Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Teams aren't built in free agency, it's fools gold. Trading and drafting is the way, overpaying vets or bargain bin hunting isn't the solution.
Free Agency should be used to insulate. This is what they've done. Outside of Tavares, their whole core is drafted and developed internally. Adding veterans and depth from outside is a good thing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Vegas fans saying that they are expecting a Marner for Roy plus Theo deal.
They just signed korczak and said he is a top 6 every day player for them

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

The numbers with Marner for those players works exactly.

I just don’t think that’s what we need now

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.

Yeah I don’t see it

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
At the season's ending press conference, he said there would be changes, and so far they have only shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic. And that has gone on for 8 years with no better results !!!

okay. let me help you out here.

You want Pelley to force Shanahan and Treliving to do major changes to the core.
I would ask "What major change?"
You are going to exclamation point that Marner should be gone already IMHO." fine. that's been established.

you seem to have in your head - that it doesn't matter that Marner has no move clause. let me tell you that you are wrong and that it does matter. because it means. THEY. CAN NOT. DO. ANYTHING. Several people have commented on this today to you. You keep saying "they need to find a way." What's that way? Lock Mitch in the basement and Chinese Water Torture him? Tell him he's not playing a minute at all with the Leafs and he'll be in the pressbox? Forget about what they should have done last year, but focus on the two months Pelley has been here. Tell me realistically what Pelley could have done to get Marner to waive something that he doesn't have to do.

Who out there did you want the Leafs to require - knowing because it was reported. that a good chunk of the defensive UFAs this year did not want to play in Canada period. How was Pelley forcing Treliving/Shanahan to make real changes supposed to overcome that hurdle?

he said change will happen. getting pissed off because the change didn't happen within two month and pouting because a player with a NMC clause is still here is a bit childish if you ask me

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.
Don't see Theo coming our way.

I do actually see MM, Timmins to Vegas for Pietra and Roy plus 1st rounder

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I see all these trade proposals with Timmins but I don’t think he has any value. He’s going to end up on waivers and in the minors.
While definitely not expecting anything much at all, I'd still hope that an affordable RHD would have some value beyond simply being waiver wire fodder.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.

It could make sense but Theodore being a left handed D, the appeal goes down quite a bit. And his extension will be pretty big I assume, probably in the Hanifin price range at the minimum.

Reactions: Sypher04

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
was just browsing twitter and saw this Gm1 of the season. Holy crap LMAO :laugh:

GRcx5JgXgAEkzoI

Reactions: phillipmike

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.

Might have made sense before OEL/Lily signed.

Now? I'm not so sure.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You think it’s the fans fault there’s unhappiness with a team that has won 1 round of playoff hockey since 2004?

The State of Florida has won 4 Stanley Cups and been to 7 finals in that time for reference. And you think it’s the fans. No I don’t think it’s the fans.

I've been following this team since the late 90's (missed the Wendel/Dougie teams) and every single star player we've ever had received hate from the fanbase for a large part of their tenure. From Sundin to Kaberle to Kessel to the guys we have now.

Granted, maybe it's the same everywhere.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021

Hannafin. Petro
Theo. Whitecloud
Hague. Korczak
Mcnabb

Rielly. Tanev
McCabe. Theo
Oel. Lilly
Benoit. Hakanpa?

That seems too much.

Not really interested in anything Vegas has to offer.

My main priority would be getting a 2C back in a trade for Marner.

Reactions: KMNRB

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Kampf for Gourde could make sense for both teams. Seattle has 9.2M to sign Beniers and Tolvanen. They should be able to make that work but it could get tight. Seattle has a surplus of top 9 C's now with Stephenson in the mix and Wright being ready to move up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Vegas would be interesting if Pietra, Roy plus picks are coming our way for MM and Timmins.
Won't count out Utah either, as they want to make splash but didnt really do it today.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Lehkonen for Liljegren might make sense for both teams. Lehkonen 3 years from UFA, Liljegren 2. Colorado needs to shed cap and they need a 3RD. LW is a position of strength if Landeskog comes back. Lehkonen has strong numbers in the playoffs (with Colorado) which I assume would be enticing to Treliving.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I think the sizzle is off this Maple Leafs build because of repeat playoff humiliations with no sign the core guys have matured in any way whatsoever. So if you're a forward hoping to bandwagon on a Maple Leafs top six role you know you're in a revolving door contract, get scapegoated for the core guys failures and you're on the road again just like that. Seems like that last batch of good guys in ROR and Schenn really didn't like what they saw. And I don't blame them. I don't like either.
For the record I know someone who is pretty close to O’Rielly. He says the rumours aren’t true. He was considering coming back but one thing he didn’t like was that the dressing room wasn’t for the players. There were always suits around and it took away from the team. I am sure there were other reasons as well but that was a big one.

Reactions: Stephen
Oct 18, 2010

Kampf for Gourde could make sense for both teams. Seattle has 9.2M to sign Beniers and Tolvanen. They should be able to make that work but it could get tight. Seattle has a surplus of top 9 C's now with Stephenson in the mix and Wright being ready to move up.

Gourde is significantly better than Kampf and part of their leadership. I can't see it but that would be a complete fleece

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Gourde is significantly better than Kampf and part of their leadership. I can't see it but that would be a complete fleece
He is absolutely a better player but of there top 9 C's (Beniers, Wright, Stephenson, McCann, Gourde) he's the most likely to move. They could use the cap space to sign Beniers long-term. Kampf would be their 4C over Kartye. It would be mutually beneficial.

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He is absolutely a better player but of there top 9 C's (Beniers, Wright, Stephenson, McCann, Gourde) he's the most likely to move. They could use the cap space to sign Beniers long-term. Kampf would be their 4C over Kartye. It would be mutually beneficial.
You're reasoning definitely makes sense to me. Im sold

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would have been an almost perfect ufa period if not for the lily signing.

It's possible Tre wasn't confident in signing Hakanpää and wanted insurance. At this point package lily + Robertson + Kampf for picks/players.

Jesus, we signed a 25 year old RD who was having a breakout season until his high ankle sprain for 3M

There's worse ways of investing 3M and if he plays like he did for portions of last season its going to be an absolute bargain

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Trotz is trying to add scoring in Nashville this off-season. Their top 5 wingers are all right shots now (Forsberg, Nyquist, Stamkos, Marchessault, Evangelista). It might be time to revisit Robertson for Tomasino. Trotz has shown that size isn’t a concern by going after Marchessault - he may be open to Robertson. Their current 3LW is Jankowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad