Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Urge to Frenzy…fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Lindholm and Zadorov were big-time playoff performers in Vancouver, but a big part of me hopes they do a face-plant in Boston.

And there's a chance that could happen. Bruins are relying on Lindholm to be their No. 1 center. But it's still a debate whether he can carry that expectation. As or Zadorov, he's a 5-6 d-man on most teams. And would probably have been in that role for the Canucks. But $5m a season is far too much for a guy in that role.
Pastrnak will carry Lindholm, Pavel Zacha put up 59 points in 78 games thanks to Pastrnak.

Very good chance that Lindholm falls ass backward into a 60+ point season

Zadorov fits the Bruins defensive system beautifully, he fit in well here too, Bruins defensive system relies heavily on boxing out, they're more than okay with giving up perimeter shots that their goalies can see.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lindholm next to Pastrnak with PP1 versus Lindholm as 3c going forward in VAN on PP2… the outcomes from a production standpoint are going to be vastly different

Anyways, with Joshua signed long term, I do think there’s an interesting…

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood
whatever - Blueger - whatever

.. lineup. Hoglander Suter Lafferty worked really well early last season and Sherwood is a better player.

Would imagine they go straight to

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Podkolzin/PDG - Aman/Smith - Sherwood

Buuut I do think that first group is a very interesting pivot.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Draft table has let the Wings down.

Rasmussen vs Necas/Suzuki
Zadina vs Hughes
Danielson vs Benson/Yager
Kasper vs Mintyukov/McGroarty/Lekkerimaki
Edvinsson vs Clarke/Guenther
Svechnikov vs Konecny/Boeser

So many low upside gambles with size vs higher ranked talents that may be a bit smaller but more skilled with higher upsides

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A few months after Eichel was traded he was handing out bloated contracts to Copp and Chiarot.

There have also been other impact players moved. Detroit hasn't found any of them.

In October of 2021 they had Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Rasmussen, Hronek as U25 regulars. By April 2024 ... it was the same group minus Hronek. That franchise has literally gone nowhere for the last couple years as they've accumulated bad contracts.

And as BES said, they've picked all low-upside bets unlike what Florida has done. You aren't going to get good value from giving Copp and Compher $11 million. It was a bet you couldn't win.

Those were floor bets that hovered around expectations. No surplus value, but still tradeable assets.

The Eichel criticism is one you could make of every GM in the league, including Benning. He could have dealt Horvat for Eichel. He chose not to and now he's gone.

I think the YzerPlan is a warning: If you advance the rebuild/retool too quickly, you sacrifice your ceiling. We're seeing this play out in real time. And yes, he hasn't executed on a big enough swing, but the Eichel/Tkachuk type swing is a rare event regardless. No GM should bank on hitting on that rarity to turn things around.

@mriswith Has the right of it here, imo.

Reactions: Chiripa20

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
i don't think bear can be traded right now. isn't he in the player assistance program?

even if he could be traded he'd be an issue for vancouver if he returns (assuming they don't want to play him and i doubt tocchet or foote would really be interested given how little they used friedman) as his contract can't be completely buried and they couldn't even move him to ltir like they have the option to do with poolman

poolman being moved for bad money only really helps vancouver if they intend to use the player they get back and they can replace someone like desharnais or heinen that are making money comparable to poolman
No Bear. Please.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Who is advocating for a scorched earth rebuild? It certainly isn't what Zito did.
The Wings were neck deep in a scorched earth rebuild at the time Eichel was demanding a trade. They finished with 39 points in 2020.

You're arguing that they should be better faster with more elite talent because they should have gotten Eichel.

That means you're arguing that a year and a half after taking over a completely barren roster and farm it was time to trade a big stack of futures and exit the rebuild.

Not sure what you are arguing here. Ekblad has significantly regressed due to injury and age - without Zito unearthing Forsling there simply isn't a Cup in Florida. This to me is an argument in favor of his management style, and not an example of him getting lucky.
I like Zito's management style and I think he's the best GM in the league.

As miraculous as his turnaround of that team was, he did it with a young 1C in place and they weren't at the start of a scorched earth rebuild with nothing but liabilities on the roster, no farm and no elite talent, which was the position Yzerman started from.

.... Wait are you arguing that Yzerman should have gone Zito style from day 1 in 2019? Have you taken a look at the state of that franchise when he took it over?

Is that the biggest issue? Are the Red Wings primarily being held back by Larkin being slightly less than elite? I don't think so. Fundamentally, the Panthers roster without Barkov is miles better than the Red Wings roster without Larkin.
Are you literally comparing them side by side as if their starting positions were comparable? I find this hard to believe. And even if they were, which they aren't, Zito's transformation of the panthers is easily the most impressive GM'ing in the cap era. It would be insane to hold what he did as the expectation for any other team and it seems like you're holding Zito's panthers as the bar for success or failure.

It depends on what you think the problem is. It seems like if they had convincingly made the playoffs this year a lot of people would have been impressed and changed their tune but it wouldn't have changed my opinion at all.

People also think he should have more elite young talent by now which, given that they got screwed by the lottery and there was no elite forward talent picked anywhere near their draft positions, was literally impossible

I think the problem is that there isn't a clear path to winning a cup for them. Franchise C's win cups and they don't have one. Even with all of Zito's brilliance, Florida doesn't win a cup without Barkov. DRW exited the rebuild without one and that was a huge mistake, but this is never the issue that Yzerman haters have.

I doubt even Zito would have done what he did if Barkov wasn't in Florida when he took over and if Yzerman had got Byfield or Stutzle in 2020, which he should have, we might have seen a very different set of moves. Like I think the entire reason he exited the rebuild in 2022 was to improve so Larkin would sign, and my opinion was reinforced when he immediately turned around and traded Hronek after Larkin extended. But if he had one of those two young C's in place he wouldn't have had to fear losing Larkin as much as he did and maybe takes a different course of action.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Lindholm next to Pastrnak with PP1 versus Lindholm as 3c going forward in VAN on PP2… the outcomes from a production standpoint are going to be vastly different

Anyways, with Joshua signed long term, I do think there’s an interesting…

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood
whatever - Blueger - whatever

.. lineup. Hoglander Suter Lafferty worked really well early last season and Sherwood is a better player.

Would imagine they go straight to

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Podkolzin/PDG - Aman/Smith - Sherwood

Buuut I do think that first group is a very interesting pivot.
Heinen gonna play.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It depends on the LD - if it's good enough, potentially it can anchor the second pairing. If Vancouver is able to add someone like Sanheim or Gavrikov partway through the year, that would be an extremely strong blueline.

Honestly, D depth is overrated. As I mentioned earlier, the D as it stands today is better than either blueline that just played in the Cup finals. It's also substantially better than any blueline Rutherford ever won a Cup with, in Carolina or Pittsburgh.

D depth can be overrated if you have the forward corps to hide it. Do the Canucks have that forward corps? The Oilers do and they are odds on favourite to win the division at present.

To level off that relative advantage for the Oilers, the Canucks need a Sanheim/Gavrikov/Pettersson level 2nd pair LHD. Plus, they have to hope EDM doesn't get a similar upgrade to their D corps. Possible. Maybe even probable if the Oilers have cap issues.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I see alot keep going back to fwd upgrades. I mean, is that even necessary at this point? Really, the d is pretty hard to look at right now, and that should be first thing they work at if they want to.

Think fwds are fine, gotta see the team play together to know if they need another piece or not. I am so against even thinking about trying to move pcs now to supposedly upgrade while tacking on a 1st to do so. Wtf u gonna do if the fwd doesn't gel here and u just lost Ur biggest bullet to use when tdl comes?

It's really nice outside guys, go find peace, lol. It's a long offseason, y'all giving yourselves migraines going ard in circles on it haha. Enjoy the summer!

Is it that hard to look at?

Did we lose to Oilers in seven due to a weak blue line (one without Demko rather a third stringer in net), or lack of quality offensive depth and shot generation.

Reactions: calnuck

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Tkachuk had a 6 team trade list including franchises like St. Louis and Nasshville. I could easily see a more promising Red Wings roster appealing to him. I think you're really reaching for excuses - a year and a half is plenty of time for an aggressive rebuilt to harvest assets. Yzerman went through two full offseasons and drafts before Eichel hit the market.

No, Zito added Forsling, his #1 defenseman. And if your argument that a $10M Bobrovsky any team would be desparate to dump is some kind of amazing asset he was lucky to inherit ... what a f***ing joke.
The NTC was irrelevant. The Tkachuk trade was a trade and sign and his value to the acquiring team would be that he would sign an 8 year extension with them. I have major doubts he would sign a long term extension with a shit team in a shit city.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Is it that hard to look at?

Did we lose to Oilers in seven due to a weak blue line (one without Demko rather a third stringer in net), or lack of quality offensive depth and shot generation.
Do you feel that this blue line is equivalent to that blue line?

Are you insinuating we are not currently deeper up front than we were then? Who did we lose and what did we gain? So many questions

Also, shots generated are a product of the system, not the players. It's already been stated they were looking for quality shots over quantity so that's a moot point. If they wanna fire off 35 shots a game on net I'm sure it could be done w the players they have and had last yr.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Also, shots generated are a product of the system, not the players. It's already been stated they were looking for quality shots over quantity so that's a moot point. If they wanna fire off 35 shots a game on net I'm sure it could be done w the players they have and had last yr.

This isn't really accurate. We were having trouble generating chances because of a lack of options offensively. Didn't help that Pettersson was messed up.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'll bet now that our 1st Rd pick goes at the TDL for a top-4 defenceman.

The risk is that Hughes and Hronek get overplayed and worn down.

Still there's lots of time between now and preseason.
I have a feeling they won't need to go that route as they can probably still sign a bargain bin offensive guy and or wait for Willander or maybe even EP 2.0 to emerge.

I still think that they might need an elite sniper or more skilled player to play with EP40 but time will tell.

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
I have a feeling they won't need to go that route as they can probably still sign a bargain bin offensive guy and or wait for Willander or maybe even EP 2.0 to emerge.

I still think that they might need an elite sniper or more skilled player to play with EP40 but time will tell.
I doubt D Petey emerges as a top 4 this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I doubt D Petey emerges as a top 4 this year.
Ya I doubt that too but he might be able to be a Broberg type if needed in the playoffs.

IMO there is a ton riding on the development of Willander this year.

What would it take to pry Jiricek out of Columbus? Would love to have him developing under Gonchar's Foote.
Too much for us but I'm super high on Jircek and would trade Lettermaki+ for him.

Not sure what Canucks management thinks though.

Reactions: Flik

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
I'll bet now that our 1st Rd pick goes at the TDL for a top-4 defenceman.

The risk is that Hughes and Hronek get overplayed and worn down.

Still there's lots of time between now and preseason.
I'd love to go get werenski from CBJ. They're just wasting him there. Severson would be a nice consolation prize but how is his contract situation?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Ya I doubt that too but he might be able to be a Broberg type if needed in the playoffs.

IMO there is a ton riding on the development of Willander this year.

Too much for us but I'm super high on Jircek and would trade Lettermaki+ for him.

Not sure what Canucks management thinks though.
There is like a 1% chance EP turns into a Broberg in the playoffs.

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Draft table has let the Wings down.

Rasmussen vs Necas/Suzuki
Zadina vs Hughes
Danielson vs Benson/Yager
Kasper vs Mintyukov/McGroarty/Lekkerimaki
Edvinsson vs Clarke/Guenther
Svechnikov vs Konecny/Boeser

So many low upside gambles with size vs higher ranked talents that may be a bit smaller but more skilled with higher upsides
The wings used to draft based on skating ability. Now they're just dart throwing I feel. Aside from kasper, the players on the right are far better skaters than the ones on the left.

There is like a 1% chance EP turns into a Broberg in the playoffs.
Agreed. I thought broberg was one of Edmontons best players for them in the finals. Mcdavid, maybe bouchard and broberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad