Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Tarasenko - J.T Compher - P. Kane

Not terrible tbh

The D still is bad tho even with Seider and Edvinsson lol

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Damn, was hoping the Ducks got him. Thought he would resign with the Panthers.

Ducks are on an entire level of ass when leftover UFAs prefer to sign with other ass teams, and Ducks trade have to trade for the ass teams ass players to even reach the cap floor. OMFG.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
15 years is an insanely long time lol
Detroit was truly in the basement in 2019-20. They got the #4 overall pick LOL. Fortunately Lucas Raymond looks to be one of the absolute best players from that draft. He was Detroit's only top 5 pick over the past 34 years and they aren't getting another top 5 pick for at least 15 more.

Still have one of the top prospect pools in the entire NHL. No one is patient and that's how we win.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
That doesn't really sound like a path to sustained success (i.e. cups) to me, but I'm hardly an expert

Obviously downplaying the hopes of the fan base a bit but improving year after year in wins and points is a positive trend. Can't ask for much more out of a rebuild unless your impatient. If the prospects hit, it's a success and they start taking larger steps shortly.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I like this. The question people should be asking is what is the Redwings' window?

With Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, SPA, Buium, Wallinder, Cossa and more, it isn't next year or likely the year after, which is also when Chiarot, Holl and others come off the books. The actual Detroit competitive window starts in 2 years and anything before that is a bonus.
The “Be A GM” Generation doesn’t understand how young players need to come into the NHL, surrounded by, and have the chance to play meaningful hockey with talented players.

It’s an enormous advantage to have your young players enter the NHL, able to play with good NHL players instead of journeymen. Look what Buffalo, Columbus and Ottawa have done for decades. Ruining young players after young players.

There’s a reason Ottawa is doing what Detroit’s doing now. I know it doesn’t balance with the “Stat Chasing” generation but it equals more success at the end of the day.

The fact these people don’t even understand this is an actual “thing” many managers subscribe to, shows you how out of touch some fans have become. You still have to play games and seasons, while all the young talent you’ve acquired develops. You can’t just SIM reality.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Honest question... do you think Seider and Raymond are behind where they should be at their stage of development?
Tarasenko is a good signing, not a home run, say if somehow Yzerman got Guentzel to sign a 9*7, or Duchene from last year to a 3*3 would be what my idea of a big brain "Yzerplan" move.

Seider regressed a little, but both of them are good, but not hyper-value pieces consider that they are #4 and #6 picks. All of the other picks from Seider's draft onward are picks thats decent, not home runs, the lack of non first rounders sticking is glaring though, thanks to signing all these UFAs, possibly blocking their path forward? The talk about him not shopping guys like Hronek and Walman to other GMs first is also worrying.

Im not a Yzerman hater, more like an observer thats readjusting my evaluation of him in my opinion of an elite GM.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Tarasenko is a good signing, not a home run, say if somehow Yzerman got Guentzel to sign a 9*7, or Duchene from last year to a 3*3 would be what my idea of a big brain "Yzerplan" move.

Seider regressed a little, but both of them are good, but not hyper-value pieces consider that they are #4 and #6 picks. All of the other picks from Seider's draft onward are picks thats decent, not home runs, the lack of non first rounders sticking is glaring though, thanks to signing all these UFAs, possibly blocking their path forward? The talk about him not shopping guys like Hronek and Walman to other GMs first is also worrying.

Im not a Yzerman hater, more like an observer thats readjusting my evaluation of him in my opinion of an elite GM.

Which is insane.

Because if you pull your head out of your ass about “SIX YEARS NO PLAYOFFS!” You’ll see that the Wings went from a capped out mess with no talent at the NHL level in 2019 to a team that is now flexible enough that the team could be entirely different two years from now, a scorched earth AHL system now has multiple high caliber players at each position, and a team that has continually been improving in the standings.

No, he isn’t some magic wizard that just blinks and makes them Cup favorites. He didn’t even do that in Tampa. It was five years from when he got that job to them making the Cup finals v. Chicago and that was starting with a near rookie Stamkos and near rookie Hedman as a 1C and 1D, landing Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, swindling Detroit to land the pick that became Vasilevskiy, and some ridiculously lucky picks (Kucherov who became a Hart winner, Ondrej Palat out of the 7th, Brayden Point out of the 3rd and Tyler Johnson off the UDFA). And hell, for all of his fortune and hard work.. Tampa never won a cup until he was already Detroit’s GM

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
You could look at this season as part of a multi-year project that started in the basement

Either way, they are a non-playoff team desperate to take the next step.
I don’t think desperate is the right word.

It’s a team that has improved every year since they were given the “OK” by ownership to finally tear it down and rebuild.

No lottery draft luck.

No grand prize #1OA McDavid like pick to help jump start the rebuild.

This is a team improving with the sole importance of creating a winning culture and providing mentorship for its young players.

The signings of Kane and Tarasenko help provide insulation for the younger players, while also giving a starving fan base something to cheer about while we all wait patiently for our young players to develop into pros.

Kane and Tarasenko will be long gone before this team is contending again. Think of them as current placeholders for whom is to come.

Lots of idiots posting in this thread (don’t think you are one of them, your comment was just the easiest to reply to) who go for teams who are just happy to be mediocre and make the playoffs every odd year. This isn’t what Yzerman is trying to provide.

This team is being built to be a powerhouse for years to come as it was in the 90s to ~2012. Patience is needed for this to happen. Detroit literally had empty cupboards when Yzerman took over and he’s rebuilt from the bottom up. So far so good.

Seems to be a little too hard for some people to understand though. I know in the case of an Oiler fan; you guys are just worrying about your own issues: wasting the prime of McDavid and Drai and not winning anything during their window. So I don’t really expect you or any other fan base to be following the slow development of the wings… but the idiotic comments have become humorous.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t think desperate is the right word.

It’s a team that has improved every year since they were given the “OK” by ownership to finally tear it down and rebuild.

No lottery draft luck.

No grand prize #1OA McDavid like pick to help jump start the rebuild.

This is a team improving with the sole importance of creating a winning culture and providing mentorship for its young players.

The signings of Kane and Tarasenko help provide insulation for the younger players, while also giving a starving fan base something to cheer about while we all wait patiently for our young players to develop into pros.

Kane and Tarasenko will be long gone before this team is contending again. Think of them as current placeholders for whom is to come.

Lots of idiots posting in this thread (don’t think you are one of them, your comment was just the easiest to reply to) who go for teams who are just happy to be mediocre and make the playoffs every odd year. This isn’t what Yzerman is trying to provide.

This team is being built to be a powerhouse for years to come as it was in the 90s to ~2012. Patience is needed for this to happen. Detroit literally had empty cupboards when Yzerman took over and he’s rebuilt from the bottom up. So far so good.

Seems to be a little too hard for some people to understand though. I know in the case of an Oiler fan; you guys are just worrying about your own issues: wasting the prime of McDavid and Drai and not winning anything during their window. So I don’t really expect you or any other fan base to be following the slow development of the wings… but the idiotic comments have become humorous.
I agree with this as a basic layout of the Wings. I didn't mean "desperate" as a negative necessarily. I definitely think that the Oilers have been desperate for a long time, and most teams trying to find the next step are.

My point was really just that there have been a lot of great UFAs going to non playoff teams, and that it's noteworthy as a cap reality. Interestingly you bring up the 90s and 2000s Wings. Teams like that one are why I find the modern reality so noteworthy. We don't have these super teams like that anymore. We have cup contenders like Tampa having to ship players out, and UFAs like Tarasenko going to up and coming teams rather than contenders

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s funny when we talk about the video game folks too. Where else did this “5 year” thing come from on a rebuild? This team was literally empty of talent. Nothing to trade and 1-2 ok prospects. That was 5 years ago. Now they have one of the top prospect systems in the league.

Look at every single contender and ask yourself how long did it take them? Then ask yourself how long it took without winning lotteries and having 3-4 Top 3 picks?

Edmonton with all their lottery luck, is over a decade in before they became a contender. With the best player in the world even.

Florida took 20 years. Buffalo, Columbus and Ottawa are still 10-20 years into their rebuilds.

Leafs? 15-20 years. Colorado with lottery help too. What? 12 years? Where is NJ in their rebuild? 10+ years into it.

It’s just funny when someone says “5 years” is time for results. That’s if you’re a GM taking over a team who’s trying to hit another level. Well within the process. A Buffalo or Ottawa who had a bunch of young talent already.

Detroit was literally empty after 25 years of success. They had nothing to trade for high picks and nothing of real value in the system. Basically Rasmussen, Berggren and Veleno.

Anyone who thought this wasn’t taking 7-10 years, just isn’t being logical at all. Doing it with only ONE Top 5 pick (#4), they’re ahead of schedule. They’re doing it the right way without lottery help. You build on the back-end. Now they have a handful of really good forward prospects too. But like Carolina, they chose to do it with Dmen, and this team is trending to have a great blue line. You have to let them develop though…. Or you will ruin them.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I agree with this as a basic layout of the Wings. I didn't mean "desperate" as a negative necessarily. I definitely think that the Oilers have been desperate for a long time, and most teams trying to find the next step are.

My point was really just that there have been a lot of great UFAs going to non playoff teams, and that it's noteworthy as a cap reality. Interestingly you bring up the 90s and 2000s Wings. Teams like that one are why I find the modern reality so noteworthy. We don't have these super teams like that anymore. We have cup contenders like Tampa having to ship players out, and UFAs like Tarasenko going to up and coming teams rather than contenders
The modern way is a lot harder and requires more patience than back in the day where you have a couple of super stars and a rich owner to buy more super stars.

Building through the draft is the way of success. It’s the present way and the future way.

What Tampa did this offseason was ruthless to some, but an excellent business decision on ditching Stamkos and replacing him with Guentzel. Will be interesting to follow that story throughout the year and see all the comparisons between the two of them.

As for Edmonton, 1 game away. Will be back next year without a doubt and as a fellow Canadian, I’ll definitely have my fingers crossed for them to make it to the end and win it (unless by some miracle it’s against Detroit)

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It’s funny when we talk about the video game folks too. Where else did this “5 year” thing come from on a rebuild? This team was literally empty of talent. Nothing to trade and 1-2 ok prospects. That was 5 years ago. Now they have one of the top prospect systems in the league.

Look at every single contender and ask yourself how long did it take them? Then ask yourself how long it took without winning lotteries and having 3-4 Top 3 picks?

Edmonton with all their lottery luck, is over a decade in before they became a contender. With the best player in the world even.

Florida took 20 years. Buffalo, Columbus and Ottawa are still 10-20 years into their rebuilds.

Leafs? 15-20 years. Colorado with lottery help too. What? 12 years? Where is NJ in their rebuild? 10+ years into it.

It’s just funny when someone says “5 years” is time for results. That’s if you’re a GM taking over a team who’s trying to hit another level. Well within the process. A Buffalo or Ottawa who had a bunch of young talent already.

Detroit was literally empty after 25 years of success. They had nothing to trade for high picks and nothing of real value in the system. Basically Rasmussen, Berggren and Veleno.

Anyone who thought this wasn’t taking 7-10 years, just isn’t being logical at all. Doing it with only ONE Top 5 pick (#4), they’re ahead of schedule. They’re doing it the right way without lottery help. You build on the back-end. Now they have a handful of really good forward prospects too. But like Carolina, they chose to do it with Dmen, and this team is trending to have a great blue line. You have to let them develop though…. Or you will ruin them.
Thank you !!!!!!!!!

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Florida took 20 years.

Not really. Bill Zito took everything the guys before him did -- except for Barkov, Ekblad, Bobrovsky -- and threw it in the garbage. Traded away all the picks, prospects, and players that had been signed by Tallon and the computer boys, replacing them mostly with guys who were developed in other organizations.

Florida was torn down and reassembled in three years.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not really. Bill Zito took everything the guys before him did -- except for Barkov, Ekblad, Bobrovsky -- and threw it in the garbage. Traded away all the picks, prospects, and players that had been signed by Tallon and the computer boys, replacing them mostly with guys who were developed in other organizations.

Florida was torn down and reassembled in three years.
So everything except your #2 overall pick top 5C in the NHL, Multiple Vezina winning goalie and #1 overall top pair D?

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
This move should cement Wings into the playoff's I believe. Buffalo , Ottawa both improved , Bruins as well , Tampa back a bit , Panther's back a bit , Leaf's ? Should be a very interesting season .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad