Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Can anyone explain to me those half a minute late offside flags?
The idea is that they don’t signal right away in case the play was onside, and if a goal results it can be checked by VAR.

In practice it almost always ends up with the flag going up after a decent amount of play that was never going to count, and during which players could get injured.

Reactions: kudymen

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I can't think of a single player in the world who plays defense with which I'm starting a PK with. Especially not in a scenario like Brazil has.

These (general) people will always make me scratch my head.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I can't think of a single player in the world who plays defense with which I'm starting a PK with. Especially not in a scenario like Brazil has.

These (general) people will always make me scratch my head.

Sergio Ramos aha. Still playing and one of the best... and I say that as someone who hates his guts. Albeit he always bottled it for Spain lmao despite basically never missing for club.

I believe only Toney, Haaland, Lewandowski and Fernandes in active top flight football have a better conversion rate.

But yeh, not many.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Sergio Ramos aha. Still playing and one of the best... and I say that as someone who hates his guts. Albeit he always bottled it for Spain lmao despite basically never missing for club.

I believe only Toney, Haaland, Lewandowski and Fernandes in active top flight football have a better conversion rate.

But yeh, not many.

Yeah. The generational defender can go in that list, i guess haha. Even then, does he traditionally go first?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I honestly wouldnt have imagined that 3rd is the traditional "highest pressure", but I guess it makes sense.

Obviously it's all situational based on each round result but I'd have never expected that to be the pressure cooker.

Historically the best penalty taker went first... "getting off to a good start" was always seen as the best idea and having best taker there as a result... but a lot of coaches started to realise that the first penalty is kind of the least pressure (and actually it is the one most likely to go in even when adjust for quality of shooter, like ~5% more chance, guess some being pressure, some being goalies not kind of in rhythm etc) and also that so often shoot-outs were decided by the later penalties.

Soooo then a lot of coaches had the best taker 5th as the shootout going to 9-10 penalties is most "common" outcome and therefore the last guy has most chance to win it. BUT as stats have become even more prevalent? Well, 20% of shoot-outs never make it to the 5th penalty so putting your best guy there is kind of dumb and reduces odds of winning.

So then quite a lot of teams put their best taker 3rd or 4th.

Lampard started career going 1st then often went 3rd later in career.
Ramos went 3rd or 4th for Real.
Saka goes 3rd for Arsenal.
Ronaldo when at United usually went 3rd or 4th.
Aguero always went 3rd or 4th.

But it depends. Lewandowski always liked going 1st. Messi too.
Guardiola favours the old-school best taker goes 1st too... he has always put his best guy 1st... aside from Aguero who always seemed to want to go later.

Probably the most statistically sensible spot for your best taker depends on if go 1st or 2nd.

1st? Probably 4th in the order.
2nd? Probably 3rd in the order.

Just to ensure they dont get stranded.

But ofc some players have a preference too and so long as they dont go 5th coaches should probably just let them go where they want.

Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad