Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They need to improve the top 9.
As of now, our top 9 looks worse than the playoffs and not like our top 9 looks amazing to begin with.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lets guess these depth signings folks

We're signing Nick Cousins arent we
Clutterbuck, Skinner, A. Nylander, Cousins, Girgensons, Tinordi

Honestly, Cousins would be a solid add to the 4th line and I think Skinner would give us a 20 goal scorer with speed. I also don't mind the idea of Girgensons on a league min deal but he wasn't very good at all with Buffalo.

Leafs probably want and need to add size/functional physicality to their top 9 but you won't get that for cheap.

Are they shoping Marner? Brad saying no update on him. It’s either he’s staying or not.

They aren't. Every insider says they want to keep him and nothing suggests they are trading him. That can change but I would put it at very unlikely. There's probably a better chance they extend him... but that also seems unlikely.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That comment is made up by Friedman. Grasping at straws just to fill a point. If the media is such a big issue, why does Marner love playing in TO so much? Same for Matthews and Nylander, both could have bolted.

Does Friedman think Boston is a better place to play if you suck? How about Philadelphia? Not at all. If this Leafs core sucked this hard for so many years in those cities, they would be done.
EF simp(ly) spreads the "opinions" of Those Who Pay Him.

Reactions: Superstar

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kypreos saying the leafs are going to strip Tavares of the captaincy and that he's offended.

why the drama. just play out the last year and then move on from tavares.

its not like a new captain given the cap structure, cap alllcation and team composition at present means stanley cup or deep playoff run lol

need less drama next season. just playout the year status-quo and move the F on

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Sorry. If this stripping JT of the C and giving it to AM34 is true, lol, just screams MLSE trying to cash in on jerseys and AM34. Doesn't solve anything.

AM learned a lot of lessons from JT on how to be emotionless. I personally don't see captain material. But I also don't like JT as captain. So... sure, why not.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Considering Boosh and Edmunsson went for 3.25m + 3.8m and we got Tanev and OEL for 4.5m + 3.5m I'm okay with the defense upgrade. Judging by the money spent on Skjei,Montour, Toronto wasn't close to getting them. We are better defensive team today then we were in game 7.

Toronto needs to find a way to upgrade the forward depth. They got worse in that department by losing Bert and replacing him with no one. We will see what the next couple of days bring. We are completely priced out in the 3rd line centerman department though.
Getting “better” on defence doesn’t say much. We’re “better” today than in the playoffs, but we had a bottom 10 D core and weren’t remotely close to being good enough in that department so it means nothing. It is still a major weakness.

We did not improve the D to the degree necessary to be a serious contender. Tanev is fine but a 35 year old being your headline acquisition for a blue line that needed a full revamp is a fail.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Doesn’t seem like Brad is done.

We’ve got too many D. We don’t have enough scoring.

Goaltending looks set.

I’d love to sign Skinner.

Trade Timmins, Jarnkrok, Reaves for cap relief.
We have 8 NHL d-man on the roster right now, I would assuming Timmins is traded or waived. (Rielly,Lilly,Haka,McCabe,OEL,Beniot,Tanev).

Goaltending is indeed set.

Forward depth is a issue, I'm not sure what Toronto does for it, current UFA forwards that Toronto could target are: Skinner/Sprong/Leblanc/Rosovlic/Atkison//Sprong/Patcorietty (ideally I think he's the best buy low candidate) As I don't think anyone on that list is signing for under 2m other then Atkison and Patches.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Kypreos saying the leafs are going to strip Tavares of the captaincy and that he's offended.
That is not what he said stop with the bs. He said there’s been internal talk of possibly taking the C away from him and giving it to Matthews. Tavares has not been approached about this yet.

I just don't believe Kypreos though I wouldn't mind Matthews as captian.
Matthews needs to grow up, him hanging out with the Nelk boys tells me he’s still extremely immature.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Q can coach different kinds of games. berube needs his forwards to forecheck hard and play north south, play the boards and lay body.

marner and to certain extent Nylander cannot really play berube style. Tavares is too slow to play berube style that is about 30M+ in cap space that cannot play Berube's style 100%. Except for Matthews the other 3 core pieces who take lion's share of the cap cannot play that style.

I hope I am proven wrong, but we have 8+ years of evidencce watching Nylander and especially marner shy away from contact; and worst marner making ridiculous, costly and glaring mistakes costing Leafs games in the playoffs.

I put a few examples together in Marner thread if interested you can check that out
Berube for sure will have them play north/south but he has always still had skill guys.

You can coach more responsibilty into players but you are chasing your own doom if you believe you can make someone into something they are not.

Nylander and Marner are never really going to be all that physical, and they don't need to be. What he can do is encourage them to be creative without all the high risk backhand plays up the middle.

Since Tre has yet to add any real scoring punch up front, he is going to need the 4 to still score 50% of all their goals.

It is unlikely the Leafs can win 2-1 every night

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Getting “better” on defence doesn’t say much. We’re “better” today than in the playoffs, but we had a bottom 10 D core and weren’t remotely close to being good enough in that department so it means nothing. It is still a major weakness.

We did not improve the D to the degree necessary to be a serious contender. Tanev is fine but a 35 year old being your headline acquisition for a blue line that needed a full revamp is a fail.
I'm not sure what many where expecting with Toronto cap situation, the top tier d-man went way above Toronto price range, and it seems the Pesce/Roys weren't considering Toronto. Toronto went from a d-core last season that couldn't move the puck very well to the forwards to a d-core that can do that now.

Tanev was very very good for Dallas last season, a lot of people are shitting on him due to the contract, but he should be a good player for us for the first 3 years.

It's not an elite d-core, but its a middle of the pack d-core. Toronto is never going to have an elite d-core with how they are built, and they won't be getting an elite d-man until they have to rebuild.

Look at both teams in the cup finals this year, their d-core wasn't elite either, in today's NHL, there are almost few perfect teams.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Berube for sure will have them play north/south but he has always still had skill guys.

You can coach more responsibilty into players but you are chasing your own doom if you believe you can make someone into something they are not.

Nylander and Marner are never really going to be all that physical, and they don't need to be. What he can do is encourage them to be creative without all the high risk backhand plays up the middle.

Since Tre has yet to add any real scoring punch up front, he is going to need the 4 to still score 50% of all their goals.

It is unlikely the Leafs can win 2-1 every night
They take up about 50% of cap... so that should be expected. You want to be the big dogs then go f***ing do it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That is not what he said stop with the bs. He said there’s been internal talk of possibly taking the C away from him and giving it to Matthews. Tavares has not been approached about this yet.

Matthews needs to grow up, him hanging out with the Nelk boys tells me he’s still extremely immature.
OK, who are the Nelk boys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad