Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Why would you want Theodore? He shoots left, he's dead last in the NHL in hits/60 among D, he's about to get overpaid until he retires. No benefit from the Leafs. They'd be much better off moving him for futures.
because i think the futures we'd be able to get him are a heck of a lot higher than the deal you proposed.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Well, I’ve lost my father and endured my wife surviving a life threatening disease and I’m still here. Tough times don’t last, tough people do………
Your father didn’t last.
I don’t mean that as a slight or to be rude, but the tough times don’t last tough people do don’t is a throw away line that I’m sure you found on Facebook. Tough times do absolutely last for some.

Reactions: aingefan and Kelly

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I know Tre mentioned they had some depth signings in the hopper but those have to be dependent on what salary gets moved out.

We also know Tre put a contract extension off out to Marner's camp but it's not believed to be a raise (can someone confirm)?

In the interim Tre is scouring the trade market for likely guys like Jarnkrok and Kampf to clear salary (maybe Lily too). Without a doubt though he has a good pulse on what he could get for Marner too.

I think Tre is waiting on some response from Marner's camp ... after the Gaudreau thing I have a real hard time believing he'd go into the season without trading Marner or extending him. That response should cause the domino effect for the Leafs' remaining moves.

There shouldn't be a rush to shore up depth up front until then. Lots of options there, so get your big stuff sorted first. It may be a few days before we get much.
good summary.

At first i was appalled at the OEL deal. And then copium kicked in. And then the rest of the free agency kicked in and all of a sudden I'm like okay that's a great deal comparatively to the other guys. Only walker had a better deal from the canes.

Re: the other stuff, we need at least one legit top 6 player up front and one top 9. So hoping the trades fill those needs.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I know Tre mentioned they had some depth signings in the hopper but those have to be dependent on what salary gets moved out.

We also know Tre put a contract extension off out to Marner's camp but it's not believed to be a raise (can someone confirm)?
Uh... What? He did? Source?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

In the interim Tre is scouring the trade market for likely guys like Jarnkrok and Kampf to clear salary (maybe Lily too). Without a doubt though he has a good pulse on what he could get for Marner too.

I think Tre is waiting on some response from Marner's camp ... after the Gaudreau thing I have a real hard time believing he'd go into the season without trading Marner or extending him. That response should cause the domino effect for the Leafs' remaining moves.

There shouldn't be a rush to shore up depth up front until then. Lots of options there, so get your big stuff sorted first. It may be a few days before we get much.
How do we know the bolded?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
good summary.

At first i was appalled at the OEL deal. And then copium kicked in. And then the rest of the free agency kicked in and all of a sudden I'm like okay that's a great deal comparatively to the other guys. Only walker had a better deal from the canes.

Re: the other stuff, we need at least one legit top 6 player up front and one top 9. So hoping the trades fill those needs.
I had him on my list because he is a great skating RHD, but, he only has had 1 good season his entire career (last season)
OEL has pedigree at least, while Walker is more of a high risk/reward guy.
Either he figure out how to play, or it was circumstance, since he was on 2 free wheeling teams, on a more stagnant/structured team like the Canes, he may regress

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I had him on my list because he is a great skating RHD, but, he only has had 1 good season his entire career (last season)
OEL has pedigree at least, while Walker is more of a high risk/reward guy.
Either he figure out how to play, or it was circumstance, since he was on 2 free wheeling teams, on a more stagnant/structured team like the Canes, he may regress
yeah lets see.

OEL has to focus on skating and continuing to be a prick. Maybe the panthers culture rubbed off on him and he was the guy being rough and in your face. But if he reverts to being a p***y with our shit culture than this will be a long ass four years.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
yeah lets see.

OEL has to focus on skating and continuing to be a prick. Maybe the panthers culture rubbed off on him and he was the guy being rough and in your face. But if he reverts to being a p***y with our shit culture than this will be a long ass four years.

Meh if the SBs result in much of it being frontloaded then the contract won't be hard to move on for - budget teams will value the real $$ being lower than the cap hit. Not so concerned about that. I like our three ads and think we've upgraded pretty substantially at least for the next year. Really interested now in how we address the forward depth.

Reactions: ER89

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
good summary.

Honestly Walker isn’t even that good. I prefer the upside of OEL here.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
We need skilled winger. Though not good in SJ last year, I would most def give a 1 year show me deal to Zadina. I think he would shine offensively with us.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We need skilled winger. Though not good in SJ last year, I would most def give a 1 year show me deal to Zadina. I think he would shine offensively with us.

He could be a good PTO candidate but I don't think he's got enough IQ or overall attributes that would fit at all what we need. He needs to go to a retooling/rebuilding team again or take a chance to prove himself on a tryout.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I only say this because he's about as opposite a Treliving type Dman as we have.

Something has to give with our cap situation. There will be trades made this summer.
Yes and no, Treliving like's a mixture of both size and puck moving ability, Lillypad lacks size, but can move the puck well. But Treliving also drafted and developed Rasmus Andersson, whose listed as same height as Lillypad and abit heavier.

Reactions: stickty111

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
How about a trade involving Liljegren (3 m) to Montreal along with some prospects for Mike Matheson (4.875)

Liljegren appears to align better with Montreal's timeline, and Matheson seems to fit the leafs win now mode. We could sweeten the deal by including a good prospect.

I'm uncertain of Matheson's defence but he put up 60 points on the back end and he has some good size.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I'd heard the Theo because he needs a new deal, but, if Vegas even considered moving Pietrangelo, we should be all over that, and can include Lil too.
Pietrangelo is the guy we should have signed when he was available.
I think Pietrangelo has taken a step back. He’s not what he once was.

I don’t want the Leafs to be on the hook for his bad years.

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad