Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
What a load of crap that snake oil salesman is...same kind of grand vision he had with the Leafs.
Didn't have a very good July 1st that's for sure. An undersized D and a couple of undersized cardio merchants on forward. Classic Dubas.

Best move of the day was trading Smith. But even then, all he got of value was a 2nd that's 3 years away.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think the sizzle is off this Maple Leafs build because of repeat playoff humiliations with no sign the core guys have matured in any way whatsoever. So if you're a forward hoping to bandwagon on a Maple Leafs top six role you know you're in a revolving door contract, get scapegoated for the core guys failures and you're on the road again just like that. Seems like that last batch of good guys in ROR and Schenn really didn't like what they saw. And I don't blame them. I don't like either.

Really doesn’t have anything to do with what you mentioned. It’s quite simple. Skinner knows he’s only getting a 1-year deal. He needs to go to a place where his numbers will be unreal and he’ll get PP time. That’s Edmonton. EDM runs two units and draisaitl and Mcdavid stay out there the full 2 minutes while everyone else changes.

Skinner probably would not get top PP time in Toronto

Reactions: Evilhomer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I feel confident Ottawa will finish closer to 1st in the Atlantic than out of the playoffs next season. Depends what happens with Pinto.

Jensen, Amadio, Ullmark, Perron are great additions.
Ottawa wins the summer every year, and then loses the fall every year. Ullmark will not be able to maintain his numbers in Ottawa, and Perron, Amadio and Jensen are depth guys who will do fine, but collectively I don't think they will move the needle for Ottawa.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I like the changes if they trade Marner for a d above Reilly , not sure who that would be though . Also goaltending is still a question regardless . Otherwise they shuffled the chairs again

Reactions: Eye Test

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I like the changes if they trade Marner for a d above Reilly , not sure who that would be though . Also goaltending is still a question regardless . Otherwise they shuffled the chairs again
I would take MM and JT to Preds for Stamkos and Marchessault with picks, lol.
Quite insane that Stamkos and Marchessault is the same cap hit as JT and Kampf or MM and Kampf.

• Haha
Reactions: Superstar

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The way he stole the Toronto job briefly reminds me of Jack Campbell. Extremely mercurial guy who might put together a run for the starting job from a faltering starter but definitely not a guy with the right head space to hold that job, thrive in that job.
I think it's a good place for Samsonov to land. He can do well in short stretches as a backup. That is his career ceiling at this point, absent a completely unexpected breakthrough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I feel confident Ottawa will finish closer to 1st in the Atlantic than out of the playoffs next season. Depends what happens with Pinto.

Jensen, Amadio, Ullmark, Perron are great additions.

We'll see by October but downgrading heavily on Chychrun and adding Perron and Amadio doesn't do much of anything to make up over 20 points in the standings at the bare minimum they will need. Grabbing Ullmark was very good though. Should be able to compete a little more without awful goaltending. Maybe they sneak into a wild card spot but I'd be surprised if they weren't fodder again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really doesn’t have anything to do with what you mentioned. It’s quite simple. Skinner knows he’s only getting a 1-year deal. He needs to go to a place where his numbers will be unreal and he’ll get PP time. That’s Edmonton. EDM runs two units and draisaitl and Mcdavid stay out there the full 2 minutes while everyone else changes.

I don’t think it’s about PP at all. It’s going to a winning team with a chance to be with special players. Not overpaid star boys with a rotten playoff track record.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
On D we are probably done aside from a veteranish #8 d man that goes in the AHL, and comes up in case of injuries, and clearing up space with a Timmins trade.

Up front, I have to think we'll add a top 9ish forward and another bottom 6 forward all though thats likely just Dewer.

Goalies we are done

Reactions: Rocker13

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We'll see by October but downgrading heavily on Chychrun and adding Perron and Amadio doesn't do much of anything to make up over 20 points in the standings at the bare minimum. Grabbing Ullmark was very good though. Should be able to compete a little more without awful goaltending. Maybe they sneak into a wild card spot but I'd be surprised if they weren't fodder again.
Knowing Green's awful system, Ullmark has to be good

Reactions: Duffman955

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We'll see by October but downgrading heavily on Chychrun and adding Perron and Amadio doesn't do much of anything to make up over 20 points in the standings at the bare minimum. Grabbing Ullmark was very good though. Should be able to compete a little more without awful goaltending. Maybe they sneak into a wild card spot but I'd be surprised if they weren't fodder again.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ullmark struggle mightily in Ottawa.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
This Marner trade idea... Honestly, barring the GM pulling a miracle out of his ass, we're stuck with the motherf***er.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I don’t think it’s about PP at all. It’s going to a winning team with a chance to be with special players. Not overpaid star boys with a rotten playoff track record.
I think it is very simple.
Despite how a few here kept saying Salary is based on regular season instead of playoffs stats…we all know a good playoffs means better pay day.
As of now, Oilers got the better odds in making a long playoffs run than the Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it is very simple.
Despite how a few here kept saying Salary is based on regular season instead of playoffs stats…we all know a good playoffs means better pay day.
As of now, Oilers got the better odds in making a long playoffs run than the Leafs.

Yep and they have stars that are worth bangswagoning. Look at Perry, Henrique both re-signing vs ROR taking the first flight to Nashville. Star led culture matters. It’s not good here in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad