Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
YODA.jpg

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
A trade to clear space is definitely coming (Robertson still unsigned):

12 Forwards
+ Dewar 1m
$60,328,000

6 Defence
$25,325,000
- $1,100,000 (Timmins)
- $875,000 (Webber)
$23,350,000

3 Goaltending
$4,141,667

TOTAL: $87,819,667

Cap space remaining: $180,333

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I feel so duped. Here I was calling friends and family excited about the Entwhistle move only to be trolled, I'm a laughingstock now
We have to realize that playing for the Leafs isn’t what it used to be, players don’t want to be part of the gong show circus this team has becoeme, and personally I don’t blame them………

Reactions: supermann_98

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe we're running it back again. Look how ruthless Tampa, Colorado, Vegas are, why are we so shy with our players, it's hasn't been helpful. Sad to see we might just sign DeWar, and maybe clear a depth players so we can add someone to the bottom 6 and then call it an offseason. Management is not trying hard enough to find answers. This is more of the same.
To be fair, Toronto is following the same path as both Vegas and Tampa, which is letting their star player walk in free agency. Not sure what Colorado has done to be so ruthless.

I find it hard believe though Toronto is contempt to run it with legitimately the EXACT same forward group as last year, minus Bertuzzi. They need to find a way to replace his 15 goals and potentially Robertson 15gs.

Now if the Roster looks this come September, I won't be a happy fan.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
A trade to clear space is definitely coming (Robertson still unsigned):

12 Forwards
+ Dewar 1m
$60,328,000

6 Defence
$25,325,000
- $1,100,000 (Timmins)
- $875,000 (Webber)
$23,350,000

3 Goaltending
$4,141,667

TOTAL: $87,819,667

Cap space remaining: $180,333

I think trades will come but Timmins, Webber and 1 of the 3 goalies (Murray) won’t be on the team.
That’s almost $3 million

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

Reactions: Kurtz

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What's with all the Wild castoffs. First Reaves, then Dewar. Now Mermis and apparently looking to sign Mason Shaw as well.
Dubas had the Soo greyhounds, Tre has the Wild…….

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

So, Marner’s a negative on the ice in the playoffs, and his soap opera is effecting the ability to sign new players. Definitely being extended…….

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Would Tarasenko take $5M x 3 years somewhere?

If we could dump say Reaves/Kampf/Jarnkrok/Timmins to Anaheim for Leason you could run a 21 man roster paying him that.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Domi-Holmberg-Tarasenko
Robertson-Dewar-Leason

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.
’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

I’d be absolutely shocked if that was not the case. I’ve talked about it a bit here. It’d be naive to think that players don’t notice the building toxicity of the fans and media

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Hockey players are so thin skinned compared to every other major sport. Like as if LeBron James just went like you know what, I wanna play in Europe, the pressure is too much. Or if Tom Brady decided that his future was with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to get away from the pressure. Fans are passionate and they will build statues and will give an infinite amount of praise for the smallest amount of success in Toronto, just look at Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark. But the downside of not having success is obviously going to create a lot of tension and toxicity.

If they don't want to deal with it, it's their choice and I certainly don't want them here if they can't handle it.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That is unbelievably depressing

SOFT

The bar is in hell in Toronto, shame some players are scared of that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad