Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Jarnkrok + Robertson + Connor Timmins (if they want some defensive depth) for Ross Colton. Should be cap savings for Colorado

Trade Kampf to Anaheim for a late future pick. Straight salary dump

Sign Clutterbuck

Domi - Mathews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Colton - Holmberg
Clutterbuck - Dewar - Reaves
Am I crazy abdmissing something or are the Avs fine for Cap space?

If Landeskog is healthy they have 4.5 million and only need to add a depth player or two.

If he's not they have about 12 million to spend.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ok, so it's only July 2nd.... but I'm not overly thrilled, or optimistic as to what we've done. I love the additions to the D, if it were 6-8 years ago.... but here we are. I like Tanev, OEL is kind of meh, and overpaid. Hakanpaa was good at one point... we shall see how the knee and his game recovers.

I do like the Domi and Lilly signings.

But no trades... no new forwards... nothing's changed there at all.

I guess I'm kind of underwhelmed at this point. Is there any indication that we've got some cooking going on, to change some of what's up front?
Right there with you on basically each point.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Ok, so it's only July 2nd.... but I'm not overly thrilled, or optimistic as to what we've done. I love the additions to the D, if it were 6-8 years ago.... but here we are. I like Tanev, OEL is kind of meh, and overpaid. Hakanpaa was good at one point... we shall see how the knee and his game recovers.

I guess I'm kind of underwhelmed at this point. Is there any indication that we've got some cooking going on, to change some of what's up front?
My thoughts exactly. We are marginally better than last year, and it seems like they are just banking on revamped coaching and internal growth to do the rest, which overall seems irresponsible and not good enough when Matthews and Nylander are basically at their peaks.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Am I crazy abdmissing something or are the Avs fine for Cap space?

If Landeskog is healthy they have 4.5 million and only need to add a depth player or two.

If he's not they have about 12 million to spend.
Go look at Seravelli's tweet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Treliving did say they had more work to do.

It's more or less the same team with a few of the deck chairs changed again. There's likely a trade or two coming but to what level they will be... Who knows.

The 2 big x factors with this team are the growth of a few players like Liljegren, Woll, McMann, Holmberg and Knies, and if the new coaches can unlock another level to the overall performance of the team.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The 2 big x factors with this team are the growth of a few players like Liljegren, Woll and Knies, and if the new coaches can unlock another level to the overall performance of the team.
And if they can move a core piece, which at this point in time seems unlikely.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
My thoughts exactly. We are marginally better than last year, and it seems like they are just banking on revamped coaching and internal growth to do the rest, which seems irresponsible when Matthews and Nylander are basically at their peaks.
You can't really expect us to put together a better team on paper than last year until JTs contract is over since the cap increase went straight to Nylander.

For this year, you're hoping that the new coach can help improve our end result with a new system and that the additions help make us a more balanced team. Hopefully Cowan and/or another rookie (Minten/Niemela) step-up during training camp and make it onto the team for some internal growth.

I'd expect us to likely try to add a scoring middle six forward at the TDL and then look to improve our forward depth more the following year with additional capspace. The hope is that we don't need a defenseman or goalie this TDL for once.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I'm going to echo the comments here about being underwhelmed. I'll also add that I'm concerned too.

The biggest thing that concerns me is the fact that moving cap space around now and finding value on day 2-5 into free agency starts to become fewer and fewer.

Could they subtract from their current roster and make a Marner trade? Absolutely. The longer it goes on, IMO it starts to become harder to fill out the roster.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

One difference is that we stopped trading away 1st round picks for rentals, so now we have promising prospects like Cowan who may contribute next year at low cap hits. Or even, in trades for a more promising long term player like Pinto. IMO, there's more hope now lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fantasy GM Mode:

Marner + Kampf to Utah for something around Dylan Guenther + Bjugstad

Jarnkrok + Robertson to Colorado for Ross Colton

Sign Tarasenko

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Guenther-Colton-Tarasenko
Dewar-Bjugstad-Reaves
Holmberg

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You can't really expect us to put together a better team on paper than last year until JTs contract is over since the cap increase went straight to Nylander.

For this year, you're hoping that the new coach can help improve our end result with a new system and that the additions help make us a more balanced team. Hopefully Cowan and/or another rookie (Minten/Niemela) step-up during training camp and make it onto the team for some internal growth.

I'd expect us to likely try to add a scoring middle six forward at the TDL and then look to improve our forward depth more the following year with additional capspace. The hope is that we don't need a defenseman or goalie this TDL for once.

The problem with this thinking is that you're going to be able to continue to keep pace with the other teams in the division and no one else is going to get better, while the Leafs try and restructure their roster based on more funds available.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One difference is that we stopped trading away 1st round picks for rentals, so now we have promising prospects like Cowan who may contribute next year at low cap hits. Or even, in trades for a more promising long term player like Pinto. IMO, there's more hope now lol.

Definite positive for sure.

One challenge is our loss in goal scoring capability. We had challenges as it was in the playoffs, but lost Bertuzzi and maybe Robertson too. Robertson should have been a 25 goal scorer going forward if used right, and Bertuzzi did pot a few for us.... and no replacements at all.

I guess the hope is Knies, Cowan and Grebyonkin might contribute?

I look through the remaining free agents, and don't see much there either... We can't really move out Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robertson... without a real hockey trade now. I don't see adequate Free Agent replacements, and the team just gets worse without a legit return. Robertson, if I'm management, and like the kid... I'm not trading him. Sorry, we have control, prove you belong, and we will give you ice time... we aren't under any obligation to trade him... he can sit at home until he signs... we need his goal scoring.

Reactions: LeafSteel

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

One challenge is our loss in goal scoring capability. We had challenges as it was in the playoffs, but lost Bertuzzi and maybe Robertson too. Robertson should have been a 25 goal scorer going forward if used right, and Bertuzzi did pot a few for us.... and no replacements at all.

I look through the remaining free agents, and don't see much there either... We can't really move out Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robertson... without a real hockey trade now. I don't see adequate Free Agent replacements, and the team just gets worse without a legit return. Robertson, if I'm management, and like the kid... I'm not trading him. Sorry, we have control, prove you belong, and we will give you ice time... we aren't under any obligation to trade him... he can sit at home until he signs... we need his goal scoring.
Minten should make the team, and Cowen is either on the Leafs or back to JRs... Greb, no idea, depends on if he can play for the marlies or not (i didnt check)

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

Bertuzzi is a big loss. He did so well in the playoffs too. I'm hoping OEL will help our power play, thus giving more offense. Also hoping that a lower usage Rielly (no more PP), he'll play better 5 on 5 and will help drive offense better as well.

We still need a 3C. I'm hoping we can swing a trade for Colton/Pinto/Tomasino. We'll see.

I think Cowan and Grebyonkin will make the team as well. Cowan straight out of camp, Grebyonkin might spend some time in the AHL first to get use to the North American game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Blues added both Faksa and Joseph (and a 3rd round pick) for future considerations. They were both making just around 3M.

Yeah... it's gonna be hard to make a trade.

Reactions: sxvnert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad