41 sell out home games, one round of playoff revenue, and the tv rites to all of the above……..

Yaaaaa I think it's more of a lack of opportunity thing with Robertson up to this point.
That too……..

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

I think I'm comfortable saying Lyubushkin is a #5 shutdown D over a #6/7. Although Boosh doesn't provide a lick of offence, he is pretty reliable for the most part in a shut down role. Jani Hakanpaa is more of a #6. And then there's the injuries concerns which create the even bigger gap. Hakanpaa makes more sense for the leafs though. Dallas needed to pay a little more for Lybushkin for that little bit extra security you get with Lybushkin to replace Tanev.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
How about not making mistakes at any price, I hope the Finnish Giant kills it this year for the Leafs, but I wouldn’t bet on it. My take is Boosh got more money because he’s working with two knees instead of one………

While that's the goal, that's just not always realistic. You're going to miss on some moves. Question is how can you minimize the damage and win more than you lose. Perhaps the deal was so low because the first season they are expecting him to rehab - so essentially we have him for Y2 only at 1.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad