Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Assuming the leafs send down Webber and waive both Timmins and Murray, they have roughly $3.55M in cap space and need a 3C. Maybe Wennberg. Maybe a trade.

Overall, this is not a bad July 1st, IMO.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
so what exactly - and realistically - did you want the Leafs to do?
beg the players who didn't want toplay in Canada to pretty please change their minds?
to just throw Marner out the nearest exit and say thanks for the memories and everything is peaches?

it's July 1st. When Shanahan was first hired it took him a year to legit burn it all to the ground. whatever you want Pelley to do it's not going to happen that quickly.
IMHO, 8 years of NOT getting anywhere in the playoffs are MORE THAN ENOUGH.

MAJOR changes need to come fast and furious. Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic has gone on long enough.

Pelley promised changes. So far, nothing has changed other than some old vets brought in to replace ones that have left. One of the core players has to be dealt. Looks like they waited so long that only dispatching one of Marner and /or Tavares are left.

NMCs or not, Marner, Tavares , or both, should have been traded by now. Our Leafs have committed to Matthews and Nylander. Good players are now signing elsewhere because our Leafs have NO CAP ROOM for them.

I know, it's just my frustration boiling over. I'm much closer to death and want to see a Maple Leafs win a SC before I expire. I was only 12 years old when they won it in 1967 !!!!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hankanpaa to the leafs. Made sense. Hoping its for super cheap. Needed a physical body back there for sure.

He can play too. He had an unfortunate injury last year which caused him to miss games, but he was a regular for Dallas

He should come in super cheap. Could be a great low risk value contract because I think his injury lowered his value

I am wondering why did Dallas sign Boosh and not re-up Hankanpaa; was he looking for more moolah and not that most of the money has dried up and he is not getting his piece of the pie he is willing to sign for less?

Curious!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
H
I am wondering why did Dallas sign Boosh and not re-up Hankanpaa; was he looking for more moolah and not that most of the money has dried up and he is not getting his piece of the pie he is willing to sign for less?

Curious!
Haak has less leverage coming off an injury filled season. If we actually manage his workload, could be a playoff gem.

Reactions: PromisedLand

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hakanpaa played 18 minutes a night for the stars last season. His injury was what made Dallas really pay extra to get Tanev

Also fun fact, even with his injury...he still led the Stars in hits

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
no that's not what he said.

This is what he said

"“It means the world,” he said sincerely. “Obviously, we’re looked upon as… you know, kind of gods here to be honest. And it’s something that you really appreciate.”"

Now tell me he's wrong? most people who ever wore the crest is basically loved in this city (if enough time passes enough). the team (when they play well) are placed on a great pedestal. (hell if they make a massive hit they're treated like royalty for a month).

We all know what Marner meant but it's so freaking frustrating to people playing obtuse and using this to brow beat this guy into submission because he doesn't play like Darcy Tucker and Shayne Corson (who for the record. are still very much looked on MUCH fondly in these parts).
My point was not a diss on Marner but rather it is stating that the medias will never use how Marner’s words such as looked as gods being a Leafs as reason that attract players to Toronto.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Canadian teams should get together and come up with some proposals for the next CBA talks. 30% of the league accounting for over 60% of league revenues gives Canadian teams leverage. Use it.
Pretty much. but you know they won't.

My point was not a diss on Marner but rather it is stating that the medias will never use how Marner’s words such as looked as gods being a Leafs as reason that attract players to Toronto.
I see. I misunderstood - I apologize. (though i do stand by my comments beause i have seen people continue to flog that dead horse here today)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The avalanche are in Cap-hell. I feel like there has to be a trade there for the Leafs

Liljegren, Holmberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Timmins, Marlies, Picks.....Try to get Ross Colton here because he's a perfect fit

Reactions: aingefan

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Imagine actually trying to improve team weaknesses like defence and goaltending. Feels good to have some common sense in free agency unlike that dummy Dubas making safe 4th line forward signings on July 1st.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Now trade: Liljegren / Kampf / Jarnkrok / Holmberg + Sending down Webber and Murray's contracts.

That gives us $9.2M in cap space to fill out the rest of the roster. $10.3M if you get rid of Timmins.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Has anyone been keeping up with WSH's salary cap, I think i now understand the reason for their CapFriendly purpurchase.
Lol. I'm sure they'll figure it out... I mean they have to... but great post. I'm all for people keeping it light. We need more of this today. Cheers.
Assuming the leafs send down Webber and waive both Timmins and Murray, they have roughly $3.55M in cap space and need a 3C. Maybe Wennberg. Maybe a trade.

Overall, this is not a bad July 1st, IMO.
I think it's been a better day than most people feel like.

Are D looking at it just in a nutshell for next year... much better than the end of last. We need to move the puck better from the back end.

I just have a funny feeling OEL does great here.

Swedish guys in Toronto. A long history there that I'm a huge fan of.

Reactions: Brobust

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The avalanche are in Cap-hell. I feel like there has to be a trade there for the Leafs

Liljegren, Holmberg, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Timmins, Marlies, Picks.....Try to get Ross Colton here because he's a perfect fit
Perfect 3C to play with McMann and Jarnkrok

Reactions: OVO16

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Other thoughts, I would've liked to have had Pesce but deciding to get more options on D was also good rather than have the majority of the free cap space on 2 defencemen.

1 billion dollars worth in contracts signed today with 115 contracts. Craziness and it's almost 400 million more from last year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I must say, I really like the current D corps and it is probably the best pre season D corps we have in a while.
Barring injuries and plays dropping off a cliff, I don’t see Tre needing to trade for Dman at TDL unless it is Makar.

Reactions: CelticDruid

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Imagine actually trying to improve team weaknesses like defence and goaltending. Feels good to have some common sense in free agency unlike that dummy Dubas making safe 4th line forward signings on July 1st.

Treliving's first ever signing with the Leafs was Ryan Reaves. His 2nd? Klingberg.

Yeah...

Reactions: Forgotusername

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Just send Kampf the other way for Colton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad