Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just looking at things we have just over 2.5M in cap space if everybody that needs to be sent down is and we carry one extra skater

We have one hole and it's the 4th line LW

No obviously we could use Cowan or Grebyonkin as a top 9 LW, or resign Robertson who could take that role and push McMann down

I think we should go in another direction though, put Holmberg in the 4th line LW spot and bring in a center for 2.5M

I think there's a chance one of Wennberg, Henrique or Roslovic might sign a 2.5M ×2

Wennberg might be one of those guys that hold on in hopes to get money/term but never gets it and ends up on a 1 year deal. I dunno why but we'll see.

Henrique apparently has a few offers he's mulling over. Roslovic is pretty meh.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
-Elliotte says he expects the Leafs to make a contract offer to Marner if they haven’t already. Not sure if it will be a raise. Nylander was shopped extensively last offseason but couldn’t find a deal to their liking.

-Says they were after all defensemen on the market but many were outside of their comfort zone like Edmundsson, Roy etc.

-Elliotte he really likes the OEL signing. Thinks it’s a good signing

-Says he bets a bunch of players are seeing how Marner is being treated by the media and not a lot of players wanted no part of Toronto because of it.

-Markstrom was their number 1 goalie target.

-Elliotte loves the Stolarz signing.

-Tried hard to bring back Bertuzzi. Leafs weren’t getting Guenztel. Talked to Debrusk but it was too much money and term.

-Says Skinner is more likely to Edmonton if he signs in Canada.

-Elliotte says Drai isn’t re-signing unless he knows McDavid is staying.
That comment is made up by Friedman. Grasping at straws just to fill a point. If the media is such a big issue, why does Marner love playing in TO so much? Same for Matthews and Nylander, both could have bolted.

Does Friedman think Boston is a better place to play if you suck? How about Philadelphia? Not at all. If this Leafs core sucked this hard for so many years in those cities, they would be done.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
-Elliotte says he expects the Leafs to make a contract offer to Marner if they haven’t already. Not sure if it will be a raise. Nylander was shopped extensively last offseason but couldn’t find a deal to their liking.

-Says they were after all defensemen on the market but many were outside of their comfort zone like Edmundsson, Roy etc.

-Says he bets a bunch of players are seeing how Marner is being treated by the media and not a lot of players wanted no part of Toronto because of it.

-Tried hard to bring back Bertuzzi. Leafs weren’t getting Guenztel. Talked to Debrusk but it was too much money and term.

One last lowball offer to Marner and trade if he doesn’t accept?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wennberg might be one of those guys that hold on in hopes to get money but never gets it and ends up on a 1 year deal. I dunno why but we'll see.

Henrique apparently has a few offers he's mulling over. Roslovic is pretty meh.

Roslovic has some positional flexibility and scores about half a point per game, it also fees up Domi for the top 6RW
I think it's worthwhile

I'd offer Wennberg 2.5×1 or 2 whichever he prefers and see if he bites

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Barrett hayton
Skinner would be my picks of what’s left.

Still wondering what anaheim
Isles Vegas are up to?
Carolina huge step back.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Tax issue in TO with the Leafs is a fallacy...made up to squeeze more money out of the Leaf organization...many US states have high taxes, some more than Toronto. In other professional sports such as NBA and MLB, those players pay even more taxes in those US states, but you never hear them complain about taxes, and they aren't overpaid playing in one state over another.

How come Boston didn't have to overpay millions for Zadorov? Taxes are high in Mass compared to other states in the US.

if you want to believe it's a fallacy- that's your perogative.

Many players flat out state they don't want to play in Canada [not just Toronto]
as I stated. there are several reasons.

1: Many don't want to be in a demanding Canadian market (how many times do you hear about the Edmonton/Winnipeg tax?). So while Massachusetts has a higher state tax (like most of the Eastern Seaboard) - they're an American city. I would think that would be pretty clear.

2: a LOT of teams that get the "wait how do you get that sort deal" is signing in cities that have very low tax (or the cost of living is better or the climate is better).

3: if they are married - a lot of people don't want to move their family into Canada and it's a whole different educational system. this has been stated a lot. It's easier when they are younger but once they are in school it's an issue

4: they just do not want to play in Toronto unless they overpay and Toronto generally does it. (which is whatever. where i would flat out just be like fine, see ya. and then tell people stop airing your contract demands etc in Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal because note most NHL news stuff tends to leak out when the are in Canada beause it moves faster than it would in you know anywhere NOT New York, Boston or Philadelphia).

Comparing the NBA/MLB that only has one City in Canada (Also Toronto, and how many superstars from those leagues line up to sign in Toronto?) - vs. the NHL that has 6, it's generally country wide is kind of odd if you ask me.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Bro the FAFO rule applies to marner situation. Remember how ugly his RFA negotiations were with his agent running his mouth in the media and threatening offersheets and what not....

Then Marner releasing this "video" because fans were PISSED OFF

Let us get one thing absolutely straight here. Fans didn't screw mitch marner.

mitch marner, paul marner and his agent i.e. the marner camp screwed mitch marner.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Don't tell

Tre pursued Zadorov. Zadorov choose Boston. When Tre traded for Tanev he likely knew a higher offer wouldn't get Z to sign here. That's the last guy our core 4 wants to meet first round.
So the narrative that players don't want to sign here is due to a 4/5 dman choosing to sign in another prime destination?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Pinto would be a nice get. What would Ottawa want? We don't have our 2025 first anymore, right? Maybe Liljegren?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hockey maybe the only sport where the athletes don’t want to play in the biggest markets

personally I think its a bunch of crap. hypothetically even if for the sake of argument i agreed (which I don't) then how many markets are there where there isn't much fans/media scrutiny?

eventually those teams would have spent money and reach cap space then what? players are gonna cry like children and not sign with other NHL markets?

its an absolute load of crap as far as I am concerned.

Boston fans were celebrating when Bruins didn't qualify Bertuzzi last season.
Philly, Montreal (all canadian cities), New York, Chicago, California teams, etc... they all have media/fan scrutiny.

Its a load of crap IMO that a narrative is being pushed to f*** over Leafs to pay more money to the players and then justify the overpayments sitting on a f***ing high horse. Screw with that shit

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
if you want to believe it's a fallacy- that's your perogative.

Many players flat out state they don't want to play in Canada [not just Toronto]
as I stated. there are several reasons.

1: Many don't want to be in a demanding Canadian market (how many times do you hear about the Edmonton/Winnipeg tax?). So while Massachusetts has a higher state tax (like most of the Eastern Seaboard) - they're an American city. I would think that would be pretty clear.

2: a LOT of teams that get the "wait how do you get that sort deal" is signing in cities that have very low tax (or the cost of living is better or the climate is better).

3: if they are married - a lot of people don't want to move their family into Canada and it's a whole different educational system. this has been stated a lot. It's easier when they are younger but once they are in school it's an issue

4: they just do not want to play in Toronto unless they overpay and Toronto generally does it. (which is whatever. where i would flat out just be like fine, see ya. and then tell people stop airing your contract demands etc in Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal because note most NHL news stuff tends to leak out when the are in Canada beause it moves faster than it would in you know anywhere NOT New York, Boston or Philadelphia).

Comparing the NBA/MLB that only has one City in Canada (Also Toronto, and how many superstars from those leagues line up to sign in Toronto?) - vs. the NHL that has 6, it's generally country wide is kind of odd if you ask me.
I honestly think people underestimate how much of an issue the weather likely is for a lot of players.

Reactions: francis246

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bob says Leafs and Oilers in on Skinner

Skinner should bet on Edmonton to me but he's from the GTA and just as good of an opportunity to play a lot of good minutes here and finally play some playoff games. Leafs need goal scoring depth, especially with Bertuzzi gone and Robertson likely traded, so he would fit in that very well.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad