Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Would like to see Tarasenko brought in on a 1 year deal. A trade or two is inevitable at this point, so hopefully enough is moved out to bring in a bit more help offensively.

Reactions: Jojalu

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've been following this team since the late 90's (missed the Wendel/Dougie teams) and every single star player we've ever had received hate from the fanbase for a large part of their tenure. From Sundin to Kaberle to Kessel to the guys we have now.

Granted, maybe it's the same everywhere.

There are winning organizations and fanbases that turn on far more successful players.

Reactions: Al14 and HolyCrap

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Crazy to see the whole UFA board picked pretty clean on day one.

I imagine Tarasenko goes back to Florida. The only guy out there i wouldnt mind as a league minimum bounce back candidate is Tanner Pearson. Vet who can kill penalties and play middle six with some size.

Other then that I think trades would be where we would have to look to improve.

If I can dream. Kampf, Lily and prospect for Kadri retained.
Robertson and Minten for Mcgroarty. Or Robertson for Hayton. Or just play him on second line pump his numbers and trade him at the deadline.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
follow up I think they did well to get value from the signings they did.

a lot of people wanted Skinner for example. But if you put him and Robertson (ignoring trade demand) in the same spot in the lineup. Top 9 and PP I doubt there is more than a few goals separating them at year end. For 2 million less that’s the kind of value you need to find when you have 4 overpaid “stars”.

I think everyone they signed should give more value then their cap hit.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Hoping we get Morgan Frost or Scott Laughton out of Philly. Would really help solidify that 3rd line center position.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Zadorov included there, said they weren't interested in paying him 5 mil.

Kind of insane considering he that's just 1.5 more than OEL.
As someone who is a fan of the nucks the Zadorov hype is out of control.
He had a good playoff series but he was also 5th on the depth chart all regular season and the staff very seldom elevated his minutes he was a guy who put up no points, played on the 3rd pair averaging like 5 mins less than Myers, wasn't good on the pk.

You guys will see him a lot and I'm guessing once you see him at his normal level you will be glad he's not a leaf @5 million for six years.
Lindholm is also meh who was so bad we tried trading him at the deadline. 13 good playoff games doesn't change the fact he's been a 40 point guy for 3 years now and he just got 7 ×7500000.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Would have been an almost perfect ufa period if not for the lily signing.

It's possible Tre wasn't confident in signing Hakanpää and wanted insurance. At this point package lily + Robertson + Kampf for picks/players.
IMO a perfect free agency would have been:

Tanev @4.5
OEL @3.5
Monahan @5.5
Hakanpaa @1.5
Thompson @0.776

Basically Stolarz vs Logan Thompson is the difference in signing Monahan or not.

ij4y.png

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unlike last off-season I actually like the additions. I'm choosing not to acknowledge the term or cap anymore, but they got actual good players that do what the team was lacking: Move the puck to the forwards, and save the puck. For once I'm not gonna be upset with Tre.

Too bad we're wasting cap on that awful Kampf contract because that 2.4 could've gone to a useful player like Skinner.
Cost and term ALWAYS needs to be factored in to determine whether it’s a good signing or not, sticking your head in the sand achieves nothing………..

It's going to be funny to see all of the grunts lay it on the line while the players that get paid, all of the ice time, and everything else are afraid to break a nail.
The Leafs biggest problem in a nutshell……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Our defense got better, but older.

Goaltending is still a question, but has a lot of potential

Lost scoring in Bertuzzi 20 goals... Not been replaced yet. Also I thought Robertson was gonna be a 20 goal lock. He's also on the way out.
I’ve been reading the big Finn’s knee is cooked, many think he’ll never play another game so there’s one negative. Another is resigning Lilly, if he isn’t trade bait that was a stupid move. Thirdly I predict OEL is going to disappoint, maybe I’m wrong on this one, time will tell? I like Tanev, here’s hoping he doesn’t breakdown or get injured………

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Landeskog will LTIR. And I bet that something similar to the Mike Richards situation will happen with Nichushkin will happen.

But yes, you're right about the current problem. I had forgotten about Nuke.

I think he is saying he is coming back. So they can’t spend their money and they come back in February

Well, Chicago is on Lake Michigan, I guess there’s a need for a boat anchor……….

I bet Brodie turns it around.
He was a great D man. His father died and his wife has MS.

It’s tough.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Looking at TJ’s deal, the OEL deal looks good
OEL isn’t afraid of his own shadow, so we got that going for us……..

I think he is saying he is coming back. So they can’t spend their money and they come back in February

I bet Brodie turns it around.
He was a great D man. His father died and his wife has MS.

It’s tough.
He’s toast, if my wife was sick and I’d lost my father I’d be physically taking it out on the opposition, Brodie…..not so much……

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
2M for Desharnais is insane from Vancouver. It's just 2 years. I really don't see how he plays up to that... he's probably an interesting bottom pair guy but oof.
It's a two way deal so not much risk
Besides Foote and Gonchar saw some things that they think they can fix. He's also a late bloomer, big and mean and an excellent pker.
I have complete faith in this staff, they had huge impacts on every d except Cole and the work alone on Myers and Juulson, speaks volumes. Our group is absolutely massive and physical.

This entire team is being built around the mantra of its coaches and considering how soft the last great core was I'm loving it.

The d won't score a lot of points but they are gonna be very hard to play against
Even the forwards added today are all fast and physical. Quinn apparently is happiest about Sherwood who according to Quinn pissed of the entire team with his hitting and style of play.

Best of luck on the upcoming season.

Reactions: KMNRB and aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad