Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Marner trade is less likely because our offense has already taken a hit this summer. All of the top free agents are gone, so not like we have fall back option with the freed up money

Unless the Marner trade brings back multiple forward pieces, makes no sense to trade him now or else we really gonna have problems offensively
I hear you... But we have problems offensively every single playoff series lol.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We'll see by October but downgrading heavily on Chychrun and adding Perron and Amadio doesn't do much of anything to make up over 20 points in the standings at the bare minimum they will need. Grabbing Ullmark was very good though. Should be able to compete a little more without awful goaltending. Maybe they sneak into a wild card spot but I'd be surprised if they weren't fodder again.
I have swapping Korpisalo for Ullmark worth 14 points. Korpisalo worth -1 points, Ullmark worth 13. Chychrun is a 1 point upgrade on Jensen. Neither player were that good last year. Perron and Amadio will be part of a very good 3rd line that will give them 3 great lines.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anaheim is 8M under the cap floor. And they didn't sign a single free agent today.

Can we dump Kampf on them?

Nick Robertson is a California kid too, maybe there's a match there

No idea what the hell they are doing. At least Chicago and SJS are adding, making moves and trying to somewhat competitive, even if it's not likely this season.

If they need higher salary players, not sure Robertson makes much sense. Kampf might make some sense for them though for like a 2026 pick or something. I think they'll just wait for a few teams to dump them some players.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Ottawa wins the summer every year, and then loses the fall every year. Ullmark will not be able to maintain his numbers in Ottawa, and Perron, Amadio and Jensen are depth guys who will do fine, but collectively I don't think they will move the needle for Ottawa.
They've never been near this good on paper. They've never been projected to make the playoffs by any model. This year they're projected as a lock.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
On D we are probably done aside from a veteranish #8 d man that goes in the AHL, and comes up in case of injuries, and clearing up space with a Timmins trade.

Up front, I have to think we'll add a top 9ish forward and another bottom 6 forward all though thats likely just Dewer.

Goalies we are done
Honestly we need Robertson to resign there's your top 9 LW

I'd offer him a cheap one year deal and tell him if he perform so we can move him

Reactions: aingefan

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yep and they have stars that are worth bangswagoning. Look at Perry, Henrique both re-signing vs ROR taking the first flight to Nashville. Star led culture matters. It’s not good here in Toronto.

I don't think it's the stars, I think it's the fans.

You've been here long enough - when has this fanbase ever been satisfied with its stars for more than a brief spell?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I really like the changes on D (including not overpaying for Boosh and Edmundson).

But the forward group is virtually the same and costs even more than it did last year. I really hope we move on from Marner ("big changes" right?), but as has gone with this franchise over the last several decades, I can't even see the current management group asking him to waive, let alone try to move him.

We will see how the off-season proceeds (day 1 is barely in the books). But man oh man. It feels like no one in the league besides Domi wants to play for the crest on the jersey without an exorbitant salary and/or NMC/NTC. Rather sad if you ask me.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Damn Oilers got Henrique at a great price .. wonder why Tre wasn't into that. Maybe he didn't want to come to Toronto.
Sometimes for a player the fit is just too good and you don't really want to go elsewhere if the feeling is mutual with the team.

Oilers are $2.5 million over the cap and still have to sign Broberg and Holloway.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You've been here long enough - when has this fanbase ever been satisfied with its stars for more than a brief spell?

You think it’s the fans fault there’s unhappiness with a team that has won 1 round of playoff hockey since 2004?

The State of Florida has won 4 Stanley Cups and been to 7 finals in that time for reference. And you think it’s the fans. No I don’t think it’s the fans.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

You literally have playoffs after playoffs McDavid and Draisaitl play their assess off, leave everything on the ice, and actually pull that shit team across series wins. Happens multiple times, eventually it works and you get players wanting to go there because they believe in these two.

When have Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Marner done this? They haven't. Now we are seeing the opposite effect - Toronto is being avoided unless you overpay and/or include a NMC/NTC in the deal.

I guess we can start to fix this reputation next year when JT and Marner are off the books.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Leafs roster additions projected over the entire contract vs. actual values via doms model at the athletic:

Stolarz:
Signed: 2.5x2
Projected: 3.4x2

OEL:
Signed: 3.5x4
Projected: 3.2x4

Tanev:
Signed: 4.5x6
Projected: 4.0x6

Woll:
Signed: 3.66x3
Projected: 5.8x3

Liljegren:
Signed: 3.0x2
Projected: 6.2x2

Domi:
Signed: 3.75x4
Projected: 3.3x4

Didnt see anything for the other addiitons.

Pretty solid day overall that fills almost all the holes.
If a model is predicting Lilijgren a #5/6D to be more valuable than domi our top 6 winger than the model is f***ed sadly

Dom has some of the worse takes generally with consistent tendancy to overstate the value that a player with as low IQ as Lilijgren

The goalies that might be the upside but major downside risk still there with injuries, up & down play and limited sample of playing backup level starts for both

Tanev is around where he should be, OEL whatever as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad