Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Somehow I completely missed the Oilers getting Arvidsson, great contract too. Ugh that top six has insane firepower

Skinner and Arvidsson are nice gambles .. smaller skilled players but they should do well with McDraisaitl running the offense.

Didn't make any effort to upgrade their defense though.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I present to you the 2024-2025 toronto maple leafs.
Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 9.16.26 PM.png

Robertson + Lily for Laughton

Marner for Crouse + Schmaltz + picks

Jankrok and Kampf to god knows where, but in this line up we actually can keep Jankrok + Kampf if we wanted

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Marner trade is less likely because our offense has already taken a hit this summer. All of the top free agents are gone, so not like we have fall back option with the freed up money

Unless the Marner trade brings back multiple forward pieces, makes no sense to trade him now or else we really gonna have problems offensively

Reactions: francis246

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Edmonton getting Skinner and Arvidsson makes them look like an it factor team where forwards want to moonlight for a chance to win, pad up some stats with the big guns. I think Toronto is no longer on guy's radars like that.
If I am a player like Skinner. I would choose Panthers or Vegas or Avs or Oilers or Stars or TB or Bruins or Rangers before the Leafs if the contract value and term is equal.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If we want to take a gamble on offense, I would take a gamble on Zadina.

But if not, get either Sammy Blais or Cal Clutterbuck

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner trade is less likely because our offense has already taken a hit this summer. All of the top free agents are gone, so not like we have fall back option with the freed up money

Unless the Marner trade brings back multiple forward pieces, makes no sense to trade him now or else we really gonna have problems offensively
I agree. This is the summer Leafs could had sign Marchessault for 5.5mil, Lindholm for 7.5mil, Stamkos for 8mil if they only traded MM, JT, Calle and Kampf.

Reactions: OVO16

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I am a player like Skinner. I would choose Panthers or Vegas or Avs or Oilers or Stars or TB or Bruins or Rangers before the Leafs if the contract value and term is equal.

Like I say, the repeat playoff failures of guys like Matthews and Marner have caused and will continue to cause a lot of reputational damage for them (and us). Every year they choke, the less serious they look compared to their peers.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Apprently the Flyers have liked Nick Robertson in the past and the Leafs have liked Scott Laughton.

Wonder if there's something there that can be done? What is Laughton's contract

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I’m pretty sure skinner chose Buffalo to be near Toronto.

Also. Why did Buffalo buy him out? What purpose did that serve?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Like I say, the repeat playoff failures of guys like Matthews and Marner have caused and will continue to cause a lot of reputational damage for them (and us). Every year they choke, the less serious they look compared to their peers.
Agree.
At this point, I don’t even think the core believe they can win the Cup or a round.
Which is really sad

Reactions: TMLAM34

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I feels like people would rather play with McDavid then Matthews, because Matthews doesn't dish out assists that will help with the next contract. If you are playing with Matthews, you are helping him chase 70 goals.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Would a deal around Marner for Crouse + Schmaltz be enough?

Schmaltz could potentially have 70+ points with Nylander, Crouse has scored 20 goals before.

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Most of this years cap ($21,592,360 remaining) will go towards signing Raymond and Seider
I think half of the available cap space will go toward signing Raymond and Seider. Detroit will have about $32.7M next season to fill out 9 roster spot (6 forward, 2 dman, 1 goalie). Steve always makes bold move.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Also. Carolina. What did they do. They seem to have gotten worse.

What teams missed out on scoring that need to get better?

I think a Marner contract is most likely.

I have thought a Necas for Marner (at 750) is a total dundon move

I would have said Anaheim but they did noting to get close to competing.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Unfortunately I don’t see Marner being moved. We’re running it back with the supporting cast shuffled yet again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

.. Pretty sparse forward group

Moving Jarnkrok and Kampf frees up $4.5 mill in cap ... I have a hard time seeing them add a name up front and add more depth.

I don't see Liljegren being traded at this point to move salary either, I believe they're happy with the blue line.

That only really leaves moving Marner or Tavares to open up salary. I think Reaves will stick with Berube at the helm.

I mean if it were up to me I'd go Henrique for $3.5 x 3 and add JVR for 1 year at $1 mill. JVR because he would provide some additional offense off of the third line and could be a net front presence for the PP.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
JVR-Henrique-Marner
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Then again I'd be trying to keep Robertson too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feels like people would rather play with McDavid then Matthews, because Matthews doesn't dish out assists that will help with the next contract. If you are playing with Matthews, you are helping him chase 70 goals.

I think the sizzle is off this Maple Leafs build because of repeat playoff humiliations with no sign the core guys have matured in any way whatsoever. So if you're a forward hoping to bandwagon on a Maple Leafs top six role you know you're in a revolving door contract, get scapegoated for the core guys failures and you're on the road again just like that. Seems like that last batch of good guys in ROR and Schenn really didn't like what they saw. And I don't blame them. I don't like either.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

I agree but what if we got back say, William Karlsson and then signed Tarasenko? That spreads out the offense plus we also could get back Theodore and/or futures

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Would be a nice drop in replacement for Kampf.

Leafs could have multiple players who can play both wing & center (if needed) Tavares, Domi, Järnkrok, Holmberg, Dewar + Henrique
Would be a very shrewd move if they moved off Kampf's salary and made Henrique 3C for a year or 2 before Minten comes in

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Domi - Henrique - Marner
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

This could end up as a decent forward group. Come TDL you upgrade Reaves or Jarnkrok

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

.. Pretty sparse forward group

Moving Jarnkrok and Kampf frees up $4.5 mill in cap ... I have a hard time seeing them add a name up front and add more depth.

I don't see Liljegren being traded at this point to move salary either, I believe they're happy with the blue line.

That only really leaves moving Marner or Tavares to open up salary. I think Reaves will stick with Berube at the helm.

I mean if it were up to me I'd go Henrique for $3.5 x 3 and add JVR for 1 year at $1 mill. JVR because he would provide some additional offense off of the third line and could be a net front presence for the PP.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
JVR-Henrique-Marner
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Then again I'd be trying to keep Robertson too.

I think we are gonna see Grebyonkin grab a spot

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad