Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
How about a trade involving Liljegren (3 m) to Montreal along with some prospects for Mike Matheson (4.875)

Liljegren appears to align better with Montreal's timeline, and Matheson seems to fit the leafs win now mode. We could sweeten the deal by including a promising prospect.

I'm uncertain of Matheson's defence but he put up 60 points on the back end and he has some good size.

I'd rather Jack McBain - solid bottom-9 C with plenty of size, great cap hit for 2 more years, Toronto boy, still has some upside, and is playing behind Hayton and Cooley over there. Would slot 3C for us. Lilly can go play top-4 minutes for Zona and test his upside.

Reactions: OVO16 and Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lunch Break at work: just logging into see if we had signed any depth pieces based on Tre's interview yesterday.

Looks like nothing yet huh

He may have meant that some of the deals are not officially announced yet such as Hakanpaa and Murray. I suspect they have physicals/medicals today to ensure all is good. Dreger apparently mentioned Mason Shaw as well. I don't feel like Treliving is very active on social media to know what's known or not.

The announced deals are OEL, Tanev, Domi, Liljegren and Woll so far.

Treliving did also say unprompted that they have a lot more work to do.

Last edited:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
i continue to maintain that keller+ for marner is the best outcome for us.

Why?

1) Keller could potentially play as a centre (yes he's played RW for the last 7 years but still gives us optionality in a pinch).
2) 3 years at 7.125M which is a steal
3) he's put up 86 and 76 pts with 37 and 33 goals the last two years. With less focus on him and more on matthews and a winger like nylander or knies and a better PP here he could be 85pts+ here consistently.
4) He can pk
5) we save 4M to spend on another top 4 guy LIKE ross in a trade.
Why would they trade Keller+ for Marner?

According to your description, which I agree with, Keller is pretty much equal to Marner (bit less points, more goals, PK) while being younger and significantly cheaper.

Reactions: Tony Romo

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Why would they trade Keller+ for Marner?

According to your description, which I agree with, Keller is pretty much equal to Marner (bit less points, more goals, PK) while being younger and significantly cheaper.
Dawg.... Who cares. I'm not in make a gm mode. That's on them

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Your father didn’t last.
I don’t mean that as a slight or to be rude, but the tough times don’t last tough people do don’t is a throw away line that I’m sure you found on Facebook. Tough times do absolutely last for some.
The saying is referring to the person going through the tough times (Brodie) not his father not being tough enough to not die. I’m befuddled how you can’t interpret this age old adage properly………

Reactions: HolyCrap

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Daniel Sprong is still out there. We’re looking for more goals, that’s one thing he does really well.

What about a flyer on Tyler Johnson as a depth Center option?

How is Sprong on the defensive side of the puck and how is his IQ?

Just curious if he is another version of Kapanen/Grabner or if there is potential to have him meshing with a line.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Daniel Sprong is still out there. We’re looking for more goals, that’s one thing he does really well.
Cap wise, it's probably not doable at this time.

But from reading a few posts from the trade board, he can really frustrate coaches with his play; I assume they mean in his own end.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How is Sprong on the defensive side of the puck and how is his IQ?

Just curious if he is another version of Kapanen/Grabner or if there is potential to have him meshing with a line.
Cap wise, it's probably not doable at this time.

But from reading a few posts from the trade board, he can really frustrate coaches with his play; I assume they mean in his own end.

Yep he's a fast and skilled winger. But inconsistent and not the best physically or in his own end. But he's a solid 40+ point winger that can give you around 20 goals. I wouldn't pay much more than what Vegas paid to get Olofsson, which is probably not fair considering his production last 2 seasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok, so it's only July 2nd.... but I'm not overly thrilled, or optimistic as to what we've done. I love the additions to the D, if it were 6-8 years ago.... but here we are. I like Tanev, OEL is kind of meh, and overpaid. Hakanpaa was good at one point... we shall see how the knee and his game recovers.

I do like the Domi and Lilly signings.

But no trades... no new forwards... nothing's changed there at all.

I guess I'm kind of underwhelmed at this point. Is there any indication that we've got some cooking going on, to change some of what's up front?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ok, so it's only July 2nd.... but I'm not overly thrilled, or optimistic as to what we've done. I love the additions to the D, if it were 6-8 years ago.... but here we are. I like Tanev, OEL is kind of meh, and overpaid. Hakanpaa was good at one point... we shall see how the knee and his game recovers.

I guess I'm kind of underwhelmed at this point. Is there any indication that we've got some cooking going on, to change some of what's up front?

Trev indicated they'd like to add up front and they have some depth to fill out .. he's gauging the trade market right now

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

I think this is one area where Treveling has not shown any chops. He needs to do something on this front. 3C would be swell. Grittier 4th line too please. Team speed? PK forward?

I’m not judging anything until the season starts.

Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

If all the D stay healthy and play like they did last season (not including Lilly) they should be fine. The real question is can that even a realistic possibility?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He hasn’t had any time to make changes, summer of 28 will be the first offseason where we REALLY get to see what Tre can do.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What's the rush?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Jarnkrok + Robertson + Connor Timmins (if they want some defensive depth) for Ross Colton. Should be cap savings for Colorado

Trade Kampf to Anaheim for a late future pick. Straight salary dump

Sign Clutterbuck

Domi - Mathews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Colton - Holmberg
Clutterbuck - Dewar - Reaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad